U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-26-2012, 02:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 3,819,610 times
Traffic is a nightmare the day before and the day after, but on Christmas day itself, it shouldn't too bad. Maybe after dinner there might be some people traveling home.

I suggest that you pack a cooler with some good food in case you can't find a restaurant. I don't know that route, but all the truck stops in my area sell hot food and they all have a restaurant of some kind. Not gourmet dining, but hot food and a place to sit and eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-26-2012, 02:39 PM

6,884 posts, read 3,819,610 times
If you know anyone with a AAA membership, get a trip tick and they probably have advice abut where gas is available.

Unread 11-26-2012, 07:19 PM

33 posts, read 121,069 times
Wow, thanks for all the great ideas and suggestions! I feel a lot more comfortable about traveling on Christmas now. I think as long as we stick to the interstate highways, we should be OK. Thanks!!

Unread 11-26-2012, 08:13 PM

1,230 posts, read 778,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrie View Post
We will be traveling on Christmas Day and I'm wondering if gas stations will be open on the interstates. We're going from Orlando to Charlotte, along I-4, I-95, I-26 and I-77. We'll probably only need to stop once for gas, but it would be nice to know if gas stations will be open if we need to stop for snacks or bathrooms. Does anyone know what's typically open on Christmas?
Two years ago, I traveled the interstate on Christmas Day. I found that most relevant businesses were open... but your best bet is definitely to stick to the big-box truck stops. Mom & Pop places are usually friendlier, but Mom & Pop usually celebrate Christmas and won't want to be dispensing cigarettes on December 25th. The big-box places will hire people who either don't celebrate Christmas, or are willing to do a shift for double-time pay on Christmas Day.

Unread 11-26-2012, 09:27 PM

1,617 posts, read 1,429,570 times
Gas stations and hotels are pretty guaranteed to be open. I would be more concerned about finding open restaurants however chains such as Denny's and Waffle House will probably be open as well.

Unread 11-27-2012, 12:18 PM

8,184 posts, read 10,341,085 times
We did it every Christmas day for 15 years in the mid-60's and 70's and never had a problem getting gas or food.

These were the days of the good old truck stops and motels. Mom always had back up food packed just in case. That nasty canned meat and squirt cheese that we thought was find dining lol.

You'll be fine and have a great trip.

Unread 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM

1,528 posts, read 677,677 times
The 23rd is bad. The 24th is not bad, not great. The later in the day you leave, the less amoutn of cars will be on the road (i.e. you have a better chance of major traffic if you leave at 12 noon compared to 8 PM), the 25th will be almost invisible, hardly anybody travels that day. Anything after that it varies depending on whether companies give that week off/or people take vacations. Busiest travel days on the interstate are usually Dec 23, Dec 26, & January 2.

All the major chain's will be open (mcDonalds, Denny's, Ihop probably) as are most gas stations (though some will probably be on a shortened schedule). Finding a nice sit down restaurant will be hard to come by though. Looking for a nice restaurant I'd go somewhere ethnic (Moroccan, Japanese, Chinese, etc), those seem like the restaurants that would be open the most on major holidays.

Unread 12-06-2012, 02:41 PM

6,940 posts, read 2,695,093 times
Truck Stops - restaurants and gas/toilets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel