Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

I happen to live in a small town that gets a lot of foreign visitors. A large handful of them are "backpackers".

Those backpackers stay in our extremely nice campgrounds. A state or federal campground costs somewhere between free and $12 a night, depending upon how elaborate the facilities are.

You would have a difficult time doing that in Britain of Europe. The campgrounds in Britain all have large signs saying "no tents", so you must own an expensive travel rig in order to camp. The campgrounds in Europe are more like resorts with pools, restaurants, recreation, and they are not cheap. Cheaper than a motel, but still, not cheap. I know they allow tents, because I have tent camped in campgrounds in Europe, but they cost. (and I think, well worth the money; they are very nice)

All over the USA, you can camp in a federal or state campground for not any more than $12 a night. That will usually include a hot shower. So why would you want to sleep in a dormitory with a bunch of strangers?

All over the USA, you can find older courtyard motels. They are all along old highways in areas that have new freeway bypasses. Those motels can be had for as cheap as $25 a night and you can put up to 4 people in one of those $25 rooms. So what's the point of staying in a hostel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Incidentally, if you don't mind sleeping in a room full of strangers, you can stay in any of the homeless shelters for free to $2 a night. Large room full of beds, and there is a supervisor at night to prevent mayhem. Nobody checks your finances, although I consider it pretty darn low to pretend to be pennyless in order to take up a bed that someone else genuinely needs.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
There is also a website, but I do not know what it is where people can rent rooms in a home (no, not b&b). One of my friends did this a few months ago and I think it worked out well. I know it was not pricey at all. let's face it, America is just not the type of country that welcomes Youth Hostiles, and cheap backpacking sites.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
As others have already mentioned, there are a variety of inexpensive options for budget travelers, from Couchsurfing to AirBnB to Hospitality Exchange.

If you look at the "Specialty Lodging" option on Tripadvisor there are a variety of ways to spend the night. It might not have the name 'hostel' but it might be backpacker friendly.

A place that comes to mind is the well-located San Remo Hotel in San Francisco. It's not dirt cheap, but reasonably priced for that city, with several different room options--and it is sparkling clean. We also stayed in a beautiful hostel on the Big Island of Hawaii. If you want to be frugal, all you have to do is research a bit.

Maybe there would be a better hostel system if we had a better public transportation system. But the USA is so big, and we do seem to love our automobiles.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Why not ask "Why do Europe and other countries have youth hostels and cater to backpackers? We don't do it in the US and we have millions of people visit every year."

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Why not ask "Why do Europe and other countries have youth hostels and cater to backpackers? We don't do it in the US and we have millions of people visit every year."
Maybe it is because Europeans work a lot less and need to really economize in order to travel so frequently.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:09 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,196 times
I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am an American and recently traveled to India and England. I stayed at a nice hotel in Jaipur, India that was about $30 a night which is reasonable. I went to London and stayed at a hotel one night that cost me about $90 or so, the following nights, I decided to stay at a hostel that cost me about $40 or so a night. The hostel was my first experience and I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'd do it again. I stayed in a smaller room (they did have larger rooms with 6, 10 and 12 people...I'm too old for that)....room of 4 but the first night, it was just me. The next night, it was a full room of girls, me from America, one from South Africa and the other two from Norway. No problem...this hostel I stayed at in London was highly rated and when I got there, I could see why...their stuff was IN ORDER!!! I'd do it again and I am a bit older as I am "pushing" at 40's door in a few years.

I am looking forward to a hostel experience in the states but you have to be from out of state and have a passport from many of the places I've called.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 AM

99 posts, read 218,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
NYC is not a typical American city. In Houston, you can get a decent hotel room with $55 using priceline bidding. If you travel with a friend, the cost per person could be less than $30 by sharing a hotel room. Hostels don't necessarily save you a lot of money.

The hassle of sharing a bedroom with a few complete strangers far outweights the benefit of meeting cool people.

A private room with private bathroom = privacy and peace of mind
Many times I travel solo therefore it absolutely saves me money staying in a hostel. Plus it's a great way to meet people who are usually around my age. I don't know if I would hostel if I were over 30.

Different strokes for different folks. There is absolutely no hassle when I do the hostel thing but some people aren't comfortable with that and that's fine. Personally I love hostels. Bathroom privacy really isn't a big deal for me. I go in, lock the door, do what I need to do then leave. Simple.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amroacje View Post
Many times I travel solo therefore it absolutely saves me money staying in a hostel. Plus it's a great way to meet people who are usually around my age. I don't know if I would hostel if I were over 30.

Different strokes for different folks. There is absolutely no hassle when I do the hostel thing but some people aren't comfortable with that and that's fine. Personally I love hostels. Bathroom privacy really isn't a big deal for me. I go in, lock the door, do what I need to do then leave. Simple.
I guess I'm too old for that.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amroacje View Post
... Personally I love hostels. Bathroom privacy really isn't a big deal for me. I go in, lock the door, do what I need to do then leave. Simple.
It was the broken locks on the co-ed showers in France that ended hosteling for our young family. Kids loved it, but mom had a few 'reservations'...

NO MORE staying in "Foster homes for college kids", party over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel