Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times

Advertisements

There are Days Inns and Comfort Inns in Manhattan....instead of getting off the interstate, you get off the subway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
There are Days Inns and Comfort Inns in Manhattan....instead of getting off the interstate, you get off the subway
You do NOT want to stay at the Days Inn in NYC.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That bad, huh?

BTW, Congrats on your win.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That bad, huh?

BTW, Congrats on your win.
Thanks--It's going to charity. Matching funds will make it a tidy sum.

And yes, beyond that bad. Seriously, beyond that bad.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 PM

405 posts, read 822,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Don't listen to this. I stayed at Days Inn in Manhattan around the block from Penn Station a year ago and it wasn't any different from any other Days Inn anywhere in middle America. It was very clean and well kept and the staff were very friendly and professional.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I think I understand the OP's concerns. Some of the ways of doing things in the large cities can be a little different than the smaller towns or rural areas and intimidating if you don't know them and you can come across as a ignoramous. Like, who to tip and who not to tip. How much to tip. What are good places to stay in large cities. It isn't like there are legions of Days Inns or Comfort Inns or even Motel 6s at convenient easy to find places like along the interstate highway. Where do you pay for the bus or subway. Pay when you get on the bus, or do you get some kind of day pass somewhere? Are there more appropriate dress codes for certain places or areas like museums or restaurants?
These type of questions may seem obvious to city dwellers but for more rural people getting around can be a bit more confusing if you haven't done it before.
Yes. You nailed it.

And the problem is, if I were to check a handbook (or even website) for some of those things, it might not even be valid that day when I am there! Something might be out of service or off that day for some unexpected reason. Who knows.

At least if you are a local your mind will automatically think of a million other options to bypass that. If you are new to the city, though, that could be a major obstacle.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,097,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
Don't listen to this. I stayed at Days Inn in Manhattan around the block from Penn Station a year ago and it wasn't any different from any other Days Inn anywhere in middle America. It was very clean and well kept and the staff were very friendly and professional.
LOL. The user that posted in another thread that also said any meal in Vegas under $500 was "Golden Corral" quality at best. I'd take anything she posts with more than a grain of salt.

Personally, I have never stayed in a Days Inn in NYC, but if you want a semi-accurate description of what to expect, I'd look at reviews on Trip Adviser and toss out the best and worst ones. Usually, the majority of reviews offer a good idea of what you can expect from a particular hotel. It has always worked that way for me, anyways.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:13 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,097,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes. You nailed it.

And the problem is, if I were to check a handbook (or even website) for some of those things, it might not even be valid that day when I am there! Something might be out of service or off that day for some unexpected reason. Who knows.

At least if you are a local your mind will automatically think of a million other options to bypass that. If you are new to the city, though, that could be a major obstacle.
I would suggest asking a New Yorker if you have questions in regards to transit and the like. I found them to be very approachable and friendly when I was there, despite their reputation for having a "New York attitude".

Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito Brigante View Post
There is no Days Inn around the corner from Penn Station. The Days Inn in NYC is on the upper west side.

By the way, if whatever Days Inn you stayed at was like any other Days Inn in America, that's yet another good reason to not stay there.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
LOL. The user that posted in another thread that also said any meal in Vegas under $500 was "Golden Corral" quality at best. I'd take anything she posts with more than a grain of salt.
Actually that's not at all what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel