Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM

26,882 posts, read 43,372,110 times

Advertisements

Stay in reputable chain hotels that staff their desks at all hours, that don't seemingly allow or encourage loitering and have rooms with interior entry doors. It's amazing the number of chain motels all along I-95 that have a weird, seedy element about them in terms of people hanging around. Microtels and Fairfield Inns (of the less expensive budget chains) are the ones I'd recommend most on your trip down that don't seem to have those issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,779,368 times
You are probably 1000x more likely to be hurt in a car accident than to be killed/raped on the road. Simple common sense is your best weapon like others have said. Drive during the day. Stop at busy gas stations in safe areas. Scout out your hotels on tripadvisor beforehand. You'll be fine, just don't fall asleep at the wheel and avoid rush hour in NY, Philadelphia, DC...

Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,647,546 times
It is fine. Your mother is ridiculous.

I've criscrossed this country between NY, FL and TX alone and with companions.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,936,774 times
My daughter routinely drove from the DC area to Alabama....multiple times per year! As long as you don't put yourself in ridiculous situations, you'll be fine!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:39 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,624,998 times
You probably wouldn't even be able to find an interesting adventure if you wanted to. Boring drive, nothing will happen.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:55 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,836,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You probably wouldn't even be able to find an interesting adventure if you wanted to. Boring drive, nothing will happen.
Lol, this. But, it would probably cost you less to fly than make that drive round trip. You should work on getting over your fear of being in the air. I think it's one of the most limiting phobias. And there is no guarantee of good weather along the coast in Dec.

I make long distance drives regularly to visit my mother. The biggest enemy on the road is boredom. If you insist on driving, get some books on tape, or load up an IPod with music.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:09 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,181,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I wanted to make it clear that I don't feel that way about truckers or anyone, it is my mother's concern.
I think CSD610 is right, 99% of truckers are amazing. It's the other 1% that you need to worry about. I have heard that there is some speculation that some serial murderers are truckers (it's the perfect career, chock full of opportunities for that kind of deviant). I have also heard that rest stops are dangerous places so try to stop at large and crowded gas stations instead.

That being said, I think it's safe to drive to FL on your own, taking into accout some of the important things other posters have said. I have driven cross country alone many time as have my friends and granted we are older than you, I still think it's doable for you.

My one friend taught me to look as ugly as possible when travelling by car alone - no make up, no sexy clothing etc. She wears something loose and non revealing with a baseball cap. It would be great if the cap said "POLICE" on it.

Have your car checked prior to the drive and have a plan in effect if anything happens (like a flat tire etc.). If that happens you could phone your mom and tell her where you are while you wait for triple A (and give her their plate # etc.). Personally I' d rather drive on a rim to safety than risk my life.

I'd try to keep a 1/2 tank of gas at all times and stop for it at large stations where you can let you dog have a bathroom break and do the same for yourself. You could bring a cooler so you need less meals and get the rest at very large, busy stations.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,331,299 times
Watch out for the rapists that jump from car to car on the highway. Not much you can do if it happens. I wouldn't risk it.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,876,529 times
does anyone know if most of the hotel chains will allow a 10lb dog?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I wanted to make it clear that I don't feel that way about truckers or anyone, it is my mother's concern.

Let me be clear about my response. Your Mother should worry more about the guy walking down the street behind you than a man who makes his living driving a truck to deliver the goods that everyone uses to make their daily lives easier and more enjoyable. You have a better chance of getting hit by a bus than you do of a driver taking time out of his already long day to make you his sexual toy.

Either take the trip or don't but those who are unaware of the reality of the life of a driver and his family need to keep their "dangerous" comments to themselves because they have NO CLUE what the TRUTH really is and those of us who LIVE THAT LIFE are very protective of our men and women drivers, their families, their reputations and we get quite OFFENDED by comments such as you stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel