Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM

104 posts, read 174,861 times

Advertisements

Most beautiful rest areas: The two (there were only two) on my road trip from Scottsdale to the Grand Canyon. Clean and breathtaking beautiful scenery.

Best drive-thru coffee shop: This is really a Washington State thing. But I'll give it to Big Foot Java.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 05:45 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,535,791 times
I agree with the poster that said the Oak Creek Canyon Road in Sedona, Az is beautiful. We did this years ago and I can still recall it vividly. The worst most boring road I have traveled was the PA turnpike but I'm sure there are many more like it further west. When we travel any further we usually fly.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:20 PM

10,328 posts, read 13,868,107 times
Interstate Driving

Most boring drives-I-94 in North Dakota and I-70 in Kansas.

Neatest transitions-I-90 Chamberlain, SD (you see the west and Midwest transition on the Missouri River) and I-90 in Cle Elum, WA. The desolate plains give way to the gorgeous Cascades.

Most complained about drive-I-80 through Nebraska. People in Wyoming and Iowa whine about that drive but it really isn't that bad. The western part is no different than Wyoming and the majority of the state looks just like Iowa.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captiv8ed View Post
Worst winds: Wyoming. We saw a motor home that had been ripped in half because the person driving had lost control due to the wind. There were several feet between the front half and the back half of the RV.
I agree with you on that one, especially I-80 and I-25 near Casper.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill_harry51 View Post
I want to travel like you
Like me?

Old 08-08-2013, 03:34 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,067,977 times
I think most interstates that pass through mountain areas are fairly scenic. The only time I've literally been in awe of my surroundings was during our road trip out to the mountain west. We flew into Denver and drove to Rapid City for a few days. Our next stop was Glacier NP, but it is a two day drive so day one was from Rapid City to Billings, MT. Of course on the way there, we stopped at Devil's Tower and Battle of Little Bighorn. While heading north on I-90, near Sheridan, WY, we were at an upper elevation and had a great view of the surrounding area and how sparse it was. I got a feeling of just how vast the land of the Earth is. I felt like we were already at the top of the globe and it was hard to imagine that millions of people lived further north (Calgary and Edmonton). I felt that we had left all the population behind us given how rural WY and MT can be. Never really had that kind of feeling before, but prior trips had been less driving, and never in such sparsely populated areas.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
I think most interstates that pass through mountain areas are fairly scenic. The only time I've literally been in awe of my surroundings was during our road trip out to the mountain west. We flew into Denver and drove to Rapid City for a few days. Our next stop was Glacier NP, but it is a two day drive so day one was from Rapid City to Billings, MT. Of course on the way there, we stopped at Devil's Tower and Battle of Little Bighorn. While heading north on I-90, near Sheridan, WY, we were at an upper elevation and had a great view of the surrounding area and how sparse it was. I got a feeling of just how vast the land of the Earth is. I felt like we were already at the top of the globe and it was hard to imagine that millions of people lived further north (Calgary and Edmonton). I felt that we had left all the population behind us given how rural WY and MT can be. Never really had that kind of feeling before, but prior trips had been less driving, and never in such sparsely populated areas.
I know that I-90 stretch very well. It is a neat stretch through Wyoming. A little flat land between Gillette and Buffalo but the Black Hills are pretty (Sundance especially) and Sheridan is nice as well. It doesn't take much imagination at the Little Bighorn Battlefield to imagine what Custer and his troops saw.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:48 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,164,642 times
Most boring drives-I-94 in North Dakota

Gee, I can't wait to take that drive next month.

Every time I head up I-15 in Montana I'm amazed at how the terrain in Montana (mountainous) virtually stops the second you roll across the border into Alberta. Ok, not literally, it's a little before the border. I always think to myself, man, Canada got screwed. Then I get to Calgary and I'm jealous .

Old 08-09-2013, 07:22 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,421,100 times
Most boring has to be US 2 in Montana, North Dakota and Minnesota

Most desolate would be the AlCan in the Yukon

Most beautiful would also be the AlCan in the Yukon and northern British Columbia

Worst pavement award goes to the Skyway in Chicago, for a toll road its almost an urban 2 track

I'll be making the 3,700 mile Alaska - Michigan road trip again in September, hoping for some good fall colour

Old 08-09-2013, 09:31 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,021,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
One of my most memorable road trips was from New York City to Newfoundland, Canada.

I drove up to Maine, stayed a couple of days in the beautiful artist's town of Ogunquit and from there took my car on a ferry from Portland to Nova Scotia. Drove the absolutely lovely "Cabot Trail" which must be one of the most stunning drives in North America. Took another ferry from Sydney on Cape Breton Island to Newfoundland. In Newfoundland I explored Gros Morne National Park with it's gorgeous mountain scenery and fjords.

This is a road trip I highly recommend!
I just did something very similar! Drove from Boston to the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton Island, and then took the ferry to Prince Edward Island and drove all around the island, except the far western part. Beaches there are warmer than Massachusetts beaches - most Americans don't realize this. I wish I had time to go as far as Newfoundland, which I hear is also awesome.

It was really pleasant driving in the Canadian Maritimes. Besides the scenery, the pavement was immaculately smooth (I thought cold weather = tons of frost heaves. Guess that's BS!), and I literally saw only one traffic cop the entire time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel