U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:25 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,251,553 times

Advertisements

Hi there
Just wondering what an ultimate trip ; driving or otherwise would be for some.

For us ; we live in NY now but are from Ireland. Our ultimate trip and we would love to do it when the kids are grown.

Leave from NY, drive to Alaska, drive across the Bering strait to Russia, drive thru Russia, Europe and arrive in ireland.

That would be our dream. who knows.

dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,778,121 times
Cruise the South Pacific in a private crewed yacht - spending saying 2-3 years in the area, making my way from Easter Island over to SE Asia.

Ken

Old 11-01-2007, 06:57 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,911,924 times
Dorothy, your trip sounds really interesting, sort of the opposite of what Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman did.
LordBalfor, my husband would love to do what you propose, though maybe for a shorter time.
My ultimate trip would be exploring the gardens of the world. I've seen many, but there are many, many that I have not.
I'll never be able to see all of them, but I would probably settle for Europe, both Western as well as Eastern. Maybe I would start out in the south in March, Greece or Turkey, and zigzag my way north, finishing up in Finland or someplace else in Scandinavia, finishing by the end of June or mid-July.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:05 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,545,172 times
I would start with the US 1st....stop at every silly attraction in every State.
After that I would hit Europe, Canada, Africa.....you get the picture.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,511,434 times
Though I have been to much of Europe and Canada and taken a Mediterranean cruise , my best trip was one I took alone to Yorkshire and the Lake District. I wanted to wake up right in the heart of the Dales, so I reserved one night at a farm B&B not far from the nearest town which I used as my base. From that town, I took buses to all the small towns nearby, stopping to stroll, to take some tea, look in the shops, and enjoy the best scenery in the world. From there I took the train to the Lake District and did much of the same. That was my ultimate trip.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:13 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times
My dream vacation? To see the world...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:59 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
That really does sound like the Ultimate trip, dorthy! would be loads of fun and think how much you would see! what kinds of places would you stop in?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:19 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,251,553 times
We hopefully would have all the time in the world. So I would love to cross America again ; we did it once and ended up in Vancover ; ran out of time so had to return to NY.
But I would start here and drive thru the south and up the coast ; Loved the redwood forest.
Then thru BC and back in to usa to Alaska ; I would love to spend time there watching bears, looking at the sights etc while waiting for the Bering sea to freeze over so we could drive it.
Into Siberia ; we would probably have to try to stop there also to let winter go by. My dh was in Russia years ago but it would be wonderful just to drive thru the country and avoid cities. Then thru eastern europe ; poland, czech republic, all the eastern european countries that have opened up and the amount of history that would be there. I am not a history buff in the book sense, but rather see it. We have been gone to Dachau and would like to go again. So obviously Germany is on the cards.

Then thru Northern Germany and into Finland, Sweden, Denmark. Gosh this would take about 2 years to do it properly.

Into Scotland and england, visit family and then jump across the pond to Ireland.

Our kids are only in 2nd and 3rd grade now, so we have at least 10 years to plan it.

anyone else??
dorothy

Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 AM

13,885 posts, read 25,311,688 times
I started planning this year for a trip in 09. We are going with friends from CA and Australia. So far, we are going to Italy, Greece, Turkey, and Egypt. 2 cruises, one in the Med and 1 on the Nile River. It's an interesting group. Aussies, Americans, Jews, Christians, Muslims, and a couple agnostics. Strange but we all get along great. We're planning on about 6 weeks total. I may have to leave early or arrive late because these other people have more money than me! But at least I get to go. We all met in Vegas this year and had a ball.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,361,282 times
Drive the Silk Road to China. The highway from Alaska to Patagonia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel