U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:03 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,686,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdav87 View Post
my husband and i will be driving from savannah georgia back home to los angeles ca late next month...we probably will be taking highway 20 all the way to the 10 freeway once we are out of Birmingham. has anyone done this drive before? the states we will be driving through taking this route will be Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi,texas, new mexico and arizona. I have no idea how the weather is like during the winter in these states...we will be on a time limit so we will try and get there as soon as 2 days, 3 if necessary...if all goes smooth and there are no road obstacles. can anyone give me an insight of what to expect weather wise? someone who has travelled through these states during the winter? i kno the weather can be unpredictable and theres no telling now..i just want opinions. thanks...

Ok, here's the deal:

Snow is possible during that time frame from where you start until Tucson, AZ. Possible, but not likely in most places. However, ice is far more common along that whole route and that's a whole 'nuther issue and it's even possible to see heavy snow around Whitewater, CA, west of Palm Springs. It doesn't happen very often, but I have been caught up in road closures there.

Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and Texas don't have many, if any, plows and salt trucks. If they get out at all, it will be only to salt the overpasses, which is pointless and useless. Most of the time, they're simply not coming so deal with it by laying up and letting the sun do it's work. It won't be long. I've never seen snow or ice on the roads there for more than 2 or 3 days, max. Most of the time, it melts off during the day and then re-freezes at night so take that into consideration when planning night time driving. Run off from melted snow or ice freezes black or clear and you'll never see it until you're on it. If you happen to run onto a patch of it and the rear end slips, just put the transmission into neutral or push in the clutch until you're off of it. Take away the torque from the rear end and slippage stops. Of course, you may still have steering problems! LOL

Your most likely places for snow, which actually affords better traction, is from about Toyah, TX, just before you enter the Davis Mountains, to the top of Texas Canyon, just west of Willcox, AZ.

I-10 won't afford you enough relief to justify the extra miles. It remains mostly snow and ice free, but only to about San Antonio. After that, the odds are about the same as I-20, but with fewer places to hide out.

1200 miles a day is do-able for a couple. I'm 63 years old and regularly drive 1000-1200 miles a day by myself, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. Just keep the driver's side door closed as much as possible and you can cover a lot of ground really quickly. The speed limit varies from 70-80 along I-20 and you can easily and confidently get away with 80-90. An average of 80 mph times 15 hours yields the desired results. And, you've still got 9 hours to fuel, grab a hamburger to go and sleep. No prob.

Most of the time, you won't have any problems at all and can just cruise along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 AM

13 posts, read 95,103 times
Thank you Craigcreek. It's like you read my mind. Have everything ready by the 20th so come the 21st we just take off and hit the road.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 AM

13 posts, read 95,103 times
Thank you stillkit. For the important points you bring up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or