U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:56 AM

2,591 posts, read 5,284,814 times

Advertisements

As I recall, the story was that the total radiation dose from the scanners was substantially less than the radiation dose incurred from cosmic rays during the flight itself.

That being the case, a reasoning person should either avoid all air travel or, well, chill out about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
As I recall, the story was that the total radiation dose from the scanners was substantially less than the radiation dose incurred from cosmic rays during the flight itself.

That being the case, a reasoning person should either avoid all air travel or, well, chill out about this.
The point is that while you can't avoid the cosmic radiation, you can avoid the additional radiation from the scanners.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 AM

9,251 posts, read 10,902,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The point is that while you can't avoid the cosmic radiation, you can avoid the additional radiation from the scanners.
Exactly.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:53 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,029,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> The dangerous machines were already removed

Umm, can you provide a reliable source for saying that they are dangerous?
Umm, the EU? They banned the scanners after conducting research in to their safety. Maybe they're just bunch of right wing conspiracy nuts.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,573,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
BTW: the Germans don't give a rats about all the paranoid security measures. I walked through a metal detector with my shoes, belt, keys, and watch on. Regular scan for the carry-in luggage ( no one really paid any attention to it), and I have no idea what they did to the check-in luggage, because I never saw it scanned. When I walked out the plane in Berlin, they stamped my passport and I proceed to the baggage conveyor. Then I walked out the airport...

Same with the check in for return flight to NY.
It's too bad this isn't available to all flyers in the US. I recently became a member of the TSA trusted traveler program which allows me the same thing (no shoes off, no laptops open and just go through the medal detector) but I had to pay for that privilege and go through a thorough background check and an interview with a custom agent. All that for what Europeans get everyday.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:11 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,756,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I think it is a shame. That means that those of us with medical devices have to go back to the full body pat downs.
Sorry, but even those without medical devices have been patted down. I've flown twice in the last few years and both times I was x-rayed and patted down because the stupid machine doesn't work properly.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM

37,949 posts, read 55,708,171 times
Sure you can say: we have right to opt that out. So I tried. Once. I was waiting in a line and when I came to be scanned I said I would rather be patted down. They said - sure, we are busy and will do it AFTER we finish with this line.
I turned around and saw "a mile long" line behind me.
There was NO WAY to wait for them to finish the lane ( as new people were adding to it all the time ) so I HAD to go through the scanner to be on time for my flight. The opt-out is a scam. Yes, they offer it, but they make damn sure you do not come with that "stupid idea" ever again.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 11-06-2012 at 12:38 AM..

Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,756,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The opt-out is a scam. Yes, they offer it, but they make damn sure you do not come with that "stupid idea" ever again.
Exactly! I really dislike the x-ray machine. And I don't like all the riffling through my belongings. I prefer driving now...even taking the train is better than flying nowadays.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,241,183 times
I wish they would pat me down. I don't care if some TSA creeper that I'm never going to encounter again sees the outline of my body. I'd just like them to stop opening up my carry-on bag every effing time.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:06 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,121,564 times
If you don't like security restrictions when you fly, then find some other way to travel. Vote with your dollars so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or