Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:42 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Well, we are Disney annual pass holders, and find ourselves there quote often, so I can assure you that half the people in these scooters are NOT disabled in any way.
I saw a kid in the market yesterday, maybe about 12 years old. Of course I have no idea if he was or wasn't disabled, but from the way he was driving it, I have my doubts. I hope I am wrong. No, I don't want to think he had health issues, but I don't want to think his mother allowed him to use the scooter if he didn't need it. I do realize, people can be handicapped and not show it. We all have to be aware of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Here's one thing I don't fully agree with....that those disabled people in scooters or wheelchairs need to go to the front of the line.
They're sitting!
(Before the accusations start....my husband needs one but can sit as long , in fact a lot longer, than I can stand.)
There wouldn't be any reason for the abuse if the chair accomodation was considered enough of an equalizer.

If ,as there are in some instances, a real need for extra special accomodations, those people should be required to apply ahead of time with medical certification. We have to do so just to use already approved oxygen equipment to fly even though it discomfits nobody else in any way.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
It is an open secret that if you go to any amusement park and request wheelchair (for you or your family member), because of whatever health condition ( recent surgery, twisted ankle, chronic back pain etc.) and actually use it all the times around the park, that will let you (in a wheelchair or pushing the wheelchair with "disabled" person) to the front of all those long lines. Same with airlines. You will board first. Some people abuse it.
You're right and it is shameful.

We go there for such a long time, and it seems like in the last 6 to 7 years they increased in numbers so much that the handicapped lines will soon match the regular lines, and only 1 person is truly "handicapped".

What bothers me the most though is that the people using them are heavily obese, and rude. They hit my stroller, or my foot, or bump into us just walking, they SPEED on those small people-packed side walks and not one says: "I am sorry, excuse me, I didn't mean it", none of that. Their behavior is deplorable.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:04 AM

Photo....we were posting at the same time so don't miss my post just before yours.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:05 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
If ,as there are in some instances, a real need for extra special accomodations, those people should be required to apply ahead of time with medical certification. We have to do so just to use already approved oxygen equipment to fly even though it discomfits nobody else in any way.
Yes, if Disney asked to see "proof" of the disability I think the numbers would decimate overnight. You know what else, for going to the "Happiest Place on Earth", NONE of these people smile. Not one.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:41 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,741,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
What's the advantage of early boarding? The airplane won't take off until everyone is on board.
I never understood this either. Unless you are on Southwest where there are no assigned seats. Then it is good to board sooner so you can get a seat. Otherwise there are assigned seats, right? So why rush

Old 05-21-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjb View Post
I never understood this either. Unless you are on Southwest where there are no assigned seats. Then it is good to board sooner so you can get a seat. Otherwise there are assigned seats, right? So why rush
It's not only who gets where sooner, but often, it takes more time and manuevering for a disabled person to get seated so it's much easier with clear aisles

Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Here's one thing I don't fully agree with....that those disabled people in scooters or wheelchairs need to go to the front of the line.
They're sitting!
I read, in one of the articles about the "Disney Scooter Scam," that guests in wheelchairs or scooters are not actually supposed to get ON the ride any faster than anyone else, but that they are supposed to have alternate access (such as entering through the exit) to avoid stairs or other obstacles that a wheelchair couldn't maneuver through. Once they get to their "specially designated area," according to this article, they are supposed to wait whatever the average wait time is before actually being allowed to board.

Of course, what's "supposed to happen" apparently is not what is happening.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Because I can tell the difference clearly when someone's faking something, its not that hard to see (unfortunately some people are really bad at faking things).

I think you are very presumptuous. In 1998 I had a tumor removed from my spine. I was otherwise healthy looking, slender, and able to get in and out of a wheelchair and walk without assistance. Yet I spent two Disney trips in a wheelchair as I was not able to walk long distances as I was recovering. To see me in the chair you probably would have thought I was "faking" it, especially when I got out of it and walked into a rest room or even a restaurant at a normal pace and without a limp. It gave me a new level of compassion and understanding that people can look perfectly healthy and be very ill or have a hidden condition.

Quote:
BTW speaking of bathrooms, just Saturday we were there and the largest HANDICAPPED bathroom was occupied by a completely non-handicapped teen when the rest of the bathroom was not full, on the contrary, plenty of stalls open.
And again you don't know the whole story. A friend of mine had an ileostomy when she was a teen. She wears an ostomy bag that must be emptied and changed several times a day. It's much easier for her to do this in a handicapped stall where she has a little more room, and in ideal circumstances, access to a sink for immediate handwashing. She has a disabling condition that gives her every right to use that stall, regardless of what some random park guest on bathroom patrol seems to think.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I read, in one of the articles about the "Disney Scooter Scam," that guests in wheelchairs or scooters are not actually supposed to get ON the ride any faster than anyone else, but that they are supposed to have alternate access (such as entering through the exit) to avoid stairs or other obstacles that a wheelchair couldn't maneuver through. Once they get to their "specially designated area," according to this article, they are supposed to wait whatever the average wait time is before actually being allowed to board.

Of course, what's "supposed to happen" apparently is not what is happening.
Almost all of the queues have been reconfigured so wheelchairs and scooters can go through the regular line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel