U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 PM

5,327 posts, read 11,049,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
koffie met gebak (coffee and apple pie)
*Gebak* is not really akin to the American Apple pie.

On the other hand, when it comes to *Gebak*, in English better translated as Tortes, or *taartjes* in Dutch, especially with a cup of coffee, then in Holland, you are at the right place.

You really need to try that !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 PM

601 posts, read 657,014 times
Thank you ALL. Your input is very much appreciated. Although I grew up in LA with 3rd world latino parents, I have much appreciation for classical music,museums, art ..

if theres anything else please dont hesitate to post again!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,107,916 times
UK - depends on how long you're thinking of visiting for. Assuming that you're flying in to London Heathrow airport concentrate on London itself and places easily reached from there. I found East Tilbury to be a fascinating small town to wander round.
Steve Rose: on East Tilbury the most Modern town in Britain | Art and design | The Guardian

Oxford, I'd recommend, and not too far from there is the White Horse of Uffington.
Uffington White Horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would never recommend Stonehenge to anyone. If you want to see some nice countryside and English villages try southwest of London, near the town of Dorking - Mickleham, Betchworth and Brockham are fairly unspoilt villages and the churches in all three are open to visitors. Dorking has a traditional English High Street still (although there's not much else there).

Expect some rain in England in January (or any month in England!). And remember that the lowest floor of a building in the UK is the 'ground floor' - you have to go upstairs to get to the 'first floor'.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,140,845 times
Following on from Beenice's comment on Stonehenge, I would agree.

It is a poorly displayed site but should be transformed once the road is shut off and the new visitor centre complete, which should be sometime in Autumn next year.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 AM

600 posts, read 890,589 times
Yes, definitely pack waterproofs and Wellies for England. It *will* be cold.

Avoid the steakhouse tourist traps that seem to abound in the West End of London. IMHO those are the places that give England's food a bad rep. Fuzz gave good advice in this respect - often the best places are tucked away in a back street.

Pick up the current copy of Time Out when you get to London. They include many local entertainment listings. The Evening Standard, London's daily evening paper, will provide lots of local things to do as well.

You will NEVER get bored in London!!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:48 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,107,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinalimey View Post
Pick up the current copy of Time Out when you get to London. They include many local entertainment listings. The Evening Standard, London's daily evening paper, will provide lots of local things to do as well.
Time Out became a free listings magazine recently but with reduced number of pages and, consequently, fewer listings. Another listings magazine for London is Scout London, issued every Tuesday. Scout London

Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 AM

601 posts, read 657,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Time Out became a free listings magazine recently but with reduced number of pages and, consequently, fewer listings. Another listings magazine for London is Scout London, issued every Tuesday. Scout London
NUICE! ok ok, best Indian food joint???

Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 PM

600 posts, read 890,589 times
Well, my favourite restaurant in the world happens to be an Indian restaurant, but it's located outside London. It's the Last Viceroy in Bourne End, Bucks.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,242,717 times
Been to all three. I was only in Amsterdam for a short time last January, but I didn't find it to be gloomy at all! Perhaps it's because I was there during New Year's, but it seemed as lively as my hometown (NYC). Enjoy your trip!!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:47 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,154,728 times
In January you will be freezing your ass off in these places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or