Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 02:54 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Many cruise lines give cruise credit, not full out refunds, not just Carnival. They don't have to give the passengers anything, to be honest, but they do it as a gesture of "good will" and hoping the people will give them another chance. If the people don't use it, they don't.

Also, one does not have to be "rich" to go on a cruise. You can go on a cruise for less than $500. Further, many of those who do cruise are repeat customers. While Carnival does have some of the cheaper (expense wise) cruises many can take, a lot of those customers have been on other cruises and know it isn't always this way. And yes, there are some who cruise frequently that complain about everything trying to get money out of the cruise line.

Of course these people had a bad experience and missed work...which is why one should always schedule extra days AFTER the cruise or any vacation for that matter because you never know when something will happen...on any type of vacation. (Besides the fact that if you do a cruise right, it's fricken exhausting and you need some days after to rest up and recover.)

Was it miserable? Yes. But criminal charges is downright ridiculous.
ADRIFT AT SEA « The Burning Platform

The question is at what point is a common carrier criminally negligent.
In this case it was very lucky that no one was seriously hurt or became ill due to conditions, or that the ship did not run aground and partially sink like the other ship Carnival owned .
There is some evidence that Carnival was negligent in the maintenance of this ship; according to the article Carnival was aware of problems with the ships electrical system prior to the ship leaving but chose to defer repairs. So if a common carrier chooses to defer repairs to a vessel or plane when they know there are problems which could cause fire or worse is that criminal negligence?
If a common carrier has a poor history of incidence due to lack of maintenance does that increase the case for negligence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:42 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post

In this case it was very lucky that no one was seriously hurt or became ill due to conditions, or that the ship did not run aground and partially sink like the other ship Carnival owned .
There is some evidence that Carnival was negligent in the maintenance of this ship; according to the article Carnival was aware of problems with the ships electrical system prior to the ship leaving but chose to defer repairs. So if a common carrier chooses to defer repairs to a vessel or plane when they know there are problems which could cause fire or worse is that criminal negligence?
If a common carrier has a poor history of incidence due to lack of maintenance does that increase the case for negligence?
One article. That's it?

Do you have any idea how many ships have engines constantly being worked on?

"Chose to defer repairs..." What proof do you have of this...besides some unknown blog?

Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:

Quote:
One article. That's it?

"Chose to defer repairs..." What proof do you have of this...besides some unknown blog?
who needs proof when ya got an "article" and a keyboard?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
One article. That's it?

Do you understand the word "if"? Perhaps you need it explained to you.
The article does accuse Carnival of knowing about the problems on the ship prior to its leaving. I suspect ongoing investigations will find out if there is any truth to that accusation. Their past record would certainly leave plenty of reason to believe it could be true.
My question was if it is true, does that constitute criminal negligence. Should not a common carrier be held to a higher standard considering the number of lives depending on their due diligence?
You seem to have some kind of vested interest in defending Carnival.

\

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times
Quote:
Do you understand the word "if"? Perhaps you need it explained to you.
The article does accuse Carnival of knowing about the problems on the ship prior to its leaving. I suspect ongoing investigations will find out if there is any truth to that accusation. Their past record would certainly leave plenty of reason to believe it could be true.
My question was if it is true, does that constitute criminal negligence. Should not a common carrier be held to a higher standard considering the number of lives depending on their due diligence?
You seem to have some kind of vested interest in defending Carnival.

\
I already stated that I have worked for cruise lines in the past, (no, not Carnival), and I have seen the ignorance from the general public.

My vested interest is in squashing untruths and hysterics that people get in to whenever anything happens on a cruise line. You have no idea what they do and the hard work they put in to it. None whatsoever.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
I already stated that I have worked for cruise lines in the past, (no, not Carnival), and I have seen the ignorance from the general public.

My vested interest is in squashing untruths and hysterics that people get in to whenever anything happens on a cruise line. You have no idea what they do and the hard work they put in to it. None whatsoever.
Cruise lines are an interesting business indeed. Virtually no cruise ship has American registry or flies an American flag because if they did, God Forbid, they'd have to comply with American labor laws respecting wages and safety standards. Last time I checked, most cruise ships are registered in the Bahamas.

Exactly what economic advantage this country is getting out of giving breaks to the cruise industry is beyond me. Most people who work on cruise ships are foreigners. How many jobs does the cruise industry create in America? What other advantages does our country get from giving this industry any breaks at all? Cruises cost less. That's about it. I'm about to go on my third cruise in my life this summer. Honestly, though, if the fare for sailing on a cruise ship went up because we required all ships sailing to American ports to adhere to American labor laws and safety standards, I wouldn't mind at all. If I thought a cruise had become too expensive, I'd simply take another type of vacation.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/04...not-to-cruise/

I have little sympathy for Carnival or any other cruise line. And, $500, a cruise refund, and a free cruise (that I wouldn't want to take) is paltry compensation for the awful experience they put these people through.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:54 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
I don't think I'd be satisfied with 500 bucks, a refund, and a free cruise. Especially when I had to miss an extra week of work to sit in what was basically a sewer. I'm sure it was absolutely miserable. I've been on cruises before (not Carnival) and had a great time, but I'll definitely think twice before I take another one, and it definitely won't be on Carnival if I do. I don't see how Carnival can ever recover their reputation after this.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:

You have a hard time following a simple line of conversation. We are not talking about hard work or what goes into preparing for a cruise. We are talking about people on management level making bad decisions about the safety of passengers.
Cruise lines are corporations, and corporations often put profits ahead of public safety.
Carnival has an abysmal record in the past few years and whatever scrutiny they are getting is justly deserved.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Even by media ambulance chasing standards, there has been little in the way of end-of-the-world sorrow in the reports coming from the pax. Fact is, a couple of the posters on this thread have complained more than I've heard coming from everyone on board the actual ship, probably their nature no doubt. There's always going to be some sue happy lawyer that will find clients in any situation. Last I heard there were 2 passengers out of more than 3,100 that were suing...big deal.

Carnival Triumph 'hell cruise' not so hellish after all: passenger - Washington Times

I wouldn't expect too much of an impact on the profitability of Carnival either, as this will be a brief blip on their stock price, same as it was with the Costa Concordia disaster.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:56 PM

It looks as if the corporate public relations group for Carnival is out in full force trying to do as much damage control as possible.
I bet they wish like hell they could shut us up, but that just isn't happening. They are going to get their money’s worth of bad publicity on this one.
Maybe next time they will do their jobs and look after their passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel