Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to Mall of America while on vacation....or made it their destination for vacation?

I'm feeling stupid for wanted to go there...just to see all I've heard about.

I've got places around the world I've been to and want to see again -- and others I still want to see....and here I am talking about going to freaking Minnesota to a stinking mall. I know it's more than that, but still.

I'm ashamed to tell friends I really want to go.

Anyone who has been, please talk me out of it. Tell me it's just stores I'd see at any other big mall -- only more of them in one place. I know it has a ski slope but I've been skiing...in the Alps as a matter of fact. So do I need to see a slope at a Minnesota mall? And I know it has a amusement park. Been to those too.

I just can't justify my fascination with the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I can't speak for the MOA, but if you have any interest in Minnesota just make it a part of your trip up there. There's another mall, the West Edmonton Mall, which seems interesting, but in the end it's just a huge theme park with shops.etc but cool nonetheless.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
MoA was very disappointing for me, but the MSP airport is nice .

I would use MSP as a 'connection' to Edmonton, and go see their mall (I haven't been there yet.

I mean to tell you I was REALLY disappointed in MoA. Definately DON"T make it a Vacation, only a Must do, if stranded in MSP for a few days on your layover to Edmonton.

West Edmonton Mall vs. Mall of America

Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,188 times
Us Minnesotans tend to avoid the 'Megamall' (or Megahell) like the plague. I would not recommend it for anything more than a few hours, and wouldn't get within 500 yards of the place around any public holiday.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:08 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
It has the same stupid stores as every other mall, I would have no idea why someone would make it a destination.

Passing by and have the time? Sure, why not, have lunch or dinner there, but to make it a destination seems ridiculous considering it has the same stores as any other mall/city.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:42 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It has the same stupid stores as every other mall, I would have no idea why someone would make it a destination.

Passing by and have the time? Sure, why not, have lunch or dinner there, but to make it a destination seems ridiculous considering it has the same stores as any other mall/city.

Ten years ago, there were a lot of original stores in the place.''Now, it is pretty much the same as any other mall ... just more of it.

And the restaurants are some of the most mediocre in MSP.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
I got bumped off a plane at MSP with my kids while making a connection to Salt Lake City. Long story, but the bumping was voluntary. They not only gave us 3 roundtrip tickets anywhere in the country, they put us up for free in the Hilton Hotel with vouchers for food.

We needed something to do, so I thought of the "Mall of America" and took the kids over there on the free shuttle from the hotel. It was actually a decent way to spend one afternoon. However, there is no way I'd want to spend more than about 3-4 hours in the mall. Its like any other mall you seen. Its just bigger. When I was there, there was a small amusement park located on the ground floor of the mall. I'm glad we went there, but it was more a question of just being able to say that I've been to the "Mall of America". Its not a big deal at all.

The other thing I noticed coming from a dry, arid climate is that Milwaukee and St. Paul are incredibly humid and uncomfortable in the middle of the summer. So, if you go during the summer be aware of that.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,029,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Anyone been to Mall of America while on vacation....or made it their destination for vacation?
Been there, done that. I wouldn't make it a destination. But if you are in Minneapolis, it's an OK place to spend half a day, and waste some money buying a bunch of crap. I suggest that you look for some other things to do in Minneapolis and St Paul. Because the Mall of America is just shopping mall. A really big one, but still just a shopping mall.

Best Things to Do in Minneapolis - St. Paul | U.S.News Travel

Things to do in Saint Paul: Check out 57 Saint Paul Attractions - TripAdvisor

365 Things To Do In The Twin Cities, MN | Things To Do In Minneapolis and St. Paul | Activities, events and local businesses in Minneapolis, St. Paul and the surrounding area.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
We stopped in MoA during our eight-week road trip through the States. This was in 2005 when we still lived in Europe, and the road trip that took us to many large cities and one-stoplight towns was to introduce the country to one of my students, a 16-year old Italian boy.

Reason 1 for the stop in MoA: I thought the boy would have something to tell his friends about the largest mall in the US. Reason 2: I wanted to see a mall again (I missed malls while living oversea.)

My student did not care for it one bit. My husband did not care for it one bit. I ended up power walking through the whole mall in half an hour. Very disappointed.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
We've been to MOA. It's just a huge shopping center (4 stories) with a small amusement or entertainment section. It can take 5-6 hours, or more, just to shop and see all the average anywhere stores. The food is poor to very poor and expensive. It's not the place for the physically challenged.
It's probably a good teenage hangout place to stay out of trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel