U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 AM

37,966 posts, read 55,724,604 times

Advertisements

Ok, now we have dates.
What about 8-17 January?? You could fly for $509 Round trip. Of course, fares could be even cheaper.

Attached Thumbnails
Too late to plan an international trip? (NJ/NY to Vancouver)-flights-new-york-vancouver-google-search2.png  
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 02:10 AM

15,104 posts, read 13,787,158 times
Sent you a DM.

I said eight days would be ideal, but I'm certainly not against a few extra!

Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
... It seems like I'm really cutting it close here, because I would have to fly home by January 20th at the latest.... Might be worth expediting it.
You are not cutting it close. As several have said, you can book your flights now without your passport. You can provide the passport information to the airline later, so you have plenty of time to get a passport.

You probably could fly to Seattle, but in your case, flying to Vancouver I think would be less stressful. (Unless you're into trains--there is a train between Vancouver and Seattle, but service is not frequent.)

Watch your layover times. Depending on the size of the airport where you change planes, you want sufficient time to get to your ongoing flight without feeling stressed--for me, this means no less than 2 hours connect time.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
You are not cutting it close. As several have said, you can book your flights now without your passport. You can provide the passport information to the airline later, so you have plenty of time to get a passport.

You probably could fly to Seattle, but in your case, flying to Vancouver I think would be less stressful. (Unless you're into trains--there is a train between Vancouver and Seattle, but service is not frequent.)

Watch your layover times. Depending on the size of the airport where you change planes, you want sufficient time to get to your ongoing flight without feeling stressed--for me, this means no less than 2 hours connect time.
Yeah I'm going to have to consider that. Just everything about airports sounds overwhelming, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM

4,241 posts, read 8,078,290 times
All good info above...to the OP, unless you are on a very tight budget, I would rec'd the expedited PP app, and hunt for a non-stop flight, (not 'direct flight'), from one of the major NYC area airports to YVR.

The PP is in your hand in days/weeks, not months, and it is a long flight/very long day door to door. even with a non-stop vs a flight with a stop or two, in my experience. Saving a couple hundred seems like hollow savings for flinging yourself across the continent.

Van is a fabulous city and area, by the way...
GL, mD

Richmond, British Columbia - Google Maps

Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Just thought I'd update this thread and let you know I made the trip. Pretty last minute for someone who rarely travels and has never traveled alone before. It was quite the adventure. I was at a total of eight airports during the course of the trip: Newburgh NY, Detroit, Seattle, Vancouver, Kelowna BC, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and LaGuardia NYC. I was supposed to meet up with my friend in Vancouver, but the weather prevented that from happening so I had to buy ticket to Kelowna. Ended up hanging out in Vancouver airport for about 5-6 hours, took a one hour flight and arrived to snow in Kelowna. I spent the week in Kelowna and had a great time. Met some very nice people and got a taste of life in another country. Not drastically different than the US, but definitely some notable differences.

Overall a fantastic trip and very eye opening. No longer intimidated by the thought of traveling by myself (at least in North America). Hope to go back soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or