Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,862,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Yea, your right, I did not ever consider that it is actually virtually impossible to get passengers off a cruise ship or to tow them to a foreign port. People should consider that they are truly taking a real risk with their lives before going on Cruises.
After all if you cannot even facilitate a rescue of a Ship 150 miles from a major tourist destination what chance do passengers have if they are 1000 miles off shore, or in a desolate area. You are absolutely right; cruising by ship is just too dangerous for people to take so casually.
you should have stuck with your flawed logic strategy, obviously sarcasm is far too difficult for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM

26,585 posts, read 61,821,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It's not a hotel..It's a ship at sea...the sea is a dangerous and isolating environment. The cruise ship had a fire that crippled her. It's not like they could just put the guests on a bus and shuttle them to another hotel. If people are too dumb and can not adapt to uncomfortable conditions..then that's too bad. People were crapping in plastic bags and putting them in the hall ways...were others would trample on them spreading crap all over the place...Maybe the passenger should have organized and got the waste problem under control. What is so bad about sleeping on deck under the stars and washing your butt in a bucket? Such sucks.
That's not what they paid for, and Carnival has not properly reimbursed people for losses and are fighting them tooth and nail. They are refusing to cover the costs of rental cars so people could get home, they are refusing to cover additional days of parking, lost wages, and more. They had a known problem, took the ship out anyhow, and think it's fine that they kept people from home and work obligations for a week, and offered an insultingly paltry sum as an apology.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That's not what they paid for, and Carnival has not properly reimbursed people for losses and are fighting them tooth and nail. They are refusing to cover the costs of rental cars so people could get home, they are refusing to cover additional days of parking, lost wages, and more. They had a known problem, took the ship out anyhow, and think it's fine that they kept people from home and work obligations for a week, and offered an insultingly paltry sum as an apology.

What known problem would that be? Just sayin' it, don't make it so. You think they wanted to lose the revenue from this and the next half-dozen or so cancelled cruises because they wanted to save the cost of a $50 repair of an oil line? That is brilliant thinking.

What Carnival was legally obligated to provide as agreed to in advance by both parties entering into a mutually agreed upon contract...
  • nothing
  • zilch
  • zip
  • nada
what Carnnival provided as reimbursement...
  • cruise reund
  • refund of most of the on board expenses incurred, no that $500 charge for a $75 blouse that looked so good when you were smashed on Mai Tais won't likely be reimbursed.
  • future cruise credit equal to the cost of this cruise
  • free air fare home
  • $500
this is far more than they will receive from any litigation they attempt, and that is a fact.

Personally, I've never considered booking on Carnival or NCL and after cruising on both Celebrity and Princess in the past, I can state with almost 100% certainty that I would never cruise again. But because of the pushy, rude, trailer-park royalty that all these cruise lines seem to attract and not because I think I'm owed something beyond what is spelled out as far as the cruise lines' obligation. The people that are beeotching the most on here appear to fall into two classifications...
  • the pretentious snobbery that like to inflate their own self-importance and high-falutin standards by pointing out the obvious low market characteristics of the budget line ships, duh...that's why you can buy a ticket for $400 on them.
  • those that have never cruised and are ignorant as to what the cruise contract covers and think they are owed something just because.
Basically once they pull away from the dock, you are on your own...
Rudder breaks and you float in the middle of the Gulf for a few days: sucks to be you.
Hurricane forces you to miss 3 of your 4 ports: bummer, have another drink, why'd you book in the summertime anyways?
Dock workers go on strike in Puerto Rico: tough hop, go stuff your face at the buffet.
You get Noro Virus because gramps reached his poop stained hands into the potato salad: take a plane next time.

Last edited by Ghengis; 03-05-2013 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 11:36 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,604,483 times
^^^^^^^^^^

That about sums it up in a nutshell

Old 03-05-2013, 11:52 AM

The ship had mechanical problems on five of the last dozen or so sailings, and frankly it wasn't an act of God, it was a mechanical failure. Therefore Carnival is responsible.

You are right, they legally don't need to do anything, however take a look at the several threads on Cruise Critic from people saying they are long time Carnival cruisers who have left the line for Royal or NCL or someone else. Eventually Carnival's lack of goodwill and concern for their passengers will catch up with them.

Carnival told people they would cover their transportation costs, and now are reneging on that offer, because people refused to get on a bus provided by them to ride another eight hours to Galveston when they lived three hours in the opposite direction. That is pathetic.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The ship had mechanical problems on five of the last dozen or so sailings, and frankly it wasn't an act of God, it was a mechanical failure. Therefore Carnival is responsible.

You are right, they legally don't need to do anything, however take a look at the several threads on Cruise Critic from people saying they are long time Carnival cruisers who have left the line for Royal or NCL or someone else. Eventually Carnival's lack of goodwill and concern for their passengers will catch up with them.

Carnival told people they would cover their transportation costs, and now are reneging on that offer, because people refused to get on a bus provided by them to ride another eight hours to Galveston when they lived three hours in the opposite direction. That is pathetic.
victory is mine!

Old 03-05-2013, 12:51 PM

14,311 posts, read 14,107,021 times
If Carnival doesn't legally need to anything, than the law needs to be changed.

What on earth does this country owe an industry that as I have previously pointed out pays little in the way of taxes here, employs few Americans, and registers its ships in foreign countries to avoid American law? Congress can pass a law that will require the cruise industry to do just about anything it wants in exchange for the right to sail in and out of American ports. If the cruise industry feels its being picked on, it can choose not to sail to American ports. I have a $1000 bet which way that one will go. No one has a "right" to do business in this country. They have whatever right we choose to give them period.

Carnival is offering these people paltry compensation. Its hard to say, not having been on that ship. However, my inclination would have been to pursue them to the ends of the earth to do "the right thing". Not that "thing" that the law might allow them to get away with.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 AM

It takes money to defend a lawsuit. Anyone who can prove out of pocket expenses and only wants to be compensated for actual losses above what Carnival is paying out only needs to write a strongly worded letter pointing out that it will cost them far more to defend (even if they prevail) then it will to pay out the verifiable loss. Additionally it would be positive PR, something that cruise line desperately needs right now.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:21 AM

13,366 posts, read 28,604,483 times
Don't think lawsuit of the class action type will happen .. Cruise lines fall under maritime law and if they were in international waters the law of where they are registered prevails

As far as lost wages....what do people do that travel by air...snowstorm hits or hurricane comes ashore flights are cancelled, it usually takes a few days to get everything up to speed, I highly doubt the airlines reimburse for lost wages.....or additional airport parking fees.
I wonder for those smart enough to have taken full coverage trip insurance if that pays anything.

Refund of cruise $$ a voucher for future cruise plus $500 and transportation home I think is adequate

Last edited by njkate; 03-06-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Don't think lawsuit of the class action type will happen .. Cruise lines fall under maritime law and if they were in international waters the law of where they are registered prevails

As far as lost wages....what do people do that travel by air...snowstorm hits or hurricane comes ashore flights are cancelled, it usually takes a few days to get everything up to speed, I highly doubt the airlines reimburse for lost wages.....or additional airport parking fees.
I wonder for those smart enough to have taken full coverage trip insurance if that pays anything.

Refund of cruise $$ a voucher for future cruise plus $500 and transportation home I think is adequate
Snowstorms, volcanoes, etc. are acts of God, not mechanical malfunctions.

I've never been more than a few hours delayed to a mechanical problem on an airplane--they re-book/re-route you. I think the most delayed I've ever been was about 12 hours, and they put me up in a nice hotel (Marriott/Hyatt types) both times, gave me meal tickets, and got me out on the first flight the next morning.

I don't think what Carnival offered is adequate if it doesn't cover a persons out-of-pocket expenses caused by the delay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel