U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM

65 posts, read 81,544 times

Advertisements

orlando is generally known as the center of tourism throughout america and the world. but how about its cleanliness? security? traffic? weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 09:26 AM

2,601 posts, read 5,303,505 times
Gotta reply to this one. A lot of people like Orlando but I am not one of them. Mostly theme parks with long lines, pre-digested experiences and muggy hot weather. Whether it's clean, secure, or has lots of traffic doesn't matter to me.

I suppose if you've got kids you gotta go. But if you don't- you don't have to!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 AM

8,281 posts, read 11,136,078 times
Gave you a rep for that one, rational. Unless you have kids Orlando is just a bland boring tourist trap. And how did you ever get the idea it's "the center of tourism".? That's got to be a joke.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:18 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,464,602 times
a "world center of tourism?" not in anybody's wildest imagination after travels to major international destinations

Theme parks clustered in an area do not a "center of tourism" make.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,021,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Gave you a rep for that one, rational. Unless you have kids Orlando is just a bland boring tourist trap. And how did you ever get the idea it's "the center of tourism".? That's got to be a joke.
I have tried to like Orlando ... but it has been a struggle.

Cheap flights, good. Usually cheap rental cars, good. Hotels with ridiculous"resort fees." Really poor restaurants compared to the rest if the state.

Other than to walk around Lake Eola and a trip to Wekiwa State Park for swimming and canoeing, I would skip Orlando.

Personally, I had more fun in Tampa and Jacksonville.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 PM

4,532 posts, read 5,115,349 times
as a long time previous resident,orlando is great--the local restaurants have wonderful food.plenty of night life activity,great malls,an easy ride to parks,old spanish towns,a great winery,a quaint spiritualist enclave,wonderful antique villages-------try getting your to do info from the local paper---there is much more than theme parks in the area

Old 11-24-2012, 12:45 PM

22,745 posts, read 28,807,925 times
OP, do you live outside the USA? I know that the folks in Britain seem to think that Orlando is where you go if you are taking a vacation to the USA.

On the west coast, nobody even talks about Florida and I only know one family that went to Orlando and they only went because they got a free vacation.

I've never been to Orlando, but I suppose that if you live somewhere close by, it would make a good place to go if you had lots of young children who insisted upon being entertained nonstop.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:22 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
There are some bad parts of town, traffic on I-4 can be brutal, and at certain times of the year the tourists are unbearable.

But we've got an incredible music scene, tons of stuff to do both inside and out, and a great restaurant scene if you know where to go.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:25 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,638,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, do you live outside the USA? I know that the folks in Britain seem to think that Orlando is where you go if you are taking a vacation to the USA.

On the west coast, nobody even talks about Florida and I only know one family that went to Orlando and they only went because they got a free vacation.

I've never been to Orlando, but I suppose that if you live somewhere close by, it would make a good place to go if you had lots of young children who insisted upon being entertained nonstop.
On the other hand most of my east coast friends have never been to the west coast, and many think that there are three cities, LA, San Francisco, and Seattle. When I tell people I'm going to Walla Walla or Paso Robles they look at me like I'm speaking Greek. It's not a regional thing, our entire country is provincial.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM

7,688 posts, read 16,124,355 times
Orlando has actually done a nice job of segregating the tourista areas on the SW side of town by the airport, so if you live there, you never have to involuntarily deal with obnoxious and overstimulated vacation-goers.

I'm not a theme parks person, but I actually really like Orlando from downtown to points north of there like Winter Park, the Vietnamtown area on Colonial, College Park, Lake Eola, etc. It's a place of surprisingly interesting architecture, chains of lakes, parkland and botanical gardens, and a few cool museums. And yeah, good restaurants if you know where to look. I think a lot of folks who like to slam the town never got further from Disney than Mall of the Millenia or one of the outlet malls.

There are certainly some bad parts of town. Check out the Orlando subforum for long lists of the problems with Orange Blossum Trail and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or