Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 10:36 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually I think you are the one in teh alternate reality where everyone expects the rest of the world to take care of them--be it by giving them extra room or free healthcare. I see a common thread with your posts.

I believe in personal responsibility. It's too bad that so many others expect to be provided for.
Take a look around you, most people don't agree w/you on here. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post

Old 09-08-2014, 11:39 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Completely on board with this statement.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:27 PM

128 posts, read 207,618 times
As for me, and my Husband and sister, we travel about 4 times a year...my husband has 4 weeks vacation so he just puts in his dates...we save our coins. Sounds stupid, but we start saving in January, and by July this year we had 900.00 to spend on food and attractions...all we needed to do was pay for the hotel. For me, saving coins is the best way for me to get out there and travel.

Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,512,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Americans get almost no vacation time. They work to pay for their health insurance. And our currency isn't worth what it used to be. A European vacation costs my wife and I twice as much as a "normal" vacation. We have to pay the Value Added Taxes, but we don't receive any benefit. Things in Europe are shockingly expensive for Americans. I cannot believe how much you pay for a liter of gasoline or a train ticket. If we had to pay so much, there would be a revolution.
To be fair about it, Europeans are paying for the VAT and expensive fuel throughout their daily; Americans only pay those amounts when they're in Europe themselves, so we arguably have the advantage there. But in general the lack of vacation time and the anxiety, at least for corporate workers, about what might go wrong in their absence is a major issue for Americans. Even if you're fairly high up in the organization, what happens if you go on vacation for a month, and it so happens that you overestimated the ability of whoever you left in charge? Not good.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:02 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
People of other countries give a much higher priority on travel then Americans. Americans spend too much on Cars, Eating-out, Health Care and high College Tuition. Thats why they are not able to secure funds required for travel abroad. Many Americans are unsure about using Public Transportation while thats the way to travel in Foreign Countries and big cities. Nowadays, tourist places like New York, London, Paris are full of Asian tourists.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
People of other countries give a much higher priority on travel then Americans. Americans spend too much on Cars, Eating-out, Health Care and high College Tuition. Thats why they are not able to secure funds required for travel abroad. Many Americans are unsure about using Public Transportation while thats the way to travel in Foreign Countries and big cities. Nowadays, tourist places like New York, London, Paris are full of Asian tourists.
Speak for yourself.

I'm sure people in NYC, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, DC, and any number of other large cities who rely on mass transit who would laugh in your face at such a ridiculous comment.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:39 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,442,227 times
I actually have a good amount of vacation time, and I often travel during the off-season when you can find really good airfares and hotel costs. Also, I save a certain amount every paycheck for my next trip and I don't spend a ton on clothes, new gadgets, cars, etc.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david0966 View Post
I actually have a good amount of vacation time, and I often travel during the off-season when you can find really good airfares and hotel costs. Also, I save a certain amount every paycheck for my next trip and I don't spend a ton on clothes, new gadgets, cars, etc.

We also like to travel off-season or shoulder season. We've found great savings that way in everything from airfare to hotels to admissions.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:28 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I traveled a lot for work and hated it. I swore when I retired I would never get on a plane again. All of my trips now are road trips (when you are retired, no hurry to get back). I'm also not a fan of cities. Any city. Anywhere. If you want to travel, and can't afford it, find a job where you have to travel and if you can, stay a few extra days on your own dime. At least you won't have to worry about the cost of airfare because your company will pick up the cost of a round-trip ticket no matter when you come and go.

Also, in the months where it is lighter longer, even when you have to work during the day, you can still see things for a few hours after work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel