Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Seems like there might be a sweet spot for airports. Ones which aren't super big and are either very well maintained or newish.

San Diego, Ontario CA, Raleigh-Durham, San Jose, tampa, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Austin, Richmond etc.
Of those I like San Diego, RDU, and Austin. Haven't been in Richmond in over 20 years so will defer judgement.

MSP is OK, I wouldn't call it a small airport. PHX is poorly managed and just a fiasco every time I fly through there. I think TPA is showing it's age and what a PITA to get in and out of.

I would definitely add PVD to the list of great airports.

1. Good food on the sterile concourse
2. Plenty of seating.
3. Adequate HVAC
4. Clean bathrooms.
5. Love that you can get to and from the parking deck/rental cars in the enclosed sky bridge to stay out of the elements.
6. Luggage hits the carousel fast.

If they'd put a US Airways Club in there I wouldn't use any other New England airport, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Worst--IAD. Huge, long walks even to make simple connections within the C/D terminal...no moving walkways so you end up getting exhausted. Heaven forbid you have to take the NEW skytrain to make an international connection...it's a tiring walk just to get to the freaking station.

Best--none of the US ones stand out honestly...but I would give ALB high marks for cleanliness and convenience (yeah, I know it's small). Internationally, I have yet to come across cleaner, more private restroom stalls than in BRU!

Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Worst--IAD. Huge, long walks even to make simple connections within the C/D terminal...no moving walkways so you end up getting exhausted. Heaven forbid you have to take the NEW skytrain to make an international connection...it's a tiring walk just to get to the freaking station.

Best--none of the US ones stand out honestly...but I would give ALB high marks for cleanliness and convenience (yeah, I know it's small). Internationally, I have yet to come across cleaner, more private restroom stalls than in BRU!
Best thing about ALB is the announcements telling people to come back to security to claim the oddest items. The last time I was there they were calling for someone to claim "One yellow sock."

Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,666,905 times
Never any lines at RIC/Richmond. The Pilot actually waves goodbye when he takes off with my son when his trip here ends. In fact, they sometimes leave 20 minutes early.

I live right between DCA and RIC. I try to use RIC when possible but since I work in DC it isn't always possible.

First hour of parking at RIC is free as well although I did lose my ticket once and tried to use other methods to prove that I was only parked there for an hour. They stuck it to me for a day and wouldn't listen. I'd bet that I could have convinced someone at DCA. Still not a good enough reason to avoid the airport, but don't lose your parking ticket at RIC!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:19 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,581,393 times
I think SeaTac and DFW are pretty nice. Easy to navigate and very clean.

LAX was by far the worst. It was like going through a maze trying to get to where we had to board. And most of what I was in looked like I was transported to the early 80s. Very out of date.

CVG, my home airport, is pretty nice as well. They recently updated it. It's a shame how its lost so many flights, though. Used to be the busiest in the country behind ATL.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:50 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Luxury View Post
I think SeaTac and DFW are pretty nice. Easy to navigate and very clean.

LAX was by far the worst. It was like going through a maze trying to get to where we had to board. And most of what I was in looked like I was transported to the early 80s. Very out of date.

CVG, my home airport, is pretty nice as well. They recently updated it. It's a shame how its lost so many flights, though. Used to be the busiest in the country behind ATL.
Agree...I went through there recently, and it's a shadow of its former self. Although I must admit I was never fond of the messy overcrowded Concourse C!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,409,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
TIA--In Albania?
Tampa International, as I mentioned.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Tampa International, as I mentioned.
TPA is Tampa. TIA is in Albania.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,627,786 times
I had a layover at Reagan in DC (from Pittsburgh to Denver.) Worst experience. Aside the fact that it is darka nd outdated, I had to go through security again. I had bought a bottle of shampoo at the airport in Pittsburgh, not knowing I had to go through security again. The TSA were complete jerks about the situation. The layout is terrible. I have no idea how people love that airport. I avoid it like a plague.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Best : all American airports I had layovers in (DFW, Miami,Atlanta , Philadelphia)
Worst : Beauvais private Ryan air (infamous "airline" by the way) "airport" N of Paris. It's in fact a redesigned
army plane shelter. Due to lack of room inside, people wait for planes outside on sitting on the ground on the lawn . And it is completely isolated in the middle of potato fields. No trains, no shuttles, no taxis. Only way of access : the Ryanair - operated buses! (or your own car eventually).
Oh but am I stupid I just read that US infrastructures were 24th in the world, France's 5th! so I guess it's me because of my chip on the shoulder who doesn't want to do justice to that "magnificent" French infrastructure! so much better than American international hubs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel