U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:28 PM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

I'm trying to find a simple round-trip from (Ontario) California to Vegas
You'll have to fly out of LAX

drive slowly west for 60 miles on I-10 to LAX (be early!) park and then wait for the flight...
then add fly time; land, taxi, & terminal time; then get to the car rental and wait then drive to a hotel.

or drive faster for 230 miles up (I-15) right to the hotel and probably get there sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 AM

601 posts, read 657,014 times
Theres tons of nonstop flys between LA and LAS ..not sure if youre looking correctly. united and american both offer non stop

Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 AM

1,680 posts, read 3,184,709 times
Have you looked at other airports in the vicinity such as John Wayne, Palm Springs, Burbank, Long Beach, or LAX? Ontario isn't really that big of an airport so flight options will be limited. As a matter of fact depending on where you are located within the IE it is probably faster just to drive to Las Vegas compared with flying if you are looking at total travel time.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:04 AM

16,761 posts, read 7,470,175 times
Southwest has been offering several non-stops to Vegas from Ontario for a while. Southwest requires one to use their website; the other travel sites may refer to Southwest, but they link you there.

US Airways used to have lots of non-stop flights to LAS when they were America West but the consolidation/merger ended that. Now the PHX hub is the only way to get there.

It didn't seem like that bad a drive. I used to live in Apple Valley and had to go to Nellis a lot, 3 hours from the I-15 in Victorville to the Strip. That was the late 80s with 55 mph. From San Berdoo it would be a good 4-hour drive, and I don't mean good as in pleasant or scenic. However, it's a lot cheaper, and here's a consideration: The cheapest fare is a non-refundable round trip of $136. There's parking at Ontario unless you have a ride to the airport. The flight's 55 minutes, it's on Southwest so it's likely on-time. You need to be at the airport at the very latest an hour prior... add to the commute to the airport, parking, etc, and so it's a good idea to be at the Vineyard (or Archibauld) exits about 1:45 prior to departure. That is now 2:40 for trip, plus whatever it takes to get from home or work to ONT. Then baggage claim if you check baggage (takes too long in Vegas in my opinion) and ground transportation (rental cars are in a central location a few miles off-airport) and you're looking at 3:30 or more. Driving may be a half hour longer but it's maybe 20 gallons of gas. Call it less than $100. One other thought: Airlines occasionally overbook and the cheap fares are the involuntary bumps unless someone volunteers to give up their seats. Also, airplanes are often delayed, or flights cancelled, for many reasons, which can add to travel time. I once flew Phoenix-Tucson and it would have been, door-to-door, the same time. And that was pre-9/11.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:16 AM

5,454 posts, read 8,151,272 times
Thanks a lot guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicant310 View Post
Theres tons of nonstop flys between LA and LAS ..not sure if youre looking correctly. united and american both offer non stop
I don't want to drive an hour to L.A. when I'm 15 min away from the aontario Airport, so I'm not trying to leave from L.A. I've seen that Southwest has several non-stop flights. They're the only airline that does it, it looks like.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:36 AM

16,761 posts, read 7,470,175 times
In practice if the drive is 200 miles or less and largely high-speed, it's quicker to drive. Throw in the intangible, such as weather or other delays, and the pain of flying is much greater. Not what it used to be. A couple years ago I was flying from Fort Walton Beach/Eglin AFB to Lawton, OK, with a stop in DFW. Winds closed all Southern Plains airports (OKC, Lubbock, etc). In the end I got into Lawton via a 2.5 hour bus trip. The flight's about 1 hour from getting on to off the aircraft, so in the end it's break-even. Having spent several nights in the DFW, Chicago and Miami airports because of delays or cancellations, I find it's often better to drive, even if it is a pain.

That said, I won't drive to Hawaii. Too far.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:19 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
That said, I won't drive to Hawaii. Too far.
And you have to keep the windows rolled up.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:23 AM

469 posts, read 763,710 times
Southwest flys non stop from LAX, Burbank, Onterio to Vegas. The LA to Vegas leg also had 2 free cocktails on a very short flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or