U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 13,397,249 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids to consider so I usually try to travel before school is out or in the fall. When I travel, which isn't very often.
Work and procrastination took care of spring and I need a break. While I will probably end up doing some sort of local road trip (I hate to fly and its hard to leave the pets for very long) I really would like to see some of the many places talk about here. I have been really wanting to see the PNW, Glacier NP, the Grand Tetons, Key West (need to save that for some winter trip
I'm a poor planner/procrastinator and hate crowds.
Any destinations to consider in case I do a spontaneous trip (it has happened, not as often as I like but it could)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
30,552 posts, read 50,780,355 times
EZ... summer is GREAT in PNW... Olympic and North Cascades National Park. Very light travel / visitor pressure even in Summer, lots of backpack / day hike accessible areas (might not see another person!).

North Cascades National Park Complex - North Cascades National Park
North Cascades National Park Tourism and Vacations: 19 Things to Do in North Cascades National Park, WA | TripAdvisor

Plan Your Visit - Olympic National Park
Olympic National Park Tourism and Vacations: 31 Things to Do in Olympic National Park, WA | TripAdvisor

Vancouver and Victoria BC are close and nice 'day trips' to civilization. Many other great adventures in PNW summer (many are free),

Portland and Seattle and Vancouver BC are all fairly inexpensvie airport hubs and EZ access to all of PNW. SWA just ran a special last week, look to their low fare calender(BAGS / Camping gear fly free)!!!
I have also been using Spirit air lately ($28 PDX to SAN) it is the pits, but CHEAP.
Can get rental car on Priceline or Hotwire.

Yellowstone and Tetons are not to be missed, but Sept is best (less crowds, less snow). I did Glacier in Sept too, also good time to avoid crowds.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 PM

11,185 posts, read 9,792,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
SWA just ran a special last week, look to their low fare calender(BAGS / Camping gear fly free)!!!
I have also been using Spirit air lately ($28 PDX to SAN) it is the pits, but CHEAP.
Can get rental car on Priceline or Hotwire.

Yellowstone and Tetons are not to be missed, but Sept is best (less crowds, less snow). I did Glacier in Sept too, also good time to avoid crowds.
You obviously didn't read or chose to disregard the original post. The OP chooses not to fly and is trying to plan an uncrowded summer trip. Yellowstone and the Tetons in the summer, really that's what you're suggesting?
I'm watching this thread because I'm the OP's travel twin and would love to see some appropriate responses.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:57 AM

16,489 posts, read 23,465,691 times
Fall is a great time to travel, the heat of summer is fading, school is going again, and many places have beautiful fall colors. I don't know how far you are from some of the national parks like Glacier and Yellowstone, but they are both great places to see. Keep in mind that winter arrives earlier in these places so you don't want to wait until late October to make the trip, maybe mid September. Both parks are beautiful. I think Yellowstone has more thing to see like Yellowstone Falls, paint pots, mud pots, and the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone. The Tetons are beautiful and it is not too far from Jackson Hole WY. which is an artsy unique little town. You also see more animals in Yellowstone Park. Glacier Park is nice as well, although I prefer Yellowstone.

Last edited by brokencrayola; 06-15-2013 at 02:01 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-15-2013, 04:49 AM

Well I will have to fly to any of the national park I mentioned so that's that, even though I hate it.

Good to know that Olympia and PNW has low activity in the summer although I have to say I find that surprising. Maybe we have different definitions of low?

One of the only places I have ever been is Yellowstone which is great and I would love to go back but since I have not been anywhere else I would like to see some other places first.
I would never do Yellowstone in summer, I did it end of Sept and it was still very crowded.

People always seem to put Glacier third after YS or Grand Tetons which is fine. I'm considering it as a summer trip contender because it seems like summer is the only time you can really do Glacier so you have no choice, if you want to drive the Going to the Sun Road anyway. I think they just got it completely plowed recently.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:46 AM

35,316 posts, read 48,742,680 times
I'm getting the impression you are in the Northwest so a drive to Canadas Maritme provinces might be a bit far but how about exploring Vancouver Island or further north the Queen Charlotte Islands or a cruise up to Alaska..Just throwing out some ideas you may not have considered

Old 06-15-2013, 12:29 PM

No no, Midwest. Will look up Queen Charlote Islands? Cruise's sound like my version of hell.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 AM

35,316 posts, read 48,742,680 times
I hear ya on the idea of a cruise but an Alaska cruise is a bit different it isnt just sitting out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico visiting little artificial tropical tourist enclaves, an Alaska cruise is all about the scenery.
https://www.google.ca/search?safe=ac...mg.A5Cb1HcbcRg

Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 AM

Still its being stuck in someone else;'s itinerary, timetable. No choices, you can't leave even if all the toilets stop working. I can't stand the idea of that. Plus they aren't very environmentally friendly.
No cruises.
Ok then. No untrampled summer destinations, except maybe the PNW generically.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:06 AM

26,589 posts, read 59,470,298 times
Drive north and explore Calgary! Great place to spend a week, and you could easily make a day trip out of Banff. Go either early June or late summer. July is very crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel