Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 09:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

I am planning a summer trip that includes Seattle and San Francisco. We are a family of 5: parents, two 16-year-olds and a 9-year-old.

We're trying to pack in as many places and experiences as possible, and a friend mentioned the Coast Starlight train.

I would appreciate any opinions and advice about this train trip. My kids have never ridden by train, so I thought it would be interesting for them. I would like for my husband and me both to be able to relax and ride without worrying about navigating a rental car.

Anyone travelers have experience with the Coast Starlight? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I can appreciate the desire ./ adventure of the train, but in USA... it is SO Cheap and EZ to rent a car, and most sights from SEA to SFO are ONLY accessible via car, so.... I recommend a segment of your trip via train, but NOT SEA > SFO.

Consider the Canadian Rockies, and doing Banff via train, maybe on into Vancouver, BC, then you can train to SEA also. From SEA you can get a priceline rental car CHEAP, you can do inland (Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens in WA, then a loop out in Columbia River Gorge (near Portland, ~ 50- 80 miles east on WA side, then back WEST on OR side). Enjoy Portland LOTS of weird and flowers (international Rose Garden). Then west to Beautiful OR Coast (of which the train does not enjoy) north oregon coast - Google Search, then you can jog in for Crater Lake and OR caves and back to coast for Redwoods, or just stay on the coast and do Crater Lake another trip (kind tough to get to by commercial air, ~ 8 hr RT detour from coast). No CA is very nice coast as well.

SF is GREAT and consider staying at Ft Mason Hostel. Right on the bike / hiking path and a GREAT experience for impressionable kids...(teenagers). Our kids would say "Do we get to stay in another one of those 'Foster-home-of-college-kids'?. FT Mason has FREE parking and LOTS of stuff to do, and is WAY different than your average 5* hotel treatment . I love it because of all the world travelers (many older folks ... RETIRED European and Aussies). Take the FREE library info hikes / tours (there are ~ 5 different ones). SF is great fun and mostly FREE. (been doing it for over 40 yrs). Rainy day? (rare) do the Exploritorium.

For a REAL fun Train adventure... take your family to Europe next Dec, and BE SURE to do all the German and Swiss Christmas markets, Austria, Italy, Spain... can all be nice via OVERnite trains. Do travel Switzerland during the day. Our kids were 10 and 12 when we lived in Europe and they had great adventures meeting people on trains.

USA trains are WAY disruptive to VACATION... Europe, Japan, China, india... they are a way of life, and you learn to deal with it.have a blast

Feel free to PM if you want specific advice about PNW and NoCA w/ older kids.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,275 times
My husband took the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle 9 years ago, and my daughter and her husband (both in their 30s) took the same one from Los Angles to Portland two months ago. This is my daughter's observation:

"The train is NOT a good experience for children, unless by 'experience' you mean that they can zone out watching TV or playing on their iPads.

Trains are good for couples -- you can talk, cuddle, play a few card games -- and it's certainly nice to avoid traffic. Also, the chairs are comfortable and you can work on your laptops because of the power outlets. But without a sleeper car, the second day becomes tough. Hard to get good rest.

Also, the relaxing factor can become claustrophobic because movement is limited and there's no reasonably-priced or different food options.

The teens I saw on the train put their earbuds in and ignored the world around them. There wasn't an opportunity for family conversation, because there was no privacy."

My husband concurred. In addition, they both said there is nothing beautiful about the scenery outside the windows. Despite its name, Coast Starlight does not run along the coast. After SLO, it courses through many rather ugly inland areas.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 01-01-2013 at 11:45 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
THANKS for the replies.

After a lot of research online yesterday, we decided against this particular train trip. I did read a lot about schedule delays, inland/warehouse views and cramped quarters for 5.

My husband also really wants to freedom to pull over and check out the sights along the way if we want.

Stealth, the train trip to Banff is on my short list. I'm saving up already!

I appreciate all the tips from both of you!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:24 AM

8 posts, read 14,657 times
As a widow, traveling alone Amtrak was fabulous. I took the 49 out of TOL 3 hour layover in CHI ( great place to check out Union Station food court & Gift stores - not to mention the amazing architecture ). Then, 5 to FMG and then the Black Hills Stage Line/Arrow Bus to Casper, WY.

Hardly anyone there was a native. I scoped out the Senior center, great people/facility. My son's truck had a flat tire ( wasn't me ) and I was able to catch the public transportation - CATC- and for $2 they took me to the front door ! Truck had a new tire and CATC had a friend !!

Magnificent views from Poplar St. and all around town - Casper is so small it only takes 10 min to get to your destinations. Housing for regular people is in short supply but seniors have it made in the shade ! Property Photos

Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
The best Amtrak route I have found so far is the Empire Builder from Portland to Chicago. Spectacular, scenery, great food (although I've heard grumblings it's gone downhill) and you arrive less than 2 days later at beautiful Union Station in Chicago. Your kids would love it.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 AM

43,612 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Many years my brother took the train from Los Angeles to San Francisco and he really enjoyed the scenic ride.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Many years my brother took the train from Los Angeles to San Francisco and he really enjoyed the scenic ride.
Yes, that is the route.. (Actually SF to SLO to San Diego, with a 2 hr stop over at Union Station in LA to eat at Olvera Street or Philipee's. ) Get a 'dome car', very nice trip (did it last week)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel