U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,754,934 times

Advertisements

My son lives and works in Singapore and travels extensively all over Asia and Europe. He does alot of couch surfing and has had no problems. But i worry. This is an interesting article.

EarthLink - Technology News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM

7,221 posts, read 12,662,263 times
Very interesting -- I had never heard of this. (I feel old!) I am a nut about privacy, though, so I would rather pay more and have a private hotel room, however boring that may be.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
We've been using / hosting via Guesthome / Hospitality stays for 25+ yrs.

Can't beat it for any price, for the value in making friends and getting suggestions on places to go. (Typically its $10-$20 / night worldwide), This year will find us using nearly 100 days of guesthomes, tho hosting only 5-7 nights. I also spend ~ 100+ nights/ yr in hotels, many are 5 star. I prefer to take my chances with guest homes while on personal travel.

Never had an issue with security or trust.

A fairly new one that is not age restricted is Casacasa.org. (person starting it is a child of hosts / organizers of another very popular host directory for those over age 40.. it has been going for 20+ yrs)

Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
I don't travel with the intention of "making friends" and have never been at a loss for great overlooked places to go/see by either doing some Internet research in advance or asking a hotel employee. Not the concierge, but the bellman, the busboy in the restaurant, or best yet, an employee of a grocery store a few blocks outside the tourist corridor. That's where you'll learn the best places to eat and offbeat things to see.

As another person suggested, I value my privacy and would not share a bathroom let alone sleeping quarters. I also value my rest, which is greatly affected by the comfort of the bed and overall sleeping environ.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 PM

36,484 posts, read 43,754,934 times
I think couchsurfing is more popular with a younger set. I certainly wouldn't do it and wish my son didn't do it. There are too many crazies out there and I've lived long enough to know things that "happen to the other guy" usually happen to me.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:14 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,524,055 times
If "crazies" are a concern, relatives and friends can be more of a danger to a person than a stranger.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think couchsurfing is more popular with a younger set. I certainly wouldn't do it and wish my son didn't do it. There are too many crazies out there and I've lived long enough to know things that "happen to the other guy" usually happen to me.

Personally, I don't like staying with either family members or strangers as I like my privacy probably as much as others. If I opened up my house to many visitors. I am afraid that we would not get great marks for housekeeping BUT we have done it on occasion.

I don't want to start a controversy BUT ... do we really need to assume that EVERYONE out there is a crazy? I have been meeting with people that I have met on-line for the past twenty years. Most of the people have been normal and many have a lot of common interests. I have met several college professors, several celebrities, a few professional poker players, and a wide variety of people with whom I share a lot of interests.

Stealth - thanks for some of your ideas.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM

78 posts, read 107,943 times
We recently traveled to Santa Monica and stayed with someone who was listed on airbnb. It was the best part of the trip! She had many reviews on the site, all positive, and we took some basic precautions. I left all her information with my sister before we went. We hid our valuables around the room, she offered to let us borrow her car and after some discussion between us we decided not to, since we didn't know her insurance coverage, etc. This was such a positive experience though and it allowed us to see a place we never could have afforded otherwise. I can't wait to try it again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel