Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 04:38 AM

21 posts, read 51,318 times

Advertisements

Thailand is very good place to visit and you can explore beauty of Thailand within your budget. You have sufficient amount of money for a solo traveler. Street food is not that costly here, but you need to avoid bars. You can enjoy your whole day within 200 euros. Now you can make your calculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 02:05 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,510,247 times
Your budget is my nightmare!! Isn't this supposed to be a super budget-friendly region? Why not take local transport? Those ferry costs sound appalling. You can find nice private rooms for so much cheaper than a hotel and there's practically no difference. I also hate tour guides and would rather just ask locals or follow locals, and rent my own equipment. But I'm not for everyone so....enjoy either way.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,875,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
that's a straight up mongering budget. i think the focus of his trip is more conventional tourist stuff. if he is only going to experiment with the P4P scene for a couple nights of his trip he would be fine to just bring an extra 4000-6000b for his trip.
Listen to foadi ... he knows what he is talking about. He lives there! (Hi foadi! Sa wa dee kup!)

Having been to Thailand 5 times myself, I do recommend a trip to Koh Phi Phi. It is a tropical paradise.

If you survived relatively dangerous Rio de Janeiro (been there 4 times), you'll do fine in Thailand.

Oh, also check out one of the spectacular "ladyboy" drag shows ... they are a hoot!

Enjoy!

Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,472,545 times
Some tips about Thailand:

Ladrona de gatos.: Rumbo a Tailandia... parte I

Old 04-07-2014, 06:58 AM

4,105 posts, read 5,527,445 times
Have only been to Koh Samui (and going to spend 2 months this coming winter there). You can pay a wide range of prices for meals. We found a Thai food only restaurant with great food and many of the meals were the equivalent of $2.50, not including drink.

I never used my credit card except for accommodation, but used ATM's and paid everything else with cash.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,435,857 times
You may want to go to Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand as well. It's very different from Phuket and very cultural (although still touristy). Air Asia has cheap flights from Phuket to Chiang Mai.

If you're happy to stay in backpacker resorts and lodges and hostels you can travel around Thailand very cheaply at much lower prices than you initially suggested. But it's up to you.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:20 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,662,062 times
If you're not counting your hotel and all that other stuff listed, you don't need much cash it all, depending. For example, you can go to a food court or eat street food and pay about a dollar a meal. Of course, you can also spend more. Eat at an Irish pub and you can easily blow $10. As for transportation, I usually try to avoid the tuk tuks and just walk everywhere. Or, you could rent a motorbike. Figure $3 or so for a beer.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:24 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,781,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
How much would i need to bring for cash? (tips, to buy street food, etc) I would also bring a credit card for the trip.
This is the 21st century. People don't carry wads of cash for travel anymore. I go out of the country all the time - India, Brazil, China...I might have $5 in my pocket. I don't even think twice about cash. I assume you have a bank account with sufficient savings.

Bring a credit card (as you mention) and an ATM card. ATM card you use as needs dictate, not too much or too little, enough to last you a day or two to balance out the risk of theft and loss vs. the transactional fees vs. convenience.

And a 28 year old single male in Thailand, yes indeed budget for, shall we say, adult-related entertainment.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,662,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This is the 21st century. People don't carry wads of cash for travel anymore. I go out of the country all the time - India, Brazil, China...I might have $5 in my pocket. I don't even think twice about cash. I assume you have a bank account with sufficient savings.

Bring a credit card (as you mention) and an ATM card. ATM card you use as needs dictate, not too much or too little, enough to last you a day or two to balance out the risk of theft and loss vs. the transactional fees vs. convenience.

And a 28 year old single male in Thailand, yes indeed budget for, shall we say, adult-related entertainment.
You really do have to be careful about overusing your ATM card. Some banks rip you off on transaction fees and so on. Also, it's not unheard of to have your card cloned by way of a skimmer.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:02 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,832,495 times
Default as an American it is easy, not so for others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

But as a French citizen, I can testify that if you don't have a VisaGold (very expensive in France) but only the average Visa credit card (as I do), the ceiling for [I suspect] political reasons is very low, and more than once as I was travelling in Mexico or Thailand I had problems because I couldn't get cash from ATMs, typically I had to wait a week to have my ceiling replenished (I'm allowed 400 $ a week typically).
So I always travel with cash (I change while arriving at the airport of destination). And nevertheless I never have enough cash because again and again I encounter this problem of blocked account.
The problem is that bankers are not very honest in my country, they won't allow a customer to get a Gold for one month only, the only contract available is for a year, it's outrageous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel