Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM

405 posts, read 822,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There is no Days Inn around the corner from Penn Station. The Days Inn in NYC is on the upper west side.

By the way, if whatever Days Inn you stayed at was like any other Days Inn in America, that's yet another good reason to not stay there.
My bad. It was a HOLIDAY Inn. But really, what's the difference? There's about as much difference between Holiday Inn and Days Inn as there is between Walmart and Kmart.

Why so snobbish about it anyway? All the OP wants is a clean, affordable, safe hotel to sleep in between going out and exploring NYC, and either hotel is just as fine in NYC as they are anywhere else in America.

But let me guess: You recommend the Waldolf Astoria or Trump Tower instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
My bad. It was a HOLIDAY Inn. But really, what's the difference? There's about as much difference between Holiday Inn and Days Inn as there is between Walmart and Kmart.

Why so snobbish about it anyway? All the OP wants is a clean, affordable, safe hotel to sleep in between going out and exploring NYC, and either hotel is just as fine in NYC as they are anywhere else in America.

But let me guess: You recommend the Waldolf-Astoria or Trump Tower instead?
There's a HUGE difference between Holiday Inn and Days Inn. While they aren't my first choice, Holiday Inn has recently gone through a massive refurbishment across the brand and their hotels (for the most part) are quite comfortable, along the lines of a Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.

The Waldorf--nah, it's over priced and riding on it's reputation. The Trump Tower in NYC is not a hotel.

The Four Seasons is nice but expensive, as is the Carlyle. For a mid-range hotel in NYC I'd probably say the Times Square Marriott. The rooms are huge and modern by NYC standards, and you can't beat the location.

The Giraffe is a neat boutique hotel on Park Ave South that's really nice, although not the best location for the average tourist.

I used to stay at the Edison several nights a month on business, it was a decent modest hotel then--the location was amazing. The last time I stayed there--probably 1995 or so--it was really showing it's age. I understand it's going through a total rehab, and if you can get one of the redone rooms it's a great deal. The rooms that haven't been redone--ish.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM

405 posts, read 822,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There's a HUGE difference between Holiday Inn and Days Inn. While they aren't my first choice, Holiday Inn has recently gone through a massive refurbishment across the brand and their hotels (for the most part) are quite comfortable, along the lines of a Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn.
Yeah, I remember hearing about Holiday Inn refurbishing nationwide...about TEN YEARS ago!!!

I'll let you have it since you sound like you live in the NYC area, but I have still never been to any city in America where there was a huge difference in quality between Holiday Inn and Days Inn, so I really don't see why Days Inn in NYC would be much different.

Last edited by Carlito Brigante; 03-14-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
Yeah, I remember hearing about Holiday Inn refurbishing nationwide...about TEN YEARS ago!!!
Think again. The brand-wide refurbishment program started in 2008.

Quote:
I'll let you have it since you sound like you live in the NYC area, but I have still never been to any city in America where there was a huge difference in quality between Holiday Inn and Days Inn, so I really don't see why Days Inn in NYC would be much different.
Then you obviously haven't stayed in many of them. I've stayed in about three dozen Days Inns (never again!) and at least 100 Holiday Inns across the country--at one point I was actually keeping track with the paper catalog of every Holiday Inn in North America you could pick up at any of their locations. Even at it's worst, the Holiday Inn brand was better than the Days Inn brand at it's best.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes. You nailed it.

And the problem is, if I were to check a handbook (or even website) for some of those things, it might not even be valid that day when I am there! Something might be out of service or off that day for some unexpected reason. Who knows.

At least if you are a local your mind will automatically think of a million other options to bypass that. If you are new to the city, though, that could be a major obstacle.

Okay, so what's the worst that could happen? You are in the US. You speak the native language. There are people all over, you will never be in a "remote" part of Manhattan. Part of traveling (for me anyway) is figuring things out, learning how other "cultures" (using that loosely) do things.

I feel like you are psyching yourself out. If you don't want to go to New York, that's fine--it's not for everyone. But there's absolutely no reason to be afraid.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Okay, so what's the worst that could happen? You are in the US. You speak the native language. There are people all over, you will never be in a "remote" part of Manhattan. Part of traveling (for me anyway) is figuring things out, learning how other "cultures" (using that loosely) do things.

I feel like you are psyching yourself out. If you don't want to go to New York, that's fine--it's not for everyone. But there's absolutely no reason to be afraid.
Agreed. Stay within the lower 90's to the north and pretty much anywhere to the south within the borough of Manhattan and use common sense and you'll be fine. Walking in Times Square at 4:00 am--safe. Walking in the Bowery at 4:00 am, might not be a good idea.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:43 AM

Ha, I used to tend bar on the Bowery. Fifteen years ago I'd agree with you (though I still walked home after my shift) , but now, it's really not a problem unless you're drunk and looking for a fight. Obviously anything can happen anywhere, but I really feel like in Manhattan especially, you need to be looking for it.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Ha, I used to tend bar on the Bowery. Fifteen years ago I'd agree with you (though I still walked home after my shift) , but now, it's really not a problem unless you're drunk and looking for a fight. Obviously anything can happen anywhere, but I really feel like in Manhattan especially, you need to be looking for it.
I'm female, so my perspective might be a bit different. 35 years ago Times Square was bad--even during the day! The last time I was staggering drunk in NYC was 1991, I was in some crap hole bar on W 54th, then ended up at a friends house on Riverside in the lower 90's. I got into an argument with my friend and left around 4:00 am, no idea how I got back to my place in Hell's Kitchen. I consider myself very lucky that I got home safe, and never drank like that again.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM

I'm female as well. And I'm definitely not advocating walking home in the wee hours--by all means, take a cab, but I did and lived to tell the take. Not engaging junkies or drunks is the key. But of course, people should do what's best for them.

Definitely being wildly impaired puts you in a more vulnerable state, no matter what your gender.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,497 times
I also have to chime in that NYC (Manhattan, at least) is very easy to get around. The streets are mostly numerical, in a simple grid system that makes sense. Stay below 100th street and its very safe, and for a first trip you won't have any reason to be up there anyway. The subway is fairly straightforward, but to keep things extra simple you can ignore that and just use cabs/ your own two feet.

Something about the fact that its an island makes it feel much more manageable and easy to comprehend. The touristy places like Times Square aren't gritty at all, its practically Disney. NYC is definitely worth a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel