U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM

22,669 posts, read 28,697,836 times

Advertisements

How much driving are you used to?

I lived near Montrose for 3 years and saw almost all of Scotland as day trips. But I'm from cattle country and think nothing of driving 4 hours each way, or even more. I didn't see the Shetland Islands but I did go to the Isle of Skye, and several day trips to Loch Ness to look for the monster. I bought a year long pass and I'm pretty darn sure I saw every castle in the country.

You are not going to cover a fraction of Scotland in a week and there is plenty to see near Edinburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Hey Folks,

Working on some plans for a major trip (2-4 weeks) to Scotland (and northern England) for 2014.

Question to those who have actual experience: am I correct in my assumption that one can hit almost all the Scotland attractions on day tripping from Edinburgh? I know that some areas take a day's drive to get there but in general, most of Scotland seems reachable on day trips. All comments would be appreciated.
The Eastern Highlands is a good bet from Edinburgh, although again a car is perhaps essential.

You can take the train to Glasgow easily from Edinburgh, although staying overnight would be better.

Have a look at some of the train routes you can take--not sure if you can get to Oban, for example, but possible.

As for Rick Steves, I've always suspected he's an idiot, and now I know he is!

Old 11-26-2012, 04:19 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,781,044 times
Folks,

All input is greatly appreciated. My apologies for not being more specific in my original post. Driving is not an option for us. We are looking at a combination of one day and/or multiple overnight(s) bus tours and/or trains out of Edinburgh.

We're planning on a two week visit, most probably in September. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM

If you are not going to have a car, then Edinburg it is. There is plenty to do and see right in the area and if you want to take trains, the trains in Scotland are quite good and will get you just about anywhere you want to go. Or at a minimum, they will get you to plenty of places to keep you busy for 2 weeks.

There are bus tours to places like Loch Ness and the whiskey trail, and the tour buses are clean and well maintained. You'll do fine.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,664 times
You can get to Oban by train in about 4 hours, so a good overnight trip. You can get the ferry there to the Isle of Mull, and catch a bus to the short ferry trip to Iona. I recommend it!

http://www.thetrainline.com/

Old 11-29-2012, 01:54 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,266,116 times
Hi Ameriscot:
I hope you don't mind my troubling you for a bit of information (and hopefully the moderator is ok with this) about living in Scotland.
I've been to Edinburgh several times and absolutely love it there. I'm retiring early next year and my wife has expressed an interest in moving over there - yikes! Actually, I (we) have been considering such a move for many years.
My question is very basic: aside from the intial purchase of a house (our budget is about $300K US) what is an estimated, realistic COL per month?
I know cars are a bit more expensive there but we only need one. Utilities (and petrol) most likely are higher but things like food, property taxes etc. concern me. We wouldn't necessarily want to live directly in Edinburgh but would want to be within 15 or so miles of there.
Many thanks for any information, or direction to good sources would be vey much appreciated.
Hope you are having a bonny day!

Old 11-29-2012, 02:50 PM

It's been a couple of years since I lived in Scotland, but heat is really expensive and insulation doesn't seem to be very important. Gasoline was 4 times the cost, but I don't know what it would be now.

I found most items in the stores to be the same amount as in the USA, but it was in pounds and not dollars. So a shirt that cost $16 in the USA would be 16 pounds in Scotland. But it costs you $2 to purchase one pound, so effectively, the shirt cost you twice as much.

Groceries are more expensive, especially meat. Items that you know will make your life more comfortable are simply not available, so you do what the Scots do and do without. You get used to being cold all the time because nobody can afford heat. I couldn't stand to be indoors at stores or anyone's house when I first got back to the states. The indoor temperatures were stifling.

You can get year long passes to see castles and ruins, so that ends up being quite cheap. Everybody gardens because you can do that at home and not spend gasoline, so there are lots of beautiful yards to enjoy.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:28 PM

4,123 posts, read 4,747,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Hi Ameriscot:
I hope you don't mind my troubling you for a bit of information (and hopefully the moderator is ok with this) about living in Scotland.
I've been to Edinburgh several times and absolutely love it there. I'm retiring early next year and my wife has expressed an interest in moving over there - yikes! Actually, I (we) have been considering such a move for many years.
My question is very basic: aside from the intial purchase of a house (our budget is about $300K US) what is an estimated, realistic COL per month?
I know cars are a bit more expensive there but we only need one. Utilities (and petrol) most likely are higher but things like food, property taxes etc. concern me. We wouldn't necessarily want to live directly in Edinburgh but would want to be within 15 or so miles of there.
Many thanks for any information, or direction to good sources would be vey much appreciated.
Since I am out of town now and only have my phone its too hard to do a long reply. Will do so later.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:58 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times
I know the OP wants to take trains or buses, but about driving those winding one-lane roads, is there any special etiquette about driving those roads? If you meet other cars and there isn't room for both, does one back up until you find a turnout?

Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM

14,248 posts, read 14,137,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Democrat View Post
Hi Ameriscot:
Try asking in the UK forum as you may get more responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel