U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM

8,260 posts, read 11,124,485 times

Advertisements

Let us know if you find any stores in MOA that aren't in a thousand other malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 12:59 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,942,765 times
If you have kids there is a really cool indoor water park near the MOA and yes MOA is fun for many hours...with kids. You wouldn't catch me in there without them...

Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 PM

16,019 posts, read 19,698,244 times
It actually is quite awesome at Christmas. When I was there there were trees lining the mall representing each shop. But, I think a weekend would suffice....A mall is mall is a mall.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM

25,583 posts, read 31,855,100 times
I was at the Mall in Edmonton about 25 years ago. I would like to visit it again.

6 years ago I spent some time at MOA. It is kitchy. It is okay to visit, but there is much more than the Mall to take in when you're in the cities.

I'd like to make a trip to the Cities, and that would a stop, not the only stop.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,613,838 times
I've been to both MofA and West Ed. Neither is a place I'd choose as a vacation destination, both are just large versions of any other malls--you'll even see a handful of stores repeat themselves in various sections of the mall.

I visited MofA on a day off from work while in the area, and West Ed was a day out of a two week trip through a good chunk of Alberta.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,188,890 times
It is a mall. Simple as that. I've been to the largest mall in the world, in Dubai, and it wasn't much different than MOA. It just had more shiny accents to give it the upscale feel. I much prefer the city, not the shopping attractions.

I avoid MOA at all costs, to me it is just a mega-ultra-uber-regional shopping center.

Going to the city of Minneapolis would be much more worthwhile.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
Been there.

It's a mall.

'nuf said.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:05 PM

28,243 posts, read 39,914,600 times
If you have a car: Chanhassen Dinner Theatres | Broadway musicals, corporate events, wedding receptions, theater discounts MN

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 PM

2,737 posts, read 4,347,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Anyone been to Mall of America while on vacation....or made it their destination for vacation?

I'm feeling stupid for wanted to go there...just to see all I've heard about.

I've got places around the world I've been to and want to see again -- and others I still want to see....and here I am talking about going to freaking Minnesota to a stinking mall. I know it's more than that, but still.

I'm ashamed to tell friends I really want to go.

Anyone who has been, please talk me out of it. Tell me it's just stores I'd see at any other big mall -- only more of them in one place. I know it has a ski slope but I've been skiing...in the Alps as a matter of fact. So do I need to see a slope at a Minnesota mall? And I know it has a amusement park. Been to those too.

I just can't justify my fascination with the place.
Been there more times than I ever wanted to be. It's part of living in The Cities, and having kids.
Personally, I hate and loathe the place. It's the picture of everything that's wrong in America.

My advice to you would be to go. At least then you can say you've been there. Get it out of your system.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:20 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,525,822 times
It's true, a mall is a mall is a mall...and the MoA is just that, another shopping mall, only humungous. I live in the Twin Cities and many Minnesotans detest the MoA and avoid it like the plague. But many others really dig it. It's a matter of what you prefer to do with your time. There are so many other more interesting things to do in Minneapolis/St. Paul than go to a mega mall. As my twenty-something son says, "It's a mecca for consumer whores." Yes, his sentiments are bit extreme (and I don't approve of that language!), but in a sense he's kind of right. Little kids seem to like it, for obvious reasons (Lego store, the amusement park, decor at Xmas), but they get cranky in their fairly quick. (At least that's what I've noticed over the years.) Not sure what that's all about---probably sensory overload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or