Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times

Advertisements

When I was younger, and prone to sleeping 12 hours at a time, I had no problem sleeping in transit. I fell asleep on a bus ride just after leaving New Orleans, and woke up just as we were driving onto the exit ramp in Lawrence, Kansas. That was an overnight trip. I recall sleeping on the majority of an overnight flight from Honolulu to Chicago as well.

That's not the case anymore. Five years ago I traveled to Alaska. I was awake for the entire flight from Minneapolis to Anchorage, and only slept two hours on the return flight (overnight).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:24 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I know these are pricey. Do they knock out the screaming babies, that I always seem to be on flights with?
Mine do. I, like you cannot STAND this. I always get into arguments with people as too why they need their 2 month old baby on a flight to Europe????

Bose | QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones | Noise Cancelling Headphones

Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Mine do. I, like you cannot STAND this. I always get into arguments with people as too why they need their 2 month old baby on a flight to Europe????

Bose | QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® headphones | Noise Cancelling Headphones
Thanks, Phil. I'll check them out.

I'm with you on the babies.......they need to have baby-free flights. I think many adults would pay more for this. It has never failed that I end up near a screaming baby on flights, regardless of destination or carrier.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:56 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
I MUST sleep in transit, or I wouldn't get any rest. I like to travel at night and be all RECHARGED when I arrive so I don't have to burn any daylight. Often on trains (when using rail passes), I travel PAST my intended destinations during the night (so I can get more sleep), them work myself back across the intended stops during daylight.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

I have friends who were transferred to Europe for work about three months after their baby was born. How did you expect them to get there, swim?

As long as a parent is trying to soothe their child I can empathize. The ones that really tee me off are the 3-10 year olds who raise hell while their oblivious parents get drunk on Bloody Mary's.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
I've gotten to the point that when I am on a plane, I fall asleep when they close the cabin door and wake up when the wheels touch down.

In a car, I can easily sleep if I'm not driving. If I am a passenger, I am flat out bored and can't seem to stay awake.

Even on a train, I can nod off with ease. I just keep waking feeling paranoid about missing my stop!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I know these are pricey. Do they knock out the screaming babies, that I always seem to be on flights with?
I know they can block the sound of someone behind me coughing. At least that's what my wife told me when I came down with the flu early on during our 14 day cruise to Hawaii. She was behind me on the leg between DFW and LAX. I never heard one cough.

If you are that dingbat and read this, thanks for ruining our very expensive vacation! Turned into the cruise from hell, when we became "isolated" in our cabin for two of the four days in HI.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
I know they can block the sound of someone behind me coughing. At least that's what my wife told me when I came down with the flu early on during our 14 day cruise to Hawaii. She was behind me on the leg between DFW and LAX. I never heard one cough.

If you are that dingbat and read this, thanks for ruining our very expensive vacation! Turned into the cruise from hell, when we became "isolated" in our cabin for two of the four days in HI.
Three's no guarantee it came from anyone sitting near you. You could have touched a handrail and then itched your nose.

By the way, not everyone who coughs is ill. I have a chronic respiratory condition that causes me to cough on a regular basis. I am not sick and it's not contagious.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:55 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

Do YOU sleep while in transit? How do you do it? Do you use any sleeping pills?
I've always flown during daylight and have usually had no trouble napping for the duration...

Next week will be the test though... I'm taking a red eye overnight flight from Seattle to Savannah via Charlotte.

We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel