Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 07:43 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Because people here are afraid of their own shadows! Don't you see how they shoot themselves at every corner! Imagine if they saw someone with a backpack walking around!

Yes of course travel is only directed at the rich here; every time I come from Europe here it costs me 1/4 of the price it costs me to go from here to Europe and beyond. Tourism for the low budget is not encouraged at all....cable is and burgers and fries are though; remember once you're way over your BMI it is hard to fit in a plane. They don't want "everyone" to travel, otherwise they couldn't keep up the brainwashing into thinking US is the only country around; pathetic.
Who is "they?" Frankly anyone who can't fit into a plane seat because they eat themselves into obesity is a MORON who doesn't deserve to leave their La-Z-Boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:45 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well yes, I know most travel within the US is for Americans, but it just seems that they aren't catering for a very large segment of travellers, that is backpacker's and budget student travellers. There certainly is a big demand for it, the hostels I did visit in the States were usually quite well booked out, but I don't know, I still didn't feel that sense of community.etc that I've got staying at hostels here.
It's not that large of a segment.

One of the reasons budget travelers don't come to the US is that it costs $1000 for a r/t plane ticket.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
In larger cities with year-round low hotel vacancies and a huge demand for resident housing, it's usually a financial issue. A hotel or apartment building will bring in way more money while ensuring less wear and tear on the building.

It's also just not as familiar a concept to many Americans. Some people think it's inherently gross or dirty or unsafe. When I mentioned my SO and I staying in a hostel in Prague once, a friend was very surprised to learn we stayed in a private room, just the two of us. A lot of people think it's all just huge rooms with bunk beds.

That said, most major American cities do have hostels....a brand new large one just opened in Boston last year.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,817 times
I have seen lots of international travelers in the different places I have traveled here in the US, and I don't see any that would appear to be backpackers. The tourists that come to the US from other countries seem to be families, who rent cars to drive to their destinations, stay in hotels, etc. I just don't think we even have that "back packer" travel culture here with international travelers.
As others have mentioned, motels can be found for as cheap as a hostel would cost anyway, with added conveniences such as private bathrooms, TV, etc, so those who want a cheap option have it without having to stay in something like a hostel.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
i dont think you'll find it. hostels in the US are mostly for drug addicts and other people you don't want to be around. i wouldn't recommend you stay at them even if you exclusively stay at hostels in other countries - hostels are bad news in the US.

as far as broke student travellers and such, isn't that what coachsurfing is for? they have plenty of options to travel on the cheap in the US.

just because a country lacks hostels doesn't mean it lacks budget travel options - it's far cheaper to travel in the US than in australia.
truth in this^^^

In USA it is far more likely that cheap places to stay will be abused (a price of USA freedom).

There are many inexpensive options as good or better than hostels (Which my little kids would refer to a 'foster homes for college kids'.) But our kids got WIDE exposure to international budget travel and options.

We've used private guest / hospitality homes for over 25 yrs ($10 - $20/night Worldwide)
Fairly new is CasaCasa.org

I regions of USA where a typical backpack traveler will be going, there are usually options, but camping is most probable choice for majority of time. (during season...) During winters 'work-kamping'; working maint for resorts / hotels / camps suits many.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
i dont think you'll find it. hostels in the US are mostly for drug addicts and other people you don't want to be around. i wouldn't recommend you stay at them even if you exclusively stay at hostels in other countries - hostels are bad news in the US.
Foadl makes a good point. In the US, a hostel may NOT discriminate against anyone in renting out their rooms.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:

as far as broke student travellers and such, isn't that what coachsurfing is for? they have plenty of options to travel on the cheap in the US.

just because a country lacks hostels doesn't mean it lacks budget travel options - it's far cheaper to travel in the US than in australia.
Oh the hostels were find, mostly just normal travellers from all over the world, but I don't know, they didn't seem quite as communal as the ones here.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's not that large of a segment.

One of the reasons budget travelers don't come to the US is that it costs $1000 for a r/t plane ticket.
So in that case they should just be ignored? And yes, it's pretty sizeable. Many folk from Europe so to SE Asia and Australia, as I mentioned, which is further away. Australia is further away to get to yet our backpacker hostels are usually full. The US still gets far more overseas tourists than Australia does so that's not an excuse.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I would attribute it to several factors:

1) Americans are more likely to drive than to use trains or buses. That gives us a lot of flexibility as to where to stay. In my youth, I was as likely to stretch out my sleeping bag in the back seat than to pay for a room.

2) The backpacker types - and I have met quite a few - do want to spend much. That eliminates the ability of an operator to make much money on the proposition.

3) The few hostels I have been to in the US actually cost more than the cheaper hotels.

4) I do not think that many people want to sleep in a room with a bunch of strangers - even in my younger days.
#4 is the biggie for me. I spent my junior year of college in Europe and stayed in a lot of hostels. It took some getting use to: sleeping in a room of strangers and sometimes showering in group showers (for a woman, especially). It's not only a control issue but also the fear that danger lurks everywhere and anywhere. Looking back, I can't believe that I was a good looking (or so I was told ) 20-year old who would sleep dorm style with complete strangers who were sometimes quite intoxicated. But hostels were so prevalent there that it seemed more natural and certainly less scary than it would have in the U.S.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
#4 is the biggie for me. I spent my junior year of college in Europe and stayed in a lot of hostels. It took some getting use to: sleeping in a room of strangers and sometimes showering in group showers (for a woman, especially). It's not only a control issue but also the fear that danger lurks everywhere and anywhere. Looking back, I can't believe that I was a good looking (or so I was told ) 20-year old who would sleep dorm style with complete strangers who were sometimes quite intoxicated. But hostels were so prevalent there that it seemed more natural and certainly less scary than it would have in the U.S.
Yeah if you've stayed in enough hostels you'll see just about anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel