Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 06:59 AM

737 posts, read 2,587,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
I was going to include that in my rant, but opted out of it

Another annoyance I have is how much some of these people are flattering themselves, acting as though they're singled out and being sexually targeted, and most aren't exactly the kind of person you'd expect one would want to see "naked."
Oops, I am one of those people. I don't care what they x-ray or see; what I do object to is the touching of the underwire bra test, but whatever. I get on the plane and get the he** away from them, I'm going somewhere and they are not, so no biggie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
You could see this coming out sooner or later when you look at some of the TSA employees. (Many still do a great job at what the were trained to do), but for others this article pretty much sums it up when you hire immature people.
I'd describe your comments as displaying a bit of "attitude" towards the physical appearance of others. Given the volume of people using air transportation and the challenges that the security concerns present, I think the TSA people, on the whole, do an excellent job. I'm not so quick to criticize people though. I remind myself, "Mirror, Mirror ... on the wall ...."

Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
I was going to include that in my rant, but opted out of it

Another annoyance I have is how much some of these people are flattering themselves, acting as though they're singled out and being sexually targeted, and most aren't exactly the kind of person you'd expect one would want to see "naked."
I know what you mean. My friend had a comment like it once the first time she got through the xray machine. I mean she's far from bad..she's good looking, but it was just funny. It was her first time going through it and made a huge deal about it and posted on Facebook about her experience. Pretty much 10 people commented like "I get this every time, what's the big deal?" Have not heard her complain in real life or on Facebook since.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No kidding, and the thing is that the US isn't even bad for security. Most people who complain have never traveled anywhere where the security is actually a hassle. Seriously the US is a ****ing breeze compared to some other places.

Turkey for international flights? You can't even enter the airport without going through a metal detector and putting your stuff through an xray machine (actually this happens in domestic too). It doesn't matter whether you're flying or not. Everyone has to do it. Then you go and do some passport control, then after that you go and check into your flight. Then you go through an xray machine and metal detector again for a second time. Then as you're walking along in the airport, someone random stops you to see your passport and boarding pass not even 300 feet away from where you just got out of. Then you get to your *gate*, but wait, you have to go through a THIRD metal detector/xray machine! Phew, done right? Nope. At the gate you have to go through yet another (possibly third) passport check before you can even sit down.

So yes, people can ***** all they want, but compared to some other places in the world, the stuff you have to go through at the airport is an absolute breeze. I'll take what happens in this country over stuff like above. If you are complaining about a machine which takes an xray of you and a only few people see your "naked body", who look at it to see whether you are carrying on anything bad, and you don't hear their comments about you.. then perhaps you have major insecurity issues to work out first.
On the other hand, Rome is so lax it's laughable.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:26 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
An anonymous blogger writing in a crap tabloid. I avoid flying but not because of the TSA.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:36 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No kidding, and the thing is that the US isn't even bad for security. Most people who complain have never traveled anywhere where the security is actually a hassle. Seriously the US is a ****ing breeze compared to some other places.

Not necessarily. It was easier for me to get out of Antigua by plane than it was out of Miami. It was easier to get in to Germany than back in to the US. So, no, other countries are not always more of a hassle.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
An anonymous blogger writing in a crap tabloid. I avoid flying but not because of the TSA.
Up until recently I was flying 100K miles a year for business. Unfortunately alternate means of transportation weren't an option. I've seen an incredible amount of abuse by the TSA--particularly in one New England airport where I've watched them pull only females with a nice figure aged 16-26 out of line for extra screening. They also put the females through the body scanner while sending the males through the regular metal detector one a 5:1 basis. I've seen this happen over and over, I've watched from a gate right across from the screening area for a total of 12 hours on seven different days over the past year--and kept records. If that's not abuse, what is?

I've had them try to pull all sorts of crap on me--however I've won every single time by demanding a supervisor. So far they haven't put me on a "no fly" list--frankly there is no one on a front line local level that has that type of authority.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
It is fair. I make fun of TSA employees, too.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:49 AM

I think TSA employees should be required to perform their jobs in the nude. Let's see how they like it.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I believe the TSA is losing many fine employees by having to look at some of the more hideous passengers, a little joking at the passengers' expense seems to be reasonable in order to break the stress of having to look for bombs, guns, knives and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel