U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:31 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,125,750 times

Advertisements

It depends on where in The Bahamas. I would rather go to Miami than the Nassau-Paradise Island area in The Bahamas, but if it was the Exumas or Abacos I would prefer The Bahamas. For a better FL beach vacation than Miami I would opt for the Naples or Tampa area on the Gulf Coast, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
The Bahamas are still in the Caribbean region. Heck, some even consider South Florida as being part of the Caribbean region.
No they aren't, they are in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean. The water is very different. Other than the US Virgin islands and Puerto Rico, none of the US is in the Caribbean. It's either on the Pacific, Atlantic, or in the Gulf of Mexico, none of it is in the Caribbean.

I live in Florida, we don't consider any part of the State to be in the Caribbean any more than people from California consider their state to be on the Gulf of California.

Last edited by annerk; 11-20-2012 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 10:59 AM

7,288 posts, read 13,502,647 times
Bahamas.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:27 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
First Miami would not be my choice in Frlorida or even a good comparison.The Keys would be but then cost comes into the question. I mean anyhwere you go abilty to pay can make a huge differnce in sourroundings.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
It depends on where in The Bahamas. I would rather go to Miami than the Nassau-Paradise Island area in The Bahamas
Yes.

Quote:
For a better FL beach vacation than Miami I would opt for the Naples or Tampa area on the Gulf Coast, however.
For me, it's north Florida. For the best FL beach vacation (in my humble opinion) it is either the northwest Gulf coast, or my neck of the woods, upper northeast side just south of the Georgia border. But up here you can only swim late May through October, a bit more on the Gulf.
It all depends on what you're looking for. I love the wildlife, low key atmosphere, lack of condominium development.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:08 PM

10,511 posts, read 8,436,792 times
The Bahamas are located in the Gulf Stream, which goes far to explain the warm weather and warm, clear water, which is as many shades of blue as Ireland has shades of green. If you enjoy scuba or snorkeling, go for the Bahamas, which have a unique culture as well. Sample conch chowder, fresh fruits, visit the various tropical gardens and other attractions, go for a cruise around whatever island you choose, collect shells, enjoy the pale pink sandy beaches - and a complete change from everyday life.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM

21,322 posts, read 21,895,576 times
I'd take Miami in a heartbeat as it's practically on the Caribbean anyway and will be if Cuba continues to sink.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM

2,657 posts, read 479,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
It depends on where in The Bahamas. I would rather go to Miami than the Nassau-Paradise Island area in The Bahamas, but if it was the Exumas or Abacos I would prefer The Bahamas. For a better FL beach vacation than Miami I would opt for the Naples or Tampa area on the Gulf Coast, however.
Exactly, there is far more to The Bahamas than just the Nassau/Paradise Island area. My personal favourites are The Exumas. I went to the beach on Exuma where they shot a part of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie, (took the fast ferry from Nassau) and that particular beach was absolutely breath-taking. I'm talking about pure natural, undisturbed beauty. The sand is literally like powder. The Abacos are always a great treat and not quite as hot as Exuma. There is just so much for a beach and ocean lover to enjoy about The Bahamas. Best dive spots: Freeport, Nassau, Eleuthera, Long Island; game fishing & yachting: Abaco, Bimini; ecotourism: Andros, Eleuthera, Exuma. The Exumas are a country unto themselves. They are called "The Exumas" because they form a 365-island archipelago. Most of them are small rocks and cays, but they are great for exploring. Many celebrities have bought private islands in The Exumas for the very same reason. There are also an extensive network of blue holes and underwater caves. I am a native of The Bahamas, but I haven't lived home in almost 15 years because right after I graduated from University in England, I found a job in the UK. But every opportunity I get and I have a holiday, I am on the first flight back home. You know what they say, "there's no place like home".

Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,360,362 times
If I had to do Florida, it would be Sarasota, rather than Miami!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,098,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No they aren't, they are in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean. The water is very different. Other than the US Virgin islands and Puerto Rico, none of the US is in the Caribbean. It's either on the Pacific, Atlantic, or in the Gulf of Mexico, none of it is in the Caribbean.

I live in Florida, we don't consider any part of the State to be in the Caribbean any more than people from California consider their state to be on the Gulf of California.
I know, that's why I said in the Caribbean region. Also, I didn't say that everyone thinks this way, just that I have known people who do. Even a poster above said Miami is practically the Caribbean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or