Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 01:48 PM

103 posts, read 304,992 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My partner and I, along with her parents and perhaps 2-4 more people are hoping to make a trip to Ireland this summer. I've never traveled with a group before (if you don't count my immediate family when I was younger) so I'm a bit lost as to how to go about this trip. Should we do a planned sightseeing itinerary (perhaps through a tourism company) or should we just do a free for all once we get there? Does anyone have any tips on places that we can stay? I like the thought of a castle but that may be my misguided romantic idea of Ireland

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 08:40 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,133,257 times
What is your typical travel style? And what is the travel style of the people that you are going with?

I have only travelled with a max of three other people before, and I'm usually solo - so take this advice as you will. I am someone who likes to do things spur of the moment with little to no planning whatsoever, I'm also quite frugal.

Where in Ireland are you going? When I went, my destination was Cork, so I flew into Shannon (which was much cheaper than other airports) and took a shuttle.

One thing that I wished I had researched before I went was the proximity of the cities, because I'm used to being able to hop on a train and go visit a random town for a day and then return to wherever I'm staying. You can't really do that in Ireland, because the cities are more spread out. There are day trips that you can take, however. I used Bus Eireann and did their Ring of Kerry trip, and also took the bus to Blarney and hung out there for a day.

I stay in hostels or apartments when I travel because, as I said, frugal. I'm not sure about how much a castle would cost or what the wait list for something like that would be. But there's the site Celtic Castles which may be useful for that.

You may also want to look into renting a car and driving while you're there. With a group that size, it might be your best bet.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Look into renting a house on Homeaway or another site. Ireland was overbuilt with holiday homes and you can rent them for a great price in lots of places. It's an easy country to plan for because of the language. I'd advise not trying to have everybody do the same thing every day - it'll get complicated. Plan a few of the days, but then leave a few days open to explore as you wish.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Get a guidebook; you can check them out at your library and order the one that suits you.There is no country on earth more tourist-friendly. There are many castles, or more properly keeps, which have been incorporated into modern hotels. Ballymaloe House of cooking school fame, near Cork has one. Ashford "Castle" is a nineteenth-century mansion owned by the Guinness family at least at one time which is a full-service hotel. The B&B's of Ireland are wonderful but wouldn't suit a large group. If you do go the B&B group get the literature from the Irish Tourist Office which rates them. They're price controlled so you might as well go to a good one. If we knew what area you're interested in we could give more/better info. ryDo a little bit of prep; it will pay off. Have a wonderful trip. Two more thoughts; you will definitely want a car and you will find the gas prices amazing. If you're spending time in Dublin, don't pick up the car until you're ready to hit the countryside. If you're curious about Northern Ireland by all means go. They've never killed a tourist yet and the road from Belfast to Derry is a great drive. There's also a Dublin-Belfast bus with takes 4-5 hours. Have fun!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM

103 posts, read 304,992 times
Thank you all for your insightful replies. I've bookmarked this thread so I can come back to it when I book our trip. I really appreciate the help!

Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Depends on what your interests are... I like scenery and history so tend to stay out of the cities.

Moravian Church in Northern Ireland

Cong Tourism and Vacations: 6 Things to Do in Cong, Ireland | TripAdvisor

Banbridge Ireland - a rustic town in County Down

The Giants Causeway Website

Marian Shrine | Knock Shrine | Ireland’s National Marian Shrine | Shrine Mayo

one of the places we stayed.... homely cottage with views to die for.
Holiday Barn in County Tyrone - barn with 2 Bedrooms , Sleeps 6 | 491412

Not to be missed for stunning views..
Visit Achill - Visitor Guide to Achill, Co Mayo, Ireland

Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
Ireland travel guide - Wikitravel
rick steves has good travel books-go to the library and get rick steves ireland for free.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:37 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You are going to have to travel at the pace of the slowest group member.

I suggest that the group has a conference to discuss what everyone wants to see and do and then arrange a schedule so that everyone gets a few of their items on their list.

I haven't been to Ireland but in Scotland and England my family always rented a "self-catering". That is a vacation cottage with a complete kitchen where you do your own cooking. I suspect they might be called the same in Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel