Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 02:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,761,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
We drove N.Michigan to Sturgis SD last summer, it was planned that I was going to be support driver and DH would ride his motorcycle, also some friends of ours were going to ride motorcycles with him. We travelled from NoMi to Minneapolis on state highways and made good time however the portion from Minneapolis to Sturgis (due to sickness) we ended up trailiering DH bike and our friends riding. They took the super slab and we once again took state highways, they got there an hour before us despite our route being longer and involving slowing down for towns and roadworks.

Along the way we passed the towns where The Little House on the Prairie was, we crossed the huge Missouri river and saw the Old Deadwood trail including wagon wheel tracks from way back when.
They saw a few accidents and not a lot more.

This year we planning a cross country tour to visit DH family in Washington, along the way we are once again stopping in at Sturgis (75th year celebrations) and Yellowstone Park, the route so far is all state highways. Can't wait to get out and see this great land!
I run 14 across South Dakota all the time. Depends on the trip. I 90 isn't bad. I do, however, try to stay off the interstate as much as possible. Unless I need to make time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 05:34 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times
For just a leisurely drive, I prefer state or country roads. If I have a time crunch though, interstate. But some routes require you to use both different types anyway.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:44 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,121 times
If driving solo: rental car, full moon for light at night and stay on major highways. If accompanied with another driver, there are more options.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:51 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
In the daytime? I'll take the backroads, but at night, I'd prefer the interstate. I took the backroads driving from Dallas to KC (gps picked the fastest route), and it lead to a road under construction. Was kind of scared that night as I was with family.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:14 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
i prefer the superslabs.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:03 PM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
Interstates get old for me after a couple hours so I look for an alternate route for an hour or two. Better scenery and usually fewer trucks. I plan my trips to allow time for this.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,611,270 times
I must be the only person who actually likes the interstates. My goal is to drive the entire national system of primary interstates (the single- and double-digit routes). (Yeah, I know, strange goal.) If an interstate is available, I'll take if every time (excepting some back roads that are noted for their scenic beauty). If I'm going to use a U.S. or state highway, I prefer it to be divided. But of course, sometimes I don't have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel