Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2017, 12:30 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguy01 View Post
It depends on your priorities. To me memories and experiences far outweigh material goods. I could go out tomorrow and put some money down on a new Challenger or Lincoln. However, I'm happy with my 10-year old Altima and having that downpayment and monthly payment go towards places to go and things to see.
Yes, I was in my mid 40's before I bought a new sofa, I've never owned a new car &, living in a big city now, haven't owned a vehicle for 25 years. Before I bought that first new sofa I just got stuff from thrift shops & lived in rentals as a single & had already visited most of the US & about 30 countries. I also decided on a career that would involve travel for some of the time.

As was said you either have the wanderlust or don't.

I afford it by maximizing credit card bonuses for FF points & fly for very little money, or scan for sale flights that earn FF points for cheap. I stay in B&Bs, small 2 star hotels, serviced apartments & AirBnBs, the $$ I save with all of this & traveling to inexpensive locations like Southeast Asia, Portugal, Spain, Greece allows me to splurge occasionally at some over the top luxe 4 star resort occasionally.

No one I grew up with or is family shares this same priority, they all have big houses crammed with new furniture & multiple vehicles, boats, season tickets, etc... more power to 'em! But not for me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 02:05 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

No one I grew up with or is family shares this same priority, they all have big houses crammed with new furniture & multiple vehicles, boats, season tickets, etc... more power to 'em! But not for me....
It is completely ok to choose big homes and multiple vehicles, just don't complain not being able to afford to travel.

Travel in reality is not that expensive. It is the nice but not necessary things that people spend on during the trip that make it expensive.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:50 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
It is completely ok to choose big homes and multiple vehicles, just don't complain not being able to afford to travel.
Agreed. I like to travel, prioritize travel, and love to hear about others with same passion.

However an interest/engaging in lots of travel doesn't have to be a "this or that" scenario for everyone where we must demonize people who also enjoy having stuff. Life is a balance, and everyone who likes traveling has to find that personal balance on where their spending goes.

I'm proud to travel and have owned a new sofa by age 40.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:00 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I too would love to hear the answer to this.

Or how all these couples on HGTV can afford 400K homes.
No kidding!! I have often wondered this myself.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:32 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
No kidding!! I have often wondered this myself.
Mike is social worker, and Nikki is a kindergarten teacher. These 20 somethings are looking for their first home in Washington DC and want to buy a townhome in trendy Georgetown so they can be near the action. They like to entertain so need plenty of space, and Mike wants a separate workshop so he can indulge his passion for ceramics. Their budget is 1.4 million, let's so what we can help them find!

Old 02-06-2017, 02:09 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
Check out the HGTV List it or love it show. All have million dollars budget. I think it is based in Toronto which has crazy real estate market.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Check out the HGTV List it or love it show. All have million dollars budget. I think it is based in Toronto which has crazy real estate market.
the medium price for a single family home is over $1M indeed.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:26 AM

82 posts, read 151,136 times
I get the saving $ and budgeting for trips, but how do most of you get away with taking that kind of time for work? If I told my boss I was going on vacation for 5 weeks, she would consider it my resignation. We only get 3 weeks of vacation for 5 years and of course, it is accrued as you go.
The most vacation I have ever gotten was 4 weeks and that included sick time too.

Are you all negotiating to your employers about needing vacation ahead of time? Do you take leave without pay?

I do not work for an international employer, nor do I travel for my job.

Since most Americans only get 10 days of vacation a year on average, I am curious how you guys with stable, jobs negotiate the American vacation system. Most employers do the accrue as you go, minimal vacation thing. Or are you the rare unicorns who have been with the same company for 20 years and have a lot of leave?

Old 04-06-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB0909 View Post
I get the saving $ and budgeting for trips, but how do most of you get away with taking that kind of time for work? If I told my boss I was going on vacation for 5 weeks, she would consider it my resignation. We only get 3 weeks of vacation for 5 years and of course, it is accrued as you go.
The most vacation I have ever gotten was 4 weeks and that included sick time too.

Are you all negotiating to your employers about needing vacation ahead of time? Do you take leave without pay?

I do not work for an international employer, nor do I travel for my job.

Since most Americans only get 10 days of vacation a year on average, I am curious how you guys with stable, jobs negotiate the American vacation system. Most employers do the accrue as you go, minimal vacation thing. Or are you the rare unicorns who have been with the same company for 20 years and have a lot of leave?
I don't think it is very usual for Americans to take 5 week vacations. More like 2 weeks max, usually less.

Americans have the least vacation time among rich countries (13 days on average), compared with the high 30s for France, Italy, Germany, Finland etc. This is probably why most Americans during working age don't travel that much internationally.

I don't know why America gets the culture where 3 weeks vacation is considered career suicide and 5 weeks constitutes resignation.

Once I took 8 weeks without pay because 5 weeks is simply not enough for me. That feels great. Why work so much to make so much money any way.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB0909 View Post

I am an employer and I typically give 10 working days of sick time / vacation for the 1st year. This does not include the mandatory holidays and does not include Sat / Sunday. So if they take Thanksgiving week off and fly out Friday evening the week before, and come back on Sunday night post Thanksgiving they can get away for 9 days but it is counted as only 4 days off (M,T,W & F). On many years I give those Black Fridays gratis and don't count it towards vacation time.

In the 2nd year they get 14 working days and from 3rd year onward they get 21 days off.

What I cannot afford to give is 4 continuous weeks off unless it is a real emergency like death in immediate family. Temp agencies cost a lot of money and more importantly, the person will screw up things rather than help. Hence the rest of staff covers the person taking off. Thus the possibility of taking the whole of August off, like it happens in France or Spain, is not possible. Two weeks off at a time is doable. And my staff prefer it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel