U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 AM

4,270 posts, read 13,973,174 times

Advertisements

It's getting to be that time of year: the dreaded holiday traveling season! This will be the first time that DH and I are traveling during Christmas to spend time with relatives. My question is, should I just mail all holiday gifts to Mom's place or should I bring them with me on our flight? Is traveling really that bad during Christmas? Share your experience, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 12:09 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,269,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
It's getting to be that time of year: the dreaded holiday traveling season! This will be the first time that DH and I are traveling during Christmas to spend time with relatives. My question is, should I just mail all holiday gifts to Mom's place or should I bring them with me on our flight? Is traveling really that bad during Christmas? Share your experience, thanks!
You can not take them wrapped at all. I would send them ahead or go shopping when you get there. If you want to ship try even UPS or FedEx instead of the regular mail. You can wrap the gifts then place them in a cardboard box to be shipped. When the relative receives the delivery they can open the box and place the wrapped presents under the tree. Then you don't have to worry about lugging all of that stuff thru the airport or taking up room in your luggage.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:15 PM

We get there on the 24th so buying it there is out of the question. We probably won't be wrapping until we get there, too, because we are both procrastinators so that's why either shipping or taking it with us didn't matter either way - except the level of "hassle" it might be to take it with us. Shipping sounds more like a good idea though!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,513,093 times
Definitely ship. Why be bogged down with so many packages? Just going through the ticket and security lines alone is a hassle.

Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM

lol ... yes, you have a point there.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
Definitely ship. Why be bogged down with so many packages? Just going through the ticket and security lines alone is a hassle.
No kidding. I've even checked on shipping our luggage ahead of us. There are companies that do that but they are EXPENSIVE!!! I'd just use UPS or FedEx. I do know of several people that have shipped home their dirty laundry. LOL!!! Now THAT I'm ALL game for.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:37 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,121,016 times
Whatever else you do, never try to fly with a fruitcake. Apparently, fruitcake is so dense that it does not x-ray. This makes them good for concealing weapons. They will confiscate a fruitcake.

Just another piece of useless trivia that floats around in my head......

Old 10-26-2007, 02:39 PM

lol Evey. Luckily, I hate fruitcake so I never give 'em out as gifts (although I have received my fair share).

It ain't useless nowadays that's for sure! thanks!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
Whatever else you do, never try to fly with a fruitcake. Apparently, fruitcake is so dense that it does not x-ray. This makes them good for concealing weapons. They will confiscate a fruitcake.

Just another piece of useless trivia that floats around in my head......
You know somewhere some greatful relative is thankful for that. LOL!!! BTW, you can not take ANY beverage or food thru security at the airports unless it is baby related (formula, etc) or required for a medical need and must have a doctors note.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 AM

1,854 posts, read 8,744,370 times
I think you should bring gifts on the plane. There are usually three flight attendants, and always two pilots per flight. The flight attendants like jewelry. The pilots like sunglasses, leather bomber jackets, or hair gel. Your flight will be met by two mechanics. We like tools and, shiny things. The bag smashers like bananas, and peanuts. I'm so glad that there is somebody that finally wants to show their appreciation for us around the holidays. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or