U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM

535 posts, read 472,799 times

Advertisements

So here's the idea. Next summer my girlfriend is traveling to Alaska to visit some family. She flies home two days before our anniversary. So I had an idea for a great surprise. I tell her I will pick her up from the airport, then surprise her by turning around and flying her to a tropical paradise for a few days.

Looking for something relatively affordable, preferably the kind of place where you can get by without renting a car. We would be flying from Chicago. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,614,514 times
I would think she might prefer a bit of a respite before heading off to a tropical place. I'm thinking she might be a bit exhausted from her Alaska trip. As romantic as it sounds to be doing this for her, give her a break of a few days.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:54 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,267,837 times
I agree with Newdaawn. Your gf might be exhausted just from the flight. If you want her to relax, why not a cruise to a place such as Bermuda where you really do not need a car if you want to get out and about. I am not a fan of cruising, but it would be very relaxing and a lot of fun.

Of course, SXM is my favorite place, but flights are not affordable these days; but with two countries and 37 beaches and the some of the best restaurants in the Caribbean, especially Grand Case, that is where I would suggest.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,620,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I would think she might prefer a bit of a respite before heading off to a tropical place. I'm thinking she might be a bit exhausted from her Alaska trip. As romantic as it sounds to be doing this for her, give her a break of a few days.
This.

Plus she'll have cooler weather clothing packed (and most likely dirty). Arriving in a hot destination with a suitcase of dirty laundry suitable for the winter is not my idea of a great way tos tart a vacation.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:10 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,128,171 times
I think it sounds like a great idea, particularly if you can find a way to send the Alaska luggage home rather than lugging it to the tropics. A couple of places that might work for you and be pretty easy and relatively cheap are Old Town San Juan in PR or Playa del Carmen, Mexico. Between the two I would choose Playa every time but that's just me.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,356,377 times
I'm also betting that she'd prefer time to go home, dump her Alaska gear, and re-pack for the tropics. Or are you going to pack for her? Few men are capable of packing successfully for a woman.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,659,936 times
I think it is a great idea, however. Knowing Alaska and if she is going in the summer more than likely she is going to be exhausted from running around and being up with the midnight sun. Long flight back to turn into another long flight again would make me completely exhausted if flew somewhere else. It takes me at least a week to settle down to Hawaii before I can relax after Alaska. I would give her a couple of days and you can still surprise her, pack a bag for her, etc. You know her best though if she is the type that can handle it though.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:47 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
After acclimating to Alaska, Chicago might be as tropical as she would want.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:16 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,783,617 times
I've got to agree with previous posters. Some down time at home is mandatory when we return from trips. Its a romantic idea but the practicality is a somewhat serious judgement call.

Its especially rolling the dice if she should have a bad return flight and just needs to chill out for a few days with no interest in jumping on another airplane. JMO

Old 11-03-2012, 03:25 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,290,033 times
I'd also tend to agree with the other posters; having some down-time at home for a while will probably be better than whisking away on another adventure. I love to travel but it's also nice to get home and relax after being abroad.

If you want a good recommendation for a tropical destination, I'd say the Maldives would be a great experience. Multiple islands with different feels, here's a bigger resort and a few photos: Conrad Maldives Rangali Island Resort - Gallery

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel