U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-08-2013, 04:51 PM

9,473 posts, read 11,773,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
From the Internet, but I can't remember exactly which site though -- more than likely it was from Icelandair site. At the time, Iceland was (or maybe still is) going through a near bankruptcy state so the country wanted to attract tourists from all over the world to bring in their money. Thus, the Iceland Tourist Board, together with Icelandair, offered low price packages for months on end, but they were only from specific departure airports. We lived in Charleston (SC) then, and the nearest airport on the list was Boston. That didn't deter us since we've always loved road trips, so we drove to Boston, stayed for two days before leaving for Iceland, then after Iceland, stayed for another two days in Boston. On the drive home, we made a detour to DC and stayed for three days. Every trip we've taken in our life has always been that way, with spur-of-the-moment extensions and detours.

Remember that the dirt cheap trips to Iceland were in the winter months ... when Iceland has perhaps 3-5 hours of sunlight a day. In the summer months, the same package was available at a price 4-5x as much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,332,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Remember that the dirt cheap trips to Iceland were in the winter months ... when Iceland has perhaps 3-5 hours of sunlight a day. In the summer months, the same package was available at a price 4-5x as much.
Actually, there were more than 3-5 hours of sunlight in the week we were there. There were about 7 hours, between 9AM and 4PM, when Reykjavik looked just like Seattle on any given day. And even when the sun wasn't in the sky, it's not darkness but more like overcast, again, just like Seattle on most days.

It's true that most people prefer to travel in nicer weather, but you cannot see the aurora borealis in the summer months. For us in particular, we've seen quite a few parts of Northern Europe in the spring and autumn, so clear cold nights with a sky full of dancing lights was an offer that's hard to ignore. And, the icing on an already attractive cake was a few hours immersing in the 100 Blue Lagoon with silica mud on our faces when it's 30 outside. IMO, the Blue Lagoon in the summer wouldn't be quite the same thing.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 05-08-2013 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 01:10 PM

9,758 posts, read 13,808,518 times
LAX to SPU rt for $664. Had to fly Czech Air, was the only caveat. Had a wonderful 3 weeks all along the Dalmatian coast though, best vacation I can remember.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:33 PM

10,797 posts, read 11,521,054 times
Wow you guys got some serious deals!! I'm hoping to score something cheaper from Denver to Las Vegas for bf's bday next month

Old 05-11-2013, 02:57 PM

4,890 posts, read 6,215,357 times
There are some on frontier for $75/pp each way DEN-LAS That's not a bad price

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 PM

89 posts, read 56,658 times
My dad and I once flew from Springfield, Missouri to Phoenix for twenty five dollars a piece on Allegiant Air. It was actually cheaper to fly to Phoenix, rent a car and drive to LA then it was to fly directly to LA.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 AM

4,404 posts, read 5,459,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
London to Istanbul for $ 25 return. It would cost me far more to take the train from Oxford to London....
It is costing us $70/person to take the train from Paris to Marseille...that is an amazing price.

The best for me was Los Angeles to Vegas for $250 including 4 nights at the MGM Grand. We priced the rooms and the one we had was usually 75-80 per night in the off season (it was in early April) so we decided the flight was -$70...a good deal.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 AM

50,031 posts, read 42,368,204 times
the very best we have ever gotten: free: our daughter (younger one) works for a major airline. We use passes and she won't even let us pay the service charge...

Let me add, we don't do this very often anymore. It is not worth the bother. It used to be pretty easy and we could fly on several lines. That isn't the case as much anymore, the cut backs on available flights, the crowded planes, etc. we usually just purchase a ticket.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:37 AM

1,741 posts, read 1,654,999 times
When we were childless we jumped on low fares every chance we got, took bumps what ever it took. One year we flew from Boston to La on free round trips, then got a package deal from La to Hawaii RT including 7 nights lodging for $399 each.

Most memorable flight was just before Eastern shut down and was returning from San Fran on a free round trip and I was one of two people on a 730 something plane..the girls moved myself and the other young lady up to first class...........I felt like a king

Old 07-07-2013, 08:32 AM

4,563 posts, read 3,725,236 times
Back in the 1980's a local company had purchased too many seats on an airplane for a charter they were doing to Honolulu. It was a last minute deal and right over the Christmas holiday. At that time, DW and I were child free and had an ability to "drop everything". I contacted the company and they literally let us have five days in Hawaii with airfare for $100 a piece. We took my wife's parents with us. I've never seen anything like it before and I know I'll never see anything like it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel