Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 03:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,407,282 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had experience selling airline miles? Can anyone recommend a company? I've seen a few websites that advertise buying and selling miles but I've never done it before. I have many dividend miles that I don't need and they expire in the next few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,991,275 times
Selling airline miles is risky at best. If you read the fine print you will find the airlines do not allow you to sell your miles. This is where these companies that advertise buying and selling miles comes in to play. You let the company know how many miles you have available and they match you up with someone needing a ticket. You redeem the miles and purchase a ticket in that persons name. The company, for a fee, handles the transfer of the ticket to the buyer and the money to the you. This is very risky. When you redeem the miles for the ticket you have to lie and say you are giving the ticket to a relative or friend. The airlines know what is going on and when the traveler checks in they will ask the traveler several questions. If there are any inconsistancies in their answers they will not honor the ticket. Nor will they refund the miles you redeemed. They might even go so far to boot you from their rewards program and you will lose any miles you have left.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,407,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Selling airline miles is risky at best. If you read the fine print you will find the airlines do not allow you to sell your miles. This is where these companies that advertise buying and selling miles comes in to play. You let the company know how many miles you have available and they match you up with someone needing a ticket. You redeem the miles and purchase a ticket in that persons name. The company, for a fee, handles the transfer of the ticket to the buyer and the money to the you. This is very risky. When you redeem the miles for the ticket you have to lie and say you are giving the ticket to a relative or friend. The airlines know what is going on and when the traveler checks in they will ask the traveler several questions. If there are any inconsistancies in their answers they will not honor the ticket. Nor will they refund the miles you redeemed. They might even go so far to boot you from their rewards program and you will lose any miles you have left.
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that. Is there options where I can redeem them? I really don't need them but don't want them to be wasted.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:35 AM

6,419 posts, read 11,578,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that. Is there options where I can redeem them? I really don't need them but don't want them to be wasted.
Many "miles" programs have a way that you can donate them. That's what I do with my odd "miles" that are about to expire.

Alternately, some "miles" programs will let you redeem them for gift cards.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,450,856 times
You can donate them to organizations like Wounded Warriors and Make a Wish Foundation. It is possible you could use it as a tax deduction.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:24 AM

683 posts, read 1,148,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Selling airline miles is risky at best.

I would say that buying airline miles is where the risk is.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:51 AM

737 posts, read 2,584,433 times
A friend of mine used points.com to trade his miles. He'd moved and his new hub meant using a new primary airline, so he basically traded his miles (from his old hub/old airline) for miles he'd use in his new primary city of departure. He seemed really happy with the transaction but I don't know much more about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel