Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2015, 06:00 PM

307 posts, read 560,286 times

Advertisements

As already addressed in this forum...some either just have the money to travel...and others work at a job that takes them all over. It's no secret...I'm far from being wealthy...but I traveled worldwide twice while getting paid for it...during my career in the Federal government (as a civilian); starting as far back as the early '80s with an assigment to a 3-year internship in Korea (from there traveled all over the Far East...mostly on MAC flights (which costs nearly nothing; and yes, civilians working for Uncle Sam overseas can fly MAC, not just active military service folks)...and from there we visited (I was with my wife and two children) other countries....Japan, Philippines, Taiwan...even flew all the way to Amsterdam from Japan...once. Of course, we also traveled extensively within the country of assignment. After my 3 year tour was up...applied for a job in Germany; it was just like transferring to another assignment...no big deal. So another overseas assignment, this time in Europe...and traveled all over while stationed in Germany. Then a transfer to The Netherlands....continued on visiting other European countries while there...plus, every two years, we were entitled to go on renewal travel back to our home of records in the U.S....at government expense. After Europe....back in the U.S. for a year or so...then jumped on another assignment to Japan. More traveling to neighboring countries while there....then an assignment to the island of Guam...and finally back in the U.S. While in Guam we traveled twice a year to the Philippines to do our shopping. Even if we had to pay for our own air fare...it was much cheaper from there than from the U.S.
I finally retired in 2007...but got bored...and applied for a Federal job in Germany. Another wonderful 3-year assignment in 2008 during which we traveled extensively all over Europe. Back in retirement again...but starting to get bored...so maybe I'll just apply for a job in the Far East, this time...and see what happens. I'm may still be poor but now at least I got the travel bug out of my system...well, maybe; wouldn't mind doing it again.

Last edited by FCStraight; 01-02-2015 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Made corrections; minor editing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:43 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have a mortgage. It's under 4% fixed rate interest, so I am in no rush to pay it off. I wouldn't delay travel when one has a mortgage.
Having a mortgage is a **** poor reason not to travel, as is a car payment. I also don't let student loans stop me. Things like major medical bills would be a different story.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:40 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
My discretionary spending doesn't fluctuate much. When I am working, I average around $50/day (not incl hotel and rental car), regardless of whether I am making $3,000/month or $10,000/month. So whenever I have good months I save a lot of money. When I am not working (like right now) my discretionary spending goes way down, $15-25/day range.

Another way I save money is by trying to only work gigs that pay hotel/rental car. And if I am stuck working a job that doesn't pay expenses, I try to team up with another person to split those expenses.

Having a tough time deciding what to do this winter since it is low season for my industry. Can't stand cold weather so options are limited. Low paying campaign in FL (worth maybe $2500-3000/month) with no expenses, if I team up with someone, could prolly squeeze a couple weekend sidetrips per month to the caribbean while down there. My other options are to go live on my best friends crappy cold ass boat in the bay area and work odd jobs with him or fly to a third world country and live on $600/month till work picks up this summer. Not really any good options, wish I had worked harder when the money was good last month lol

Also I avoid taking on debt and avoid responsibility/financial obligations like the plague, so when I make good money, I can get up and go immediately. If I was in a relationship or had a wife and kid or something I don't think I would be able to travel much. Sounds like hell.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Sure, but your airfare is cheaper to the Caribbean so it evens out.
But who wants to go to the Caribbean?

Old 01-03-2015, 09:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Having a mortgage is a **** poor reason not to travel, as is a car payment. I also don't let student loans stop me. Things like major medical bills would be a different story.
That was kind of my point, although depending on the interest rate the car note might stop me for a year--I could pay for half a car or more with my annual travel budget. (We don't buy luxury vehicles)

If my student loans were over 6% interest, I'd pay them before I spent money to travel.

Credit cards, personal loans, medical bills, etc. would all be paid before spending money on travel or anything that wasn't a necessity.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
That was kind of my point, although depending on the interest rate the car note might stop me for a year--I could pay for half a car or more with my annual travel budget. (We don't buy luxury vehicles)

If my student loans were over 6% interest, I'd pay them before I spent money to travel.

Credit cards, personal loans, medical bills, etc. would all be paid before spending money on travel or anything that wasn't a necessity.
I have so much time left on my student loans I just think of them as a bill like insurance so life doesn't stop for me on those. I don't buy luxury vehicles but I do buy the newest ones I can afford so it does end up being a big expense. That being said, the other things you mentioned should be paid off before a vacation.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:21 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
But who wants to go to the Caribbean?
boring people do.
It is winter, Florida! Caribbean! or Florida!

Old 01-03-2015, 06:22 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
I have so much time left on my student loans I just think of them as a bill like insurance so life doesn't stop for me on those. I don't buy luxury vehicles but I do buy the newest ones I can afford so it does end up being a big expense. That being said, the other things you mentioned should be paid off before a vacation.

How often do you buy the newest car you can afford?

Old 01-03-2015, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
How often do you buy the newest car you can afford?
I haven't bought a car since 2010.

Old 01-03-2015, 11:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
car payment stopping you from traveling?

Then you know your priorities...

I luv 2 travel.

I drive a 37 yr old car ($35) that gets 50 mpg on waste cooking oil.
Leaves more money to travel, or to give away to others. (so they can travel).

I had to give away 6 airline tickets and countless first class upgrade coupons when I was sent overseas on an assignment (all were to expire b4 I returned). I still give free tickets to people needing to travel for emergency / funerals.

Priorities... More important for them to go for family and friends, than for me to go somewhere just to travel. They appreciate it, and it is good for them to be recognized / attended to in time of need.

Many people do this for soldiers / veterans / make-a wish... all very important and is the 'cost-of-admission' to be a caring friend. (giving up travel for someone else.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel