U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 AM

337 posts, read 649,429 times

Advertisements

Question for the newsgroup. I may be flying Southwest airlines in May (They are the only airline with direct flights from where I am leaving and where I need to go). If I get a ticket on the internet for the "Wanna Get away" option, would I be able to upgrade to "Anytime" or "Business Select" type tickets prior to the flight? (We are looking at the end of May for the conference)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 AM

9,134 posts, read 17,186,410 times
yes, sort of....

SW tickets are changeable, You can cancel your Wanna tik, then buy a anytime or biz select, and you can use the credit to pay for part of it. (You will pay the 'current' fare thats in effect when you change it).

SW is all 1 class seating. Only difference is Anytime & Biz allow refunds, biz give you front of line for boarding, and a free drink.

Last edited by flyonpa; 12-10-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM

16,876 posts, read 7,506,032 times
Senior fares are refundable as well, but generally cost mare than "Wanna Get Away" fares. I just flew my mom from Phoenix for Thanksgiving... the Senior fare allows one to cancel and get a refund without questions, the Wanna Get Away only allows you to change the ticket to another date, perhaps at no cost. Perhaps because there's the chance that the fare will be higher on the new date.

On another post the OP asks about flights to PHX. Since the origin is Kentucky I'm guessing that the OP wants to fly out of Louisville (SDF); there ARE non-stops SDF-PHX. No bag fees, changeable tickets, nonstop... I don't see any other airlines offering those perks. However, Southwest is not always the lowest fare carrier these days, and quick check of KAYAK shows Delta at $300 through Atlanta (an easy airport to make a connection, if you're a savvy traveler) versus $480 on Southwest. Baggage fees notwithstanding, savings of over $100. depends on what you want, convenience or cost, track record of on-time performance or a potential adventure.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:59 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,042,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Question for the newsgroup. I may be flying Southwest airlines in May (They are the only airline with direct flights from where I am leaving and where I need to go). If I get a ticket on the internet for the "Wanna Get away" option, would I be able to upgrade to "Anytime" or "Business Select" type tickets prior to the flight? (We are looking at the end of May for the conference)

The two advantages of the higher fares is that they are completely refundable and you have preferred boarding. To me, it is not worth it.

===============================

I agree with SluggoF16 that Southwest is not always the lowest fare available. However, you have to consider the connecting flights through Cincinnati (flying directly out of Cincinnati is generally one of the hghest fares), all the baggage fees, and the potential change fees should your plans change.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,930 posts, read 54,650,353 times
Southwest still doesn't charge for baggage, but if your flight is non-stop it's about the only one. Seems like every time I look for a flight there are 1-3 transfers and a 2 hour flight takes 14 hours.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:12 AM

776 posts, read 1,642,459 times
Southwest Rocks!!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,473,701 times
They're far and away the most generous and hassle-free airline out there as it relates to credits for airfares/refunds, no baggage fees, and a superb on-time record.

While all the airlines pad their schedules to enhance their on-time performance numbers, Southwest is usually tops among the major airlines, and 2012 marked the sixth consecutive year in which they flew more passengers domestically than anybody else.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 PM

3,852 posts, read 9,457,219 times
Southwest doesn't charge any change fees. If you want to upgrade, you simply pay the difference. However, the later you wait, the higher the cost of the upgraded fares. A lot depends on how many seats are still available - which is the same with any airline. You're not necessarily going to get a better seat - as mentioned above, the higher fares come with more perks, that's all. If you pay the $10 for the early bird check in, you can still get an "A" boarding which gives you a better seat selection.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:37 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,042,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Southwest doesn't charge any change fees. If you want to upgrade, you simply pay the difference. However, the later you wait, the higher the cost of the upgraded fares. A lot depends on how many seats are still available - which is the same with any airline. You're not necessarily going to get a better seat - as mentioned above, the higher fares come with more perks, that's all. If you pay the $10 for the early bird check in, you can still get an "A" boarding which gives you a better seat selection.

I have not seen a need at this point to pay the $10. I can pretty much count on getting an aisle seat as long as I get something before C6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or