Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,439,512 times

Advertisements

The winters vary in Yellowstone, so one year you might go in May and still see a fair amount of snow and another year not. Fall is my favorite season so I would prefer to go in Sept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 12:41 PM

44,593 posts, read 61,419,964 times
We went to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore 3 years ago starting the week after school began in the fall. No crowds, beautiful weather, lots of animals, getting a motel room was e-z. Fun time.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,439,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
We went to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore 3 years ago starting the week after school began in the fall. No crowds, beautiful weather, lots of animals, getting a motel room was e-z. Fun time.
^^^ That is the best time to travel. You can get motel/hotel reservations easier and often cheaper, it is less crowded, and yet the weather is still nice.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,389,906 times
So long as you're ok with winding mountain roads, take the Beartooth Highway into Yellowstone. Most beautiful drive ever!
Beartooth Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,147,685 times
x2 on that and the Lamar valley offers your best chance at seeing a wolf.
spring, June, the pass opens, and the animals have their young and the park is green and new life is everywhere.

Fall early to mid SEPT, great fall colors and a hint of snow in the high countery.

Avoid mid summer crowds and the tour buses.

and stop at the brewery in RL

[quote

=eastmemphisguy;27865480]So long as you're ok with winding mountain roads, take the Beartooth Highway into Yellowstone. Most beautiful drive ever!
Beartooth Highway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/quote]

Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM

3,843 posts, read 4,509,711 times
Default Oh wow!!

Haven't visited this thread for a while and there's so much great advice y'all gave! Yay!

Seems the consensus is leaning more toward fall, although tempting reasons for May and June as well.

Thanks Indy for the detailed itinerary, I'll be sure to reference that when planning and plotting!

The Beartooth Highway looks awesome!
I'm already thinking of what soundtracks to listen to during the drive... I'm thinking Braveheart and Land Before Time! Very majestic music!

Thanks so much!

Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,854,088 times
Check out the live cam. just outside of the Old Faithful Inn - it is well-monitored, and shows both the upper and lower geyser basins, with regular coverage of Old Faithful (plus the other geysers) erupting, and special coverage of anything interesting or unusual: wildlife, interesting vehicles (the cupcake bicycle stopped there last summer), and more.

Here's the link: Yellowstone Geyser Live!

Old 02-02-2013, 02:51 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
The Beartooth Highway looks awesome! I'm already thinking of what soundtracks to listen to during the drive... I'm thinking Braveheart and Land Before Time! Very majestic music!
Your music taste is similar to mine, but when I think of music and this area, I think of something different than you. This is the land of American Indian reservations, and many area names originate from the original tribes that were in the area. So my first choice is American Indian music. This is followed by certain new age music, followed by what some call space music. We missed the Beartooth on our trip, but when I finally get back out there, I hope to drive it as well.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM

7,366 posts, read 12,617,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I'm already thinking of what soundtracks to listen to during the drive... I'm thinking Braveheart and Land Before Time! Very majestic music!

Thanks so much!
A kindred spirit! We bring along stacks of CDs with soundtracks on roadtrips, and I'm actually right now working on an iPod playlist with music for Northwest roadtrips, and another for Southwest trips. Here are some suggestions for you for traveling in Montana and Wyoming:
  • The Lonesome Dove CD! Gorgeous music, and location-specific, too!
  • The Big Country--really big music for big vistas.
  • Dances With Wolves. Same as above.
  • Last of the Mohicans--even if the movie takes place back East, the themes go very well with the mountains and forests.
But an easy shortcut would be some great soundtrack compilation CDs; here are our favorites:
  • The Wild West with the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra; 2 CDs with half of all the Western themes you remember (great performances, but whenever there are lyrics you can tell they're not an English-speaking people. Kind of cute!)
  • The Way West, also with the Prague orchestra. 2 CDs with the other half of all the Western themes you remember!
And then the two ultimate Hollywood collections:
  • Epics: The History of the World According to Hollywood. 4 discs with world history epics from The Ten Commmandments and Ben Hur to Exodus.
  • Director's Cuts: The World's Greatest Movie Music. 3 discs including Gladiator, Robin Hood, Lord of the Rings, Braveheart, etc.
You can run them all and just skip the tracks that aren't "majestic" enough for the landscape, or make your own playlist if you have an MP3 player.

But I'd also second bringing the whole Braveheart CD, as well as American Indian music.

We have even carried the soundtrack hobby so far that we have gone to film locations and played the soundtrack from the actual scenes. (Monument Valley being a favorite for that experience!) It creates a very special connection in one's mind between the landscape, film history, and the good memories of favorite movies. Hmmmm...maybe that's worth a thread of its own!

Have fun!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:20 PM

293 posts, read 562,468 times
In terms of seeing animals/scenery and less crowds, spring & fall are definitely the best times. A lot of this will depend on the previous winter; after an especially rough winter then many animals are likely to be found at lower elevations for longer and flowers will be blooming into June. On that point, you always have to be mindful of the weather when going at those times. I've been trapped in Yellowstone snowstorms as late as Memorial Day weekend and as early as Labor Day weekend, so be sure to check the forecasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel