Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 11:47 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
But I prefer the "exit" signs on German autobahns that say "Ausfahrt."
Uhmmm ... if you like *Ausfahrt*, what do you think when you see *Einfahrt* ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Quote:
It's actually "Uitrit", and the "uit" sounds a bit like a Canadian saying "out."

But I prefer the "exit" signs on German autobahns that say "Ausfahrt."
"Ootreet" that's exactly right. The memory fades. In my own defense I should mention that by the time I found the exit/Uitrit sign I was pretty desperate because the rental car company in Brussels was late getting me a car and when it showed up two hours late, they just slammed me into a Peugot and showed me the way to the highway. I didn't ask for any additional instructions on the car,my bad. Thus I ended up NOT knowing how to get into reverse and had to proceed into a garage I didn't particularly want to be in because I couldn't back up.. Thank God the attendant at the "uitrit" spoke English (they all do pretty much" and showed me that the gear for reverse was at the end of the brake handle. I 'd still be there trying to figure it out. Also since I wasn't doing too well at changing gears, I ended up driving the whole week in second, or it felt like second. Ah, memories.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:26 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Thus I ended up NOT knowing how to get into reverse and had to proceed into a garage I didn't particularly want to be in because I couldn't back up.. Thank God the attendant at the "uitrit" spoke English (they all do pretty much" and showed me that the gear for reverse was at the end of the brake handle. I 'd still be there trying to figure it out.
Ha, the same thing happened to me in London once. The Vauxhall Corsa I rented had a reverse gear in the usual place (as indicated on the gearshift knob) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to engage. So I found a parking spot, got out and PUSHED the car backwards into the spot the best I could, and ran to a nearby phone box. The nice Avis lady explained that I had to lift up a little ring at the base of the shift knob to get it into reverse. Well, how was I supposed to know that??

Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Ha, the same thing happened to me in London once. The Vauxhall Corsa I rented had a reverse gear in the usual place (as indicated on the gearshift knob) but for the life of me I couldn't get it to engage. So I found a parking spot, got out and PUSHED the car backwards into the spot the best I could, and ran to a nearby phone box. The nice Avis lady explained that I had to lift up a little ring at the base of the shift knob to get it into reverse. Well, how was I supposed to know that??
Was there a car manual (handbook) in the car?

It might have been good if someone had gone over the controls with you when you picked the car up.

Not sure they do that these days.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Now about those day trips from Brussels........

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
No day trip here, but try some spekuloos (sp) butter (like peanut butter) in a grocery.
I bought a case of it the other day.

Scrumptuous.

You'll be able to waddle home!

Old 07-24-2013, 04:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
Thanks for the food suggestion Chielgirl. I have never heard of spekuloos butter but would be willing to give it a try.

However, back on topic. Has anyone ever been to Weris area and seen the dolmans and ancient stone monuments?

All of my info has been gained from the web and I can not tell if the sites are worth visiting considering our limited time. I have been to sites like Newgrange, Clava Cairns and Stonehenge but none of the other members of our party have been to any of them.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTarge13 View Post
Thanks for the food suggestion Chielgirl. I have never heard of spekuloos butter but would be willing to give it a try.

However, back on topic. Has anyone ever been to Weris area and seen the dolmans and ancient stone monuments?

All of my info has been gained from the web and I can not tell if the sites are worth visiting considering our limited time. I have been to sites like Newgrange, Clava Cairns and Stonehenge but none of the other members of our party have been to any of them.
I'd check out World Heritage Sites and Trip Advisor to see if it will be worth the trip.

amazingvillages.com :: Village :: Wéris (Belgium)

Dolmens and Menhirs Wéris, Belgium - YouTube

Looks nice.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'd check out World Heritage Sites and Trip Advisor to see if it will be worth the trip.

amazingvillages.com :: Village :: Wéris (Belgium)

Dolmens and Menhirs Wéris, Belgium - YouTube

Looks nice.
This is very helpful, chiel. Thank you so much!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:44 PM

That's generally a nice area.
The town of Arlon is quite nice. We ended up at a festival last weekend.

My work buddy went here.
This is Chateau de Veves (also in the same area as Arlon & Weris)

Enjoy your time, all.
I think Belgium is one of Europe's best kept secrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel