Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:09 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times

Advertisements

In a couple of the threads around, I was startled to find that I was about to suggest routes based on trying to avoid Maryland and New Jersey because of traffic and experiences I had long ago with hinky cops/troopers trying to be jerks and improve state revenues. That may no longer be the case, but it left me wondering if there is any consensus on states to avoid because of bad driving experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I'd try to avoid northern states in the dead of winter.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
One state that I don't like driving in is North Carolina, because it is nearly impossible to wander across the state off the main highways. The secondary roads are unnumbered and signposted with only local names that change every few miles, and one becomes immediately hopelessly lost if turning off a main numbered highway. Illinois and Oklahoma are somewhat like that, too, but at least their roads go more or less straight NS or EW. If I have to stay on main highways, I'd just as soon not drive there at all. I've never used GPS, but that probably makes it different.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
AVOID

Oregon if you want to fill your own gas tank, or if you want to drive faster than 65mph.

Nebraska when hauling a corpse. (They WON'T recognize your legal transit permit issued in another state).

CA if you don't like traffic (I don't even like Stop lights... NONE in my County)

NV and AZ if on a motorcycle in Summer. (hot feet)

MA if you get dizzy going in circles.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I have driven in every state and most provinces and can't say that there are any that I avoid or have had a problem driving in. The worst is probably some of the plains states if only for the tedium.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:59 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Texas! But you can get thru it in three hours on I-40 going thru Amarillo.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:50 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
New Mexico

Don't know how bad it is now, but it is one of the few places where I have actually grabbed for a gun while driving around minding my own bi'ness.

Years ago, the joke used to be that if you drove through New Mexico and you were stopped, it was because you were committing a crime: Being a resident of Texas.
You would be written a ticket, and forced to sign a "Confession of guilt" (something I did not think happened in America) If you refused to sign it, you were then taken to the nearest jail where you had to wait for a judge, who would declare you guilty of whatever the arresting officer said and charge you a hefty fine plus court costs.

SO I get pulled over, of course near Albuquerque and the Highway Patrol who stopped me said he was writing me a ticket for speeding. Never let me see the radar gun, or the inspection sticker for it. Told me he'd take me in if I argued. Well, the guy was too dumb to ask if the Drivers License I gave him was valid or not, he copies it onto the ticket and sends me on my way. Gives me a written citation for $300.
I never paid it. That was some 2 years ago.
A year or so later, I checked with the Texas Dept of Public safety, told them the story, wanted to know if New Mexico sent out any warrants for me. They laughed and said "NO but we get calls like yours all the time. Don;t even worry about it" SO just for fun, I call long distance to the New Mexico department, they look it up and say "Oh yeah we sent out a warrant for you but we never heard back, did you move or something?" I just laughed and said a few obscenities and hung up.

Doubt after 23 years they can do anything about it, but i New Mexico , one never knows.
I have no plans to go or pass through there again.

My friend in West Texas who is a cop says that they frequently still harass people in Texas who come across from New Mexico, so possibly things have not changed. This in retaliation to what they see as unfair legal practices in New Mexico.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:11 AM

844 posts, read 1,657,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
New Mexico

Don't know how bad it is now, but it is one of the few places where I have actually grabbed for a gun while driving around minding my own bi'ness.

Years ago, the joke used to be that if you drove through New Mexico and you were stopped, it was because you were committing a crime: Being a resident of Texas.
You would be written a ticket, and forced to sign a "Confession of guilt" (something I did not think happened in America) If you refused to sign it, you were then taken to the nearest jail where you had to wait for a judge, who would declare you guilty of whatever the arresting officer said and charge you a hefty fine plus court costs.

SO I get pulled over, of course near Albuquerque and the Highway Patrol who stopped me said he was writing me a ticket for speeding. Never let me see the radar gun, or the inspection sticker for it. Told me he'd take me in if I argued. Well, the guy was too dumb to ask if the Drivers License I gave him was valid or not, he copies it onto the ticket and sends me on my way. Gives me a written citation for $300.
I never paid it. That was some 2 years ago.
A year or so later, I checked with the Texas Dept of Public safety, told them the story, wanted to know if New Mexico sent out any warrants for me. They laughed and said "NO but we get calls like yours all the time. Don;t even worry about it" SO just for fun, I call long distance to the New Mexico department, they look it up and say "Oh yeah we sent out a warrant for you but we never heard back, did you move or something?" I just laughed and said a few obscenities and hung up.

Doubt after 23 years they can do anything about it, but i New Mexico , one never knows.
I have no plans to go or pass through there again.

My friend in West Texas who is a cop says that they frequently still harass people in Texas who come across from New Mexico, so possibly things have not changed. This in retaliation to what they see as unfair legal practices in New Mexico.
That's why I don't do road trip anymore. There are just too many speeding traps.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:15 AM

822 posts, read 2,202,911 times
I try to avoid driving through Oregon b/c not being able to pump my own gas is really annoying.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:25 AM

134 posts, read 276,273 times
drunken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel