U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 PM

38,077 posts, read 55,850,828 times

Advertisements

Finally good news: TSA pulls use of controversial full body scanners at JFK, LaGuardia airports. The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that the backscatter machines are going away from Chicago's O'Hare Airport as well. The dangerous machines were already removed from Boston's busy Logan International Airport earlier this month.
TSA Pulls Use Of Controversial Full Body Scanners At JFK, LaGuardia Airports CBS New York

The TSA said that the machines were causing unacceptable delays at the two NYC airports and that removing them is an effort to speed up the lines.
Really? Since when has the TSA given a damn about customer service?
TSA said: "We are replacing some of the older equipment and taking them to smaller airports". Hahaha... what a joke! The backscatter machines, which were installed in 2009, are supposed to be state-of-the-art.

BTW: the Germans don't give a rats about all the paranoid security measures. I walked through a metal detector with my shoes, belt, keys, and watch on. Regular scan for the carry-in luggage ( no one really paid any attention to it), and I have no idea what they did to the check-in luggage, because I never saw it scanned. When I walked out the plane in Berlin, they stamped my passport and I proceed to the baggage conveyor. Then I walked out the airport...

Same with the check in for return flight to NY.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,627,330 times
They have replaced the backscatter with the MUCH safer millimeter wave in much of MCO. I wonder if a handful of TSA agents came down with thyroid cancer...

Old 10-29-2012, 04:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,644 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Millions of body scans, on only a few intercepted grandmothers... TSA...

Old 10-29-2012, 05:12 PM

8,602 posts, read 11,090,954 times
They aren't replacing them, as just moving them to smaller airports.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 PM

^^^ Oh, that's just a first step to remove them without agreeing that they were not a welcomed choice. They have simply been moved to other, less busy, airports where, presumably far fewer passengers will be exposed to radiation ...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-29-2012, 08:04 PM

14,264 posts, read 24,013,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Finally good news: TSA pulls use of controversial full body scanners at JFK, LaGuardia airports. The Chicago Sun Times is reporting that the backscatter machines are going away from Chicago's O'Hare Airport as well. The dangerous machines were already removed from Boston's busy Logan International Airport earlier this month.

I think it is a shame. That means that those of us with medical devices have to go back to the full body pat downs.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,300,509 times
> The dangerous machines were already removed

Umm, can you provide a reliable source for saying that they are dangerous?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,265,718 times
The scanners never bothered me. Not many people want to look at my body these days, so I've appeciated the attention.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 PM

Lots of people think that all the extra x-rays are dangerous for their health. If they're so safe, why doesn't the TSA allow some independent, non-affiliated third party test the safety of the backscatter x-ray machines? And post it publicly?
Other airports use millimeter wave scanners, which look like glass telephone booths and do not use ionizing radiation, or metal detectors....
We already talked about in many threads.
Here are some opinions: Not sure how reliable they are in your eyes, since the tests were not made by the government...
Marquette University study shows radiation from airport scanners extends into organs - Milwaukee - The Business Journal
It is against the law in several European countries to X-ray people without a medical reason.
In order not to risk jeopardising citizens' health and safety, only security scanners which do not use X-ray technology are added to the list of authorised methods for passenger screening at EU airports. All other technologies, such as that used for mobiles phones and others, can be used provided that they comply with EU security standards.
EUROPA - PRESS RELEASES - Press Release - Aviation security: Commission adopts new rules on the use of security scanners at European airports
A recent T.S.A. report said that between May 2010 and May 2011, there were 3,778 service calls concerning mechanical problems in backscatter X-ray machines. Radiation safety surveys were conducted after only 2 percent of the calls.
Airport Security Scanners Leave Lingering Worries - NYTimes.com

Old 10-29-2012, 09:27 PM

9,263 posts, read 10,922,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> The dangerous machines were already removed

Umm, can you provide a reliable source for saying that they are dangerous?
Radiation. As someone who is dealing with possible thyroid issues, it's a biggie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or