U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 AM

5,739 posts, read 12,458,813 times

Advertisements

You have no time frame in which to reach your destination, and plenty of money to spend as well

You're traveling from the east coast to the west (or west to east, wherever you're coming from) Would you prefer to travel by car, train, bus, or plane and why?

Having done 2 cross country road trips myself, I prefer it over flying simply for the ability to actually see the country in all its beauty. My cross country trip was Orlando, FL to Las Vegas, NV and then back eventually

What's your preferred travel method if time and money are of no issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM

28,554 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
You have no time frame in which to reach your destination, and plenty of money to spend as well
What's your preferred travel method if time and money are of no issue?
That all depends on who I'm traveling with...
but in the US an automobile allows the most flexibility.

--insert favorite road film youtube link here--

Old 12-03-2012, 08:39 AM

16,829 posts, read 7,493,922 times
If you had the means, I would recommend none of the conventional methods listed by the OP, assuming that by "plane" the OP meant "airline". Airline travel does allow one to see the country, but sometimes through a small porthole window from an aisle seat. No fun.

Instead, I would fly in a small aircraft, particularly an unsophisticated older Cessna or Piper, and do so below 3000 most of the time. That would, of course, limit where and when I would go, since the weather, be it low ceilings, ice, snow, or thunderstorms, would definitely affect the route, as well as terrain. The Rockies and Sierra Nevadas are barriers to many aircraft. There are routes through them, though. Low and slow allows one to see the land from a unique perspective. And as a bonus, one can land at an amazing number of airports and airfields, instead of major metros.

A friend of mine rides his Harley everywhere. Another way to see the US, and I would do so off the Interstates. I don't ride, can't offer any perspective there.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 12-03-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,357,727 times
If money was no object, you could fly between major centers then rent cars and do all the local touring you like without having the long boring drives.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 AM

28,554 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
If money was no object, you could fly between major centers then rent cars and do all the local touring you like without having the long boring drives.
If the drive is boring... you're either on the wrong roads or going too slow.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM

8,281 posts, read 11,139,693 times
We recently did coast-to-coast mostly on I-40, which I probably wouldn't recommend in the winter. Dodging the big rigs will alleviate the boredom. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,560,156 times
Car or motorcyle....no interstate and no toll roads.
No chain restaurants or chain hotels.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,545,412 times
Camper van. The only planning I'd do, throughout the trip, is to make sure we can plug in the heater overnight if it's predicted to be cold. Stop at Auto Club and visitors centers for local information, and use the internet for same when it's available. Avoid hotels, unless weather is truly threatening.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:58 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,525,830 times
I;ve done it on several occasions, usung unlimited-travel Greyhound passes as the principal mechanism. Usually I sleep in a motel only every other night. If I'm on a layover and there;s a 'Y' nearby, I can get a shower and paroably a few laps in the pool as welll. Medium-sized towns with a college or university make good stop-over points, and if I need to stay for several days, a few inquiries might turn up somebody who rents to construction workers, etc. Finally if there's no way to get to where I want to go without a car, there's Rent-a-Wreck, etc.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
I've already driven cross country a dozen times and been in every continental state, most of the Canadian provinces, and enough of Mexico to last a lifetime. So my choice is fly. The most direct route and preferably first class on a plane with Wi-Fi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or