U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:42 PM

6,971 posts, read 2,601,710 times

Advertisements

In Rome you could look into the Trastavere neighborhood. It's walking distance to ancient Rome and tons of sites. Other parts of Rome can be reached by metro (train ad bus) for 1.50 euro. In off season you can find small two bed flats for as low as $500 euro for week (about have of your total budget) on VRBO. Most rent by the week so you may be able to negotiate a small discount if renting for an entire month. In Italy 1st floor is what americans would call 2nd floor. A lot of building do not have elevators so a 3rd floor flat would involve a lot of stairs so beware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,588,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
.. could I do the lodging and food in each town in a two bedroom condo or apartment for $5000 a month at a nice but not fancy spot?
$5000/month in most of Europe? Easily done. We lived on less than €1200/m (less than $1500) in Italy for seven years, and that's included transportation cost when we travelled within the continent (not included lodging and food during travelling to other countries) and we travelled very, very, very often. Granted, there was no mortgage on our home, but rent would not cost the other $3500 of your budget unless you stay in a hotel for the entire month, or unless you rent from VRBO where the owners think in term of American pockets instead of the local rental market.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-05-2012 at 05:29 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,926,229 times
Kind of depends on your interest as much as your budget, right?
If you're a big foodie, I think NY, Paris and New Orleans are top of the list. If you're big on museums, it'd be a different list (somewhat). If you're a fan of completely unfamiliar cultures, I don't think I'd pick any Western cities.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 AM

264 posts, read 249,758 times
Ho Chi Mihn City. Cheap, great food, lots of English speakers and it's a great hub to see other parts of SE Asia.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM

6,936 posts, read 7,261,443 times
My 6 cities might be:

New York
London
Paris
Moscow
One of the larger cities in India
Bejing

I've actually thought of something similar. But for a longer period of time. A year in each foreign city/country. My selections would probably differ from what I've listed for the one month stays suggested above.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM

161 posts, read 352,192 times
"....or unless you rent from VRBO where the owners think in term of American pockets instead of the local rental market."

Where do you suggest looking for month-long rentals?

Old 12-09-2012, 02:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,637,223 times
VRBO offers some reasonable options too, in addition to the expensive ones. We rented a VRBO apartment for the month of May in Paris, and in our experience you could definitely do that on your $5K budget -- assuming you do your own cooking, mostly.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:36 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,294 times
Before suggesting cities, I'd want to know what months I guess. And how wide-ranging would you like to be. Obviously some cities in Asia would be much cheaper, so you could balance your budget that way. Without knowing what time of year you'd be doing this, here are some cities I'd love to spend a month in (with opportunities for side-trips, of course):

- Edinburgh
- Hong Kong
- Rio
- Amsterdam
- Rome or Florence
- New York

Of course, you're sticking to cities, and staying a month. I'd love to spend several weeks in the following places, not all of which are cities:

- Bali
- Thailand
- Montevideo
- Buenos Aires
- Paris
- Lisbon
- Greek Islands
- Istanbul

Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,588,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy WJ View Post
Where do you suggest looking for month-long rentals?
From the real estate agents in the town you wish to live.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
I'ven ever been there yet but many of my friends have, and I would love to spend a month in Cancun. I would probably nevver get tired of the beach alone, plus there is the nightlife, and day trips to ancient Mayan and Aztec ruins, fishing, coral reefs, and snorkeling.

Venice would probably be another cool place for an extended stay though it would be expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or