U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,358,064 times

Advertisements

She is the one who has to find out where there are opportunities for her to get a good job and advance her career. The location, sadly, will have to be secondary I think.

She should do the research and see what's out there--that will be the challenge.

Why has she excluded Australia and New Zealand?

Britain has a warmer climate than Canada--has she thought about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,950,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Montreal Canada is not where she wants to stay so she was asking me where could she move in the world, heres her list of criteria=
Predominantly English speaking
Must be warm enough to avoid winters,
She doesnt want to go to the USA,or Australia or NZ
I was stumped as to what to suggest.
Any ideas?
India.

But methinks she will probably not go there, and if she does, I would strongly suggest visiting first.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,330,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Daughter has just finished University clutching a masters degree in environmental science and although she has plenty of job opportunity here in Canada she's looking further afield as she hates winters.,
Montreal Canada is not where she wants to stay so she was asking me where could she move in the world, heres her list of criteria=
Predominantly English speaking
Must be warm enough to avoid winters,
She doesnt want to go to the USA,or Australia or NZ
OK, she doesn't want cold weather, but wants English speaking. So she crosses off the USA, Canada, Australia, and NZ. English wise, that pretty much leaves S. Africa, Great Britain, Ireland, Belize, India, and Guyana that I know of. Not sure of the weather in these places, but know a few have a lot more moderate winter temps compared to Canada.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 AM

2,537 posts, read 8,131,640 times
Most of eastern Australia from Sydney north doesn't really have cold weather. Based on her criteria, I certainly would keep Queensland in play. The northern half of Queensland is rather tropical actually. Darwin in the Northern Territories is also tropical. The north island of NZ is quite temperate year round. It generally gets neither too hot nor too cold.

Similarly, to cross of the entire USA is too broad, too. Places like Florida, south Texas, Arizona, southern California and Hawaii would offer up warm weather and English. Some of the Pacific Islands might also bear consideration: Guam, Fiji, etc...

Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM

Location: Republic of Panama (Central America not in Florida)
2 posts, read 2,151 times
Good morning jambo101:

The Republic of Panama presents a wonderful retired lifestyle with secure living and state of the art health care. Modern accommodations, free of natural disasters, a broad array of cuisine choices, fresh fish, fruits, vegetables, low prices on spirits, wine and beer. Panama supports an active expat community, plenty things to do including golf, tennis, fishing, surfing sports events and discount prices for retirees. Maybe you haven’t included Panama as one of your choices as a place to move or retire, but Panama is your best choice. Please let me show you why...You are More Than Welcome in Panama: Unlike some other countries, Panamanians love foreigners! They have a deep-seated respect for all nationalities and especially older people. They prove that by giving “pensionado” discounts, you will get a photo ID that puts you at the head of any line and saves you money every step of the way. There’s no racism here. Panamanians are a bouquet of colors and regardless of who you are or were, you are treated with respect, good manners and courtesy.

Anytime you're in Panama you're not far from the beach: The Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean are four hours of distance from each other, Caribbean Sea trace the majority of the country's borders, and much of that distance includes a gorgeous margin of white sand. Not far from Panama City is Playa San Carlos, where sunshine, surfing, diving, snorkeling, and sailing await you. For a remote escapade, retreat to Contadora Island. Or if you're eager to explore the Caribbean shoreline, start with San Blas or Bocas del Toro. You'll quickly discover that this sampling of sandy destinations is only a fraction of Panama's expansive list. Temperatures in Panama have little variation. Overnight lows are reliably in the 70's, and daytime highs reach into the upper 80's, rarely peaking above 90 degrees. Most of Panama's rain falls during the rainy season, which typically runs from April to December. And while thunder and rain can be commonplace, Panama lies outside of the Caribbean's hurricane belt, so violent storms are of no concern. Besides she can get a job in The Panama Canal or Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, send me an e-mail to ED22JR3@hotmail.com if you need more info!

Best regards,

ED22JR3

Last edited by ED22JR3; 11-15-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-16-2012, 02:30 AM

34,446 posts, read 41,558,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post

Why has she excluded Australia and New Zealand?
She's been to both countries several times and she isnt too keen on returning.
As my family lives in Florida she's spent much time traveling between Montreal and Florida, she's wanting something a bit more culturally diverse.
She's been on several cruises to the Caribbean and central America and once out of the general tourist areas she finds much poverty and 3rd world atmosphere.
She is now expanded her criteria to take into account her bilingualism (French/English) and is being drawn to the northern Mediterranean area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or