U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,120,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
does anyone know if most of the hotel chains will allow a 10lb dog?
Yes, you can call in advance, most charge a little extra for the dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,019,152 times
Top 5 Pet-Friendly Budget Hotel Chains | Petside

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM

4,060 posts, read 9,120,620 times
Last time I checked there still was freedom of speech in America. The OP is NOT attacking your family or your loved one, she's simply stating a belief that a family member of hers has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Either take the trip or don't but those who are unaware of the reality of the life of a driver and his family need to keep their "dangerous" comments to themselves because they have NO CLUE what the TRUTH really is and those of us who LIVE THAT LIFE are very protective of our men and women drivers, their families, their reputations and we get quite OFFENDED by comments such as you stated.

Last edited by adventuregurl; 11-23-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 09:30 PM

8,740 posts, read 7,697,184 times
Quote:
Let me be clear about my response. Your Mother should worry more about the guy walking down the street behind you than a man who makes his living driving a truck to deliver the goods that everyone uses to make their daily lives easier and more enjoyable. [/b]
For the record, the guy walking beyond you probably isn't going to rape you either. Sheesh, there is such a fear of all men in this country it's ridiculous...

Old 11-24-2012, 05:55 AM

662 posts, read 1,040,882 times
Quote:
Let me be clear about my response. Your Mother should worry more about the guy walking down the street behind you than a man who makes his living driving a truck to deliver the goods that everyone uses to make their daily lives easier and more enjoyable. You have a better chance of getting hit by a bus than you do of a driver taking time out of his already long day to make you his sexual toy.

Either take the trip or don't but those who are unaware of the reality of the life of a driver and his family need to keep their "dangerous" comments to themselves because they have NO CLUE what the TRUTH really is and those of us who LIVE THAT LIFE are very protective of our men and women drivers, their families, their reputations and we get quite OFFENDED by comments such as you stated.
Being protective is one thing but to go through life with blinders on is totally another!!!

No,truckers are so tired at rest stops they go right to sleep,is that why truck-stops are full of prostitutes?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:20 AM

37,143 posts, read 45,675,592 times
Go and live your life. Just plan ahead and be sensible, as you would be around your home. Best Westerns and LaQuinta tend to be dog friendly, but I think this varies from hotel to hotel.
Just get online, Mapquest your route, and get your reservations before you go. This is good for you to become an independent adult.
At rest areas, keep in well lighted areas and groups of people. All the rest areas have dog walking areas.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 AM

613 posts, read 905,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I really want to go to Florida to visit my mom this winter. I have almost an entire month off of classes and work doesn't start until January 14th.
My classes end on the 10th of December.

I have done this drive twice round trip (4 times total). But I was always with other people.

All of my friends are starting their careers so it will be hard for them to go, I pretty much already know they won't be able to come.

I will also be bringing a 10lb dog.

I'm 23, and will pay for everything on my credit cards and pay it off once I start working.

My mother is worried that on the highway I can be easy prey to sex offender types and she even mentioned truckers being dangerous.

I know flying is better but I'm scared of flying and just don't feel ready to do it yet.
Ive done the trip a few times from Boston to Fort myers. You should be pretty safe like other posters have said stay in well lit areas and dont talk to strangers. I dont know if your into it but theres a good top less cofee shop in South carolina off of 95. lol worst decision of my life. One word pancakes

Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM

10,311 posts, read 11,232,767 times
Of course it's safe.

Of course, it's much safer to fly, and possibly cheaper.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 AM

13,823 posts, read 18,807,495 times
I would say yes because I went to college in Boston and yes I drove home to florida every year this was when my folks lived in winter haven and that was quite a trip but yes of course you can do it and like others have said stay in well lit areas and dress down such as a ball cap , jeans and flannel shirt and you should be fine . I would watch the roads for ice and snow too . take care .

Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 AM

22,764 posts, read 16,845,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
For ANY traveler; a CB radio may be worth considering. $50 bucks will get you a decent one; even a hand-held might be sufficient. Granted, there's a few morons that get on the CB radio. But it can be invaluable to let you know about traffic backups. And most of us truckers would be happy to take a traveler under our "wing". ThreeWolves in Snow, the only issue I have with cars parking on the truck side of rest areas is that truck parking is VERY scarce in most parts of the country. PLEASE don't park on the truck side unless you are in the largest U Haul-type truck and/or pulling a trailer. Have a great trip!
I was not in their way in any way, shape or form. It was not an issue. And I will continue to park on the truck side with my tiny little car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or