Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times

Advertisements

I read the forums at Trip Advisor a lot - mainly the California forum since that's where I live. I notice a lot of international visitors planning a west coast vacation have an itinerary that goes something like this: San Francisco, California Coast, Yosemite, Los Angeles, Disneyland, Grand Canyon, Vegas. Many spend quite a few days in Vegas and cut the other areas short. Now, I'm not knocking Vegas. I've been there several times and really enjoy it for what it is - but a little goes a long way with me. Especially when compared to the other places on the list. And I should also say that a lot of these folks visit during the hottest part of the year. I guess it baffles me. I can't imagine spending only 2 days in SF so I could spend 4 or 5 in LV (especially in August). I know it's all subjective. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Well, you're an hour away from Vegas by plane so whatever you missed seeing/experiencing in Vegas, you can come back the next weekend if you wanted to. They're also influenced by what they see on TV -- Disneyland, the glamour of LA and Vegas, etc.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, you're an hour away from Vegas by plane so whatever you missed seeing/experiencing in Vegas, you can come back the next weekend if you wanted to. They're also influenced by what they see on TV -- Disneyland, the glamour of LA and Vegas, etc.
Very true. They want to see the "usual touristy things" as they describe it.

It's funny - when I lived in TN and visited CA on vacation, I always went to SF. I never wanted to visit Los Angeles. Then I ended up moving here and learned a lot about Southern California, which I love. That being said, I still wouldn't come to LA for vacation - I go to other SoCal areas like Big Bear in the mountains, Joshua Tree National Park in the Mojave, and San Diego.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:06 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
The thing with international visitors to Vegas, they include day trips to national parks in the region aside from the ones in Vegas like Valley of Fire, Red Rock Canyon and the Mt. Charleston/Lee Canyon area. Zion and Bryce can be conveniently visited from Vegas, even a day tour especially Zion. Same can be said with the Grand Canyon in AZ, Grand Canyon West can be visited as a day trip while the farther Grand Canyon North and South can be visited as an overnight trip. Visitors then come back to Vegas to explore other areas like Death Valley and attractions in Southern California.

Yes it is more convenient to visit these areas in AZ and UT when based in Vegas compared to Southern California.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I read the forums at Trip Advisor a lot - mainly the California forum since that's where I live. I notice a lot of international visitors planning a west coast vacation have an itinerary that goes something like this: San Francisco, California Coast, Yosemite, Los Angeles, Disneyland, Grand Canyon, Vegas. Many spend quite a few days in Vegas and cut the other areas short. Now, I'm not knocking Vegas. I've been there several times and really enjoy it for what it is - but a little goes a long way with me. Especially when compared to the other places on the list. And I should also say that a lot of these folks visit during the hottest part of the year. I guess it baffles me. I can't imagine spending only 2 days in SF so I could spend 4 or 5 in LV (especially in August). I know it's all subjective. Thoughts?

If you really want an experience, head over to the Thorn Tree and you'll see hundreds of posts mostly from Europeans who want to see EVERYTHING out west in a week or two.

Personally, I agree that Las Vegas is NOT an attractive location in the hot days of the summer. However, that does not keep thousands of visitors from abroad from heading out to Death valley in July and August.

I spend a week in Las Vegas every other year. I have yet to be bored or lack for things to do. If you do a little looking, there are a LOT of things off-Strip that are pretty interesting. And for us, we really like desert hiking in January and February and there are a great number of good trails within 75 miles.

Unlike the CA locations, Las Vegas is a lot cheaper and there is a lot less congestion/

Again, it comes down to the old adage, "Different strokes for different folks."

Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you really want an experience, head over to the Thorn Tree and you'll see hundreds of posts mostly from Europeans who want to see EVERYTHING out west in a week or two.

Personally, I agree that Las Vegas is NOT an attractive location in the hot days of the summer. However, that does not keep thousands of visitors from abroad from heading out to Death valley in July and August.

I spend a week in Las Vegas every other year. I have yet to be bored or lack for things to do. If you do a little looking, there are a LOT of things off-Strip that are pretty interesting. And for us, we really like desert hiking in January and February and there are a great number of good trails within 75 miles.

Unlike the CA locations, Las Vegas is a lot cheaper and there is a lot less congestion/

Again, it comes down to the old adage, "Different strokes for different folks."
Yes, I've seen posts on TA from a lot of folks who want to see the west in 10 days. You wonder if they've looked at a map - they seem to have no concept of the distance involved. And, yes, Death Valley in August - some from the same folks who are planning to rent a convertible (talk about potential sunburn).

There actually is a lot to do in the Vegas area (I got married there - ). Many people have no idea of the natural/outdoor activities/places of interest. I would love to hear from some of these visitors after their trip to see how it went and what they would have done differently.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:04 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Lots of people like Las Vegas. Look at how many people live there.

Las Vegas is very good at self promotion, but I also think it is a fun party for 2-3 days. Lots of shows, gambling, drinking, maybe a little hanky-panky, and superbly beautiful swimming pools to relax beside. They take care of their tourists there.

I don't think the weather matters since everything is indoors and air-conditioned.

Would I add Las Vegas to my own trip? Not me. But then, I've been there dozens of times and enjoy Vegas about once every 15-20 years. It doesn't offer the things I generally enjoy, but not everybody enjoys the same things.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:10 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Another thing: if you are a careful shopper, Las Vegas can be done extremely cheaply.

There is no way to do San Francisco or Disneyland cheap. But if you are clever, you can get a very nice room in Las Vegas for $25 a night, with free drinks, free gambling tokens, and nice reasonably priced buffet meals. Most of the sites are free, and some of the shows are free. You are expected to leave all your cash on the gambling tables, but you don't have to.

With a little bit of careful management, 3 days in Las Vegas can be very inexpensive. Average that out with some of the expensive destinations and it makes the total cost possible for some folks.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:56 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Another thing: if you are a careful shopper, Las Vegas can be done extremely cheaply.

There is no way to do San Francisco or Disneyland cheap. But if you are clever, you can get a very nice room in Las Vegas for $25 a night, with free drinks, free gambling tokens, and nice reasonably priced buffet meals. Most of the sites are free, and some of the shows are free. You are expected to leave all your cash on the gambling tables, but you don't have to.

With a little bit of careful management, 3 days in Las Vegas can be very inexpensive. Average that out with some of the expensive destinations and it makes the total cost possible for some folks.
Their marketing is to try get you in their property hoping you will gamble lots of money thereby recouping the inexpensive room rate but if you are smart with your money, Vegas can be an inexpensive getaway.

Purely for comparison of quality and price and there have been many, Vegas hotel rooms are some of the best deals out there compared to other cities in the nation and the world.

Last edited by Clarkcty; 02-20-2013 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
I spent 8 days in Vegas this past November*. It was a bit much. By about the 5th day I was pretty bored.

Although that left plenty of time for road trips to the grand canyon and hoover dam. Think next time I go, 4-5 days max.

*The temperature was perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel