Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:31 AM

216 posts, read 446,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I think living in LV could be traumatic for a lot of people. You know how many Californians moved there to boomerang, or go somewhere else? Most, it seems. It all depended on timing, whether they timed their exit ok or are upside down, that is if they bought. You almost knew that unbridled boom had to end. The other thing is that people will always tell you "this is a transient town." If people say that about a city or metro area, it's an early warning that many people do not like living there.
The thing that got me was the terrain, and the socio-economic feel of the place.
I come from B.C. which is basically a rainforest. We have tall trees and water on three sides. To go from that to desert is a bit alarming.
Also, the staggering gaps between wealth and poor were too much to take. Just seeing families destroyed by the place was a little unbearable as well. I don't know if I would raise a family there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,242,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
I come from B.C. which is basically a rainforest. We have tall trees and water on three sides. To go from that to desert is a bit alarming.
I believe you. I've lived in metro Seattle. I've been to Vancouver countless times. Las Vegas is only appropriate for vacationing. Going into the 24 hour Starbucks (there's 2 of them) after midnight can really give one a feel for how calloused LV is.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I believe you. I've lived in metro Seattle. I've been to Vancouver countless times. Las Vegas is only appropriate for vacationing. Going into the 24 hour Starbucks (there's 2 of them) after midnight can really give one a feel for how calloused LV is.
I've always said that if I ever believe in zombies, Vegas would be the first place they'd spring up.
Kidding, but seeing people walk like they're zombies is troubling. Drug addicts, soulless eyes and faces, and let's not forget the slot/table goons spending hours sitting there. I talked to a guy once that said at one table for 17 hours straight - didn't get up to pee, eat or anything!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,656,329 times
We, just got back from a trip there last week. We go about once every two years or so (from the east coast, CLT). We always have fun there, but we spend more time going to nice dinners, clubs, etc than we do gambling. And since we did run off and elope there two years ago, it obviously has a place in our heart.

That said, we always have a blast there, but we like traveling to other places, so while Vegas stays "in the rotation," it is not a destination we hit up on a regular, frequent basis. This time out we spent 5 nights there - booked a room at the Cosmo on Marriott points (if you book 4 nights on points at a Marriott property, you get a 5th night for zero additional points, so it was a no-brainer). That said I think 5 nights was stretching it a bit and we were a bit fried by the last day; future visits will probably be kept to 4 nights.

We always try to book so we are not coming in on a Friday or Saturday and not leaving on a Sunday. And we do go all out when we stay and drop our bags at a nicer property - we did TheHotel and Hotel32 on the last two trips and we're thinking about the SkySuites at Aria our next time out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telex_610 View Post
The $20 trick might work,

Old 10-24-2012, 06:58 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,793,261 times
Maybe someday. Been to Atlantic City many times. I imagine Vegas is AC on steroids.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post

Yeah yeah, I know it's essentially only a tip for the check-in staff. It's amazing how many times you get huge upgrades for it though. Only in LV

Old 10-24-2012, 07:55 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,242,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Maybe someday. Been to Atlantic City many times. I imagine Vegas is AC on steroids.
You imagine correctly. Plus palm trees, and rattlesnakes in its hinterlands.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:03 AM

3,481 posts, read 9,374,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I have been there twice for business conferences and once for a personal trip. I would be happy if I never have to go back but something tells me I'll have more business meetings out there before my career is over. I love the desert and the scenery surrounding LV but I find LV itself to be downright awful. If I was a gambler I'd rather go back to Reno. If I was going for desert scenery I'd go to NM, AZ, SoCal, southern UT or central NV. For entertainment choices and food LV is tough to beat but I'd rather hit NYC for shows and eats.
That pretty much sums it up for me.

I am on the east coast and have been to LV once for pleasure and twice for business and have zero desire to visit again. Logistically, it is an easy flight for me but I would rather spend my money and free time elsewhere (and this is coming from someone who does enjoy gambling now and then!). Even if I lived closer, LV just doesn't do it for me. Other cities, not only in the US but the world, do much of what LV does only better (dining, shows, scenery, gambling)...maybe not all in one location but honestly, I don't need ALL of that in one location. Unless it is on my company's or client's dime, I will likely not return.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
If I lived in SoCal, it would be a weekend ever two to three months.

In the Midwest, it is one week a year.

I have NEVER been bored in Las Vegas and really enjoy 1st class food and accommodations for a reasonable amounts.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:46 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,461,850 times
I think many people who move to Vegas are attracted by the glitz and flash of the strip and the possibility of quick riches, only to realize later that that is not the case. I think that's why Las Vegas is the city with the highest suicide rate in the US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel