Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,689,504 times

Advertisements

I posted this question to the Mexico forum as well, but only got one response. I would love to hear others experience or suggestions.

Does anyone have an opinion about Puerto Morelos? My husband and I are looking into a Riviera Maya vacation and found a very nice resort in Puerto Morelos, but have not heard anything about it. We have both been to Cancun (way too busy for us) and Playa Del Carmen, as well as places along the Pacific side. We really loved Playa del Carmen, but are worried that it has grown quite a bit since we were last there in 2002. It changed so much from the time I was there in 1997, and if it continued growth at that rate it would be too busy for us.

We are looking for a laid back atmosphere, but also not entirely sleepy. We love to relax on the beach, but also want the ability to go into town for a little something to do. We also enjoy water activities and cultural experiences. Would you recommend Puerto Morelos or can you suggest another place that may fit our interests?

We are also looking at resorts around Tulum. It seems that when I was there in 1997 it was really small. I don't recall any resorts, although they may have been there and I didn't notice. Tulum is beautiful and it looks like many of the beaches there are private. That was one thing that bothered me a little about Playa del Carmen. It seemed that in 1997 there were very few vendors along the beach. However, in 2002, the vendors were rapant and annoying. We were on our honeymoon and really didn't wanted to be hounded to buy things. A resort with private beaches that is affordable would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,720,684 times
Hi, I've been to Puerto Morales, about two years ago. It was very very tiny, with one good lobster restaurant and that's about it. I would much rather stay in Playa del Carmen, even though like you said it's overrun w/vendors. Still, there is more to do there and Cozumel is right there (via ferry). Also, you can get to Isla Mujer via ferry, I've yet to try that.

Which resort are you looking at? We stayed at Secrets and they had a free shuttle to P. Morales, but it was not very exciting. The resort was fantastic, but we really aren't all inclusive types, we much rather like to walk around and not be on a huge resort.

I've only visited Tulum for a few hours, but I've heard it's becoming like the old Playa del Carmen. Maybe check that out more than P. Morales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel