U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 AM

396 posts, read 421,284 times

Advertisements

we want to be somewhere warm enough for beach living next winter and have six months to spend give or take a month or three.
we could spend some or all of the time in the states but hope to get a little more exotic if possible.
our criteria so far--
safe, we're not into heightened security measures and want to relax in the environment.
small city, large town is fine--not into night life other than the occasional late dinner out.
decent medical support in case of emergency--within an hour is good
warm enough for snorkeling and scuba
cost of living is comfortable with a 3000 us dollars budget per month for rent, auto, food, extra insurance---
the cost to get there doesn't need to be included

pluses will be English speaking, driving on the right side of the road and a nearby stable from which I can lease a riding horse while i'm there.
scenic drives are better than museums; quaint villages good, beach hustlers not so much.

hope I can pull this trip off, the research alone is a bit overwhelming!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:09 AM

5,705 posts, read 9,084,373 times
I'm thinking about Ambergris Cay (Belize), Hua Hin (Thailand) , Jaco (CR), Yelapa (Mexico).

Old 04-27-2013, 10:14 AM

762 posts, read 1,321,808 times
Florida Keys for sure!!! with 3k you could get a lot! like a small conch house on a boating house with open water access you would have money left to once every so often rent a boat at a decent weekly rate or better yet make friends with the neighbors and use their boat!! I would rent a car through hotwire or priceline and change up vehicles every month. its a great scenic drive anywhere along route US1 the main road in the keys. you can catch your fresh fish/lobster dinner close by or outback of the house. there are plenty of corral reefs and shipwrecks to go scuba diving on. you got the beach close to miami (big city) or key west (small "quaint village" city) you have a hospital/medical center about an hour or less pretty much anywhere in the keys and if something bad were to happen Trama Star helicopter will take to Miami for medical care. I am not much into horses but i suspect someplace in the keys definitely offers horses for riding they offer just about everything else!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,282,243 times
your budget is US$3000/month? honestly, with that kind of budget you can go pretty much anywhere you want (aside from ultra-expensive resort towns - which doesn't sound like what you're looking for anyway). what are you looking for exactly? you listed a few preferences, but that's not enough to go on. what's a destination you're interested in?

Old 04-27-2013, 06:22 PM

13,363 posts, read 38,771,077 times
Probably too cold to come here. It doesn't snow, but it gets cold. Scuba--not so much.We get winter.

But there are stables. I love it here. Amelia Island is the southernmost barrier Sea Island. We are Florida, but are just 20 minutes south of Georgia.

What a tough problem. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel